Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125 clutch won’t disengage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: 125 clutch won’t disengage Reply with quote

Got a KX125 bought as a none runner with burnt out clutch, got a new clutch fitted and an managed to get it started, fitted the clutch exactly how it is in the manual, yet when in gear it won’t disengage and the cable is far to tight, loosened it as much as I can even taken off the lever tightened and it’s still too tight.

When I unhook the cable it will disengage the clutch, the lever on the basket looks fine and points as it should, I’m thinking the plates are too thick and I may need a different clutch cable to compensate?

Any ideas?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:11 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Re: 125 clutch won’t disengage Reply with quote

Farmingstock wrote:
Got a KX125 bought as a none runner with burnt out clutch, got a new clutch fitted and an managed to get it started, fitted the clutch exactly how it is in the manual, yet when in gear it won’t disengage and the cable is far to tight, loosened it as much as I can even taken off the lever tightened and it’s still too tight.

When I unhook the cable it will disengage the clutch, the lever on the basket looks fine and points as it should, I’m thinking the plates are too thick and I may need a different clutch cable to compensate?

Any ideas?

You have just installed something wrong.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:19 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s been installed exactly how it is in the manual, exactly the same as the YouTube videos I’ve watched?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:30 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may think it is installed correctly but it clearly isn't. You don't adjust clutches by changing the cable.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:38 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not sure how it can be fitted incorrectly when it’s fitted exactly the same way as it shows in the manual?

Most parts can only be fitted one way? It came as a none runner without the clutch working so may have been an issue all along!

Washers are in the right place, plates are in the right place, bolts and springs same as all diagrams and photos!

Easy to say must be fit wrong, instead of plates, may be to thick, cable might be incorrect, or to suggest a helpful way of checking anything!

I thought that was what a forum is for?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:48 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS, brand new plates being too thick?

They are made for the fucking bike, as is the cable!

If the cable wasn't the issue before the clutch rebuild, it isn't now.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:25 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again

Bought the bike as a none runner with burnt out clutch in bits, no idea of whether the cable is right? Clutch is for the bike but not oem as not available

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too thick plates would mean you couldnt disengage the clutch, so you can throw that cockamamy idea away immediately.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:56 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally a helpful response, I’ve changed the handle bar clutch lever to the other one the bike came with, there was a new one which I fitted and an old snapped one. The clutch works fine with the old snapped lever on.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible new plates could be too thick. Does it specify in the manual what their thickness could be compared to what you have? Just a few tenths of a mm thicker plate times 5 or 6 can make a big difference all added up when stacked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:09 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you fitted the wrong part, namely the lever.

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:13 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So you fitted the wrong part, namely the lever.

I fitted the part that came with the bike mr positive!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:28 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say youd changed the lever. Missing information.

Did you check that the lever was exactly the same size as the broken one (apart from the obviously snapped off bit)?

Farmingstock
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:35 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of the lever that the cable goes into is further away and at a longer angle on the new lever, which will account for the cable stretch, the cable is still tight and at its longest setting, but it works now. It’s a 1986 bike so parts are not the easiest to come by!

I have found an OG cable which I’ve ordered, just in case the one that’s on it is wrong, there are a few other things that have been put on the bike that are wrong, exhaust, random bolts, etc. would make a good project for someone that wants to restore a classic!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBF I've had a few times where the cable has fucked things up. I would suggest you can't go wrong with visually inspecting clutch disengagement. i.e. oil out, pull the side panel and see the clutch pack moves as you work the lever. If there's an external clutch arm you can get to can you whack on some mole grips to bypass the cable?

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 11 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so very confused by this entire thread...

When a clutch is engaged the engine is connected to the gearbox and it drives.

When a clutch is disengaged the engine is disconnected - you can sit in gear with the engine running etc.

A cable being too tight (incorrect cable or incorrect lever) may cause the clutch to be permanently disengaged.

Plates being too thick may cause the clutch to be permanently engaged even when you pull the lever (i.e. tighten the cable).

They cause exact opposite problems, yet both have been postulated as the cause

I'm intrigued enough to say - what?.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1