BCF: Bike Chat Forums

oil change

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: oil change Reply with quote

my annual mileage is below 1000. do i need to change the oil filter along with the oil at the yearly service? it seems wasteful for the small amount of usage its had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends...

If you're following manufacturer recommendations on a newer bike because warranty/history/convention/resale, then follow what it says regarding mileage/time (whichever occurs soonest).

If it's a middle age runabout with no eye to resale and unlikely to be a "future classic", then I'd be judging it on the oil - if it's clean and good I'd leave it for a couple of changes, if I bothered changing the oil at all if it's that good. Modern (since about 1986 Wink) oils are good for at least a few thousand miles and a fair few years as long as it's not ridden hard and put up wet.

Really old engines that sit for months on end and are only used high days and holidays - oil flush and change before putting away, way overfilled, then new oil and filter at the commencement of each riding period.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Re: oil change Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
my annual mileage is below 1000. do i need to change the oil filter along with the oil at the yearly service? it seems wasteful for the small amount of usage its had.

Nah.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Re: oil change Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Project Farm did a very nice comparison on this very subject.

https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4?si=2uzE3iHNj0l6zF_1

Bottom line, no massive need to replace oil at low miles.

Caveat, depends on what conditions the oil has been exposed to.
Short stop-start, cold engine conditions where water vapour and unburned fuel in the combustion space may be a small issue. The more cold runs it does, statistically, the more exposure to that type of stress.

Doing an oil filter change 'properly' is possibly more effective as a maintenance regime as doing frequent oil services.

The oil to be changed must be very well mixed, and warm enough to drain freely.
Solids in the oil can fall out of suspension when sitting for some time.
Like it says on the Italian Salad dressing, Shake well.

Also, every biker should, realistically, and in theory have clashed together a friction tester like Project Farm's one.

You know you want/need one. Cool

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YZF1000R service chart I looked at said new oil filter every 8000 miles, so I wouldn't swap it out at <1000 unless I felt it needed it.

My reference you may find it useful

https://maintenanceschedule.com/yamaha-yzf1000r-thunderace-maintenance/#about-the-yamaha-yzf1000r-thunderace

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:35 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is oil is to lubricate, the filter is to remove particulates. The lubrication properties of the oil is a function of both mileage and time. The production of particulates is a function of mileage alone.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many health goorooz that spout about oil.
Mostly from anecdotal Hoccus-Poccus.
Evidence Based Data is a good place to begin.

Previously Planned maintenance was based on failure rate.
Engineers collected data, calculations were made and recommendations published.

Stuff changes and the data evolves.
Now we see servicing at 20000 miles.
Condition Based Servicing.
That saves costs, time and resources.
CBS has been in place for many years now and there is no evidence to suggest that it is flawed.
Using good quality oil and filters help ensure things behave as predicted.

We have pickups with 1500000 kilometres on the engines and transmission.
Used in +50°C desert conditions. (Mostly motorway)
They don't run like new but they don't often crater either.
We change oil and filters at 10k km. just for shits and guggles.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

That MCN sed
"We have pickups with 1500000 kilometres on the engines and transmission.
Used in +50°C desert conditions. (Mostly motorway)"

Motorway?, yeah right, mortarway more like

https://imgur.com/YiuuL4M.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
That MCN sed
"We have pickups with 1500000 kilometres on the engines and transmission.
Used in +50°C desert conditions. (Mostly motorway)"

Motorway?, yeah right, mortarway more like

https://imgur.com/YiuuL4M.jpg

Things of that nature.

Laughing

Alhamdulillah School of Advanced Motoring.

Alan's Snack Bar School of Motoring.

The Beduin Tribals of Saudi Peninsula known colloquially as Badoo. Herd sheep's, Camals and Coos.
Mainly agricultural side of things.

They drive a vehicle like they do a camel/pony/donkey or woman.
Like they stole it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted twice as.much shite as required.

Last edited by MCN on 18:45 - 12 May 2024; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is kept in a dry garage it should be fine left 2 or 3 years with very low mileage.
I have two similar and tend to do them every other year.
It also depends how you use them, if low mileage is result of typically only doing say 2 miles to work it won't be getting hot enough to expel moisture, but if you tend to do half a dozen 50 mile day trips that is generally better for them IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bike is kept in an internal garage and only taken on longish joyrides in excess of 1 hour.
i use quality service parts. Motul oil waiting to go in this service.
and only covered about 600 miles last year.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way I would change the oil based on time, not with modern oils anyway.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor concern is atmospheric air reaching parts inside the engine/transmission that are not painted parts.
Regular started replaces oil coating.
Oil eventually runs off and displaced by condensation that forms during warm-cold climatic cycles.
If you were to open an casing that's been stored for a few months unprotected, there is a good possibility that surface rust will be visible.
When we 'long-term' store engines, we run the engine to warm and mix the oil. Drop the oil. Replace the filter. Refill the engine with oil mixed with VCI Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors additive. We go pedant and remove valve covers ,side doors, and spray those compartments with the same mix. Open inlet manifolds, aftercoolers and exhaust manifold and spray inside. Then bung all vents with air tight plugs. Tag the engine with reactivation instructions for when it comes out of storage.
That's to prevent moisture in atmospheric air doing its thing.

Putting a good bike cover over a bike in a garage will help as a moisture barrier.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do it often other than mileage now too. Cars, bikes included.

Didn't change the CX oil for 4 years, just kept topping it up with old oil from the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 12 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor concern is atmospheric air reaching parts inside the engine/transmission that are not painted parts.
Regular started replaces oil coating.
Oil eventually runs off and displaced by condensation that forms during warm-cold climatic cycles.
If you were to open an casing that's been stored for a few months unprotected, there is a good possibility that surface rust will be visible.
When we 'long-term' store engines, we run the engine to warm and mix the oil. Drop the oil. Replace the filter. Refill the engine with oil mixed with VCI Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors additive. We go pedant and remove valve covers ,side doors, and spray those compartments with the same mix. Open inlet manifolds, aftercoolers and exhaust manifold and spray inside. Then bung all vents with air tight plugs. Tag the engine with reactivation instructions for when it comes out of storage.
That's to prevent moisture in atmospheric air doing its thing.

Putting a good bike cover over a bike in a garage will help as a moisture barrier.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1