100mph Petition. Yay or nay?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Never gonna happen, and to be honest does it really need to be?

There should be a second driving licence for people who aren't complete spastics and are allowed a little more leeway with the rules Razz
Why not? That's the point.. People already safely do it.

Agreed, and this may be the compromise.. maybe those who want to go faster could pass an advanced driving test and carry a badge of honour on their licences to prove their capabilities - so when they are caught/stopped/fined they present their certificate and the punishment is void.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Speed Limit in the UK (and other thinking nations) is governed by unchangable physics.

And the stopping distance as related to vehcile speed.

The overall stopping distance, which many road users believe is just a list of numbers is a rather amazing law of physics.

Just increasing the speed from 70mph to 80mph doesn't relate to a simple extra overall stopping distance.
The maths for that uses the square of one value to provide the distance.

It looks wrong but its quite well established.

People argue that the numbers were arrived at when cars took longer to stop.
Maybe.

But cars now travel much faster and in more comfort for the driver so appreciation of speed can be skewed.

I think 70mph is too fast for some road users.
Better lane discipline would be a more advantageous campaign to champion.
Use the lanes properly. Move out when safe. Pass the slower vehicle vehicle move back in when the manoeuvre is complete.
Have patience.
Consider lesser mortals.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Consider lesser mortals.

Never Mad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 13 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
MCN wrote:
Consider lesser mortals.

Never Mad

You are an arsewhole and I claim my five pounds.

Laughing Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 14 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
100 mph, you say? Sure, as Polarbear says, the current speed limit of 80 mph was set back when... but so were the roads in question built. Smile

As for the German model, their TüV (MOT) ensures only the tourists drive poor condition cars there. Let's not forget, that Germans are also rather orderly drivers, so once again, only tourists do stupid things on the Autobahn.

I visited Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg last year. Now, roughly 60% of the time on the Autobahn, going from the very east of Bavaria to the very west of the Baden-Württemberg there was a speed limit of 130 km/h, due to poor road condition, dense traffic and road works of all sorts.

Anyway, it was cool to cruise at 180 km/h when possible, reaching the top speed of 235 km/h. You get comfortable very quickly. That being said, the only time I've realised how fast I was going was the time I had to do emergency braking from said 180 km/h down to about 100 km/h, because of one unorderly tourist driver. So, that's one thing to take into consideration, especially when it's safe to say, as Easy-X mentions, the British MOT, just like the Czech equivalent, is not as strict as the German TüV.

Agree. I live in Bavaria and its nice to be able to go as fast as you can.

Bear in mind this is not necessarily good thing for motorbikes. If you are with a street bike no fairing like mine the wind blast is a thing. And you need to be mindful of BMWs going way faster then you in the fast lane.

I can't remember anyone overatking my bike with a car in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
100 mph, you say? Sure, as Polarbear says, the current speed limit of 80 mph was set back when... but so were the roads in question built. Smile

As for the German model, their TüV (MOT) ensures only the tourists drive poor condition cars there. Let's not forget, that Germans are also rather orderly drivers, so once again, only tourists do stupid things on the Autobahn.

I visited Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg last year. Now, roughly 60% of the time on the Autobahn, going from the very east of Bavaria to the very west of the Baden-Württemberg there was a speed limit of 130 km/h, due to poor road condition, dense traffic and road works of all sorts.

Anyway, it was cool to cruise at 180 km/h when possible, reaching the top speed of 235 km/h. You get comfortable very quickly. That being said, the only time I've realised how fast I was going was the time I had to do emergency braking from said 180 km/h down to about 100 km/h, because of one unorderly tourist driver. So, that's one thing to take into consideration, especially when it's safe to say, as Easy-X mentions, the British MOT, just like the Czech equivalent, is not as strict as the German TüV.

There are Nazis in their Twatpanzerwagons on the autobahn who haven't remembered who won the fuking war.
The tail gaiting then the headlamp flashing is comical.

I'm no dither on the road but if I'm waiting for the slow coach in front to get out the fking way there's noting I can do but wait.
But Hansel and Gretel don't give any quarter to anyone in front.

It's a shame really, because cnuts like me slow down when tailgated.
That's to reduce the speed and maybe increase the distance between me and the vehicle behind.
I relaxes me.
Her UberHanzUntzkoch goes fecking purple with rage though. Cool

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 21 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I am not in favour 100mph
Doing 100mph on a bike is extremely different doing it in a car.
The wind buffering on you at 100mph is far more intense than at 70mph plus that sustained for a longer period of time on the bike is really fatiguing.
Good fuel consumption goes out the window at 100mph vs 70mph
Can HGV lorries even get to 100mph?

You have less time to react to stuff at 100mph vs 70mph

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:48 - 21 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm for less law and regulation. Scrap all the limits and leave the people to choose their own speed when outta town. I'm not going to do 100mph everywhere - fuel would dissipate quicker than a virgins knickers on the Jimmy Savile show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 21 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A1(M) police stinger deployed after motorbike exceeds 160mph

Quote:
The rider chose to stop before being stung, and gave himself up to police. The rider was reported for various offences, including excess speed, riding without due care and attention / careless and inconsiderate riding.

Those sound like the same offence. Will they pick one, or prosecute for all three?

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
Nope I am not in favour 100mph
Doing 100mph on a bike is extremely different doing it in a car.
The wind buffering on you at 100mph is far more intense than at 70mph plus that sustained for a longer period of time on the bike is really fatiguing.
Good fuel consumption goes out the window at 100mph vs 70mph

You have less time to react to stuff at 100mph vs 70mph
I don't recall anyone saying you HAVE to do the fastest speed, but I think that concern you have says alot about perspective.

lingeringstin...
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:44 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most absurd fucking thing I've heard this year so far. The idiots that already regularly go a hundred plus miles per hour on the motorways (quite a lot of them are on motorcycles) would just take that to mean it's now OK to do 160mph (while making a video of it for their social media faggots) and as usual it's people NOT driving like fucking imbeciles that inevitably get taken out by these morons.

The pothole-encrusted roads of Great Britain are not race tracks. It's perfectly legal for people to drive vintage cars and small bikes of less than 10 horsepower on these same roads, so telling the jerks on the fashion statement vehicles it's OK to drive/ride like a prick is just asking for disaster.

Tractors and wildlife (fucking pheasants!) are a common factor as well. It rains like ALL THE BLOODY TIME in many parts of the UK and most British people instinctively drive faster in the rain and fog than they do in the dry. I don't know why that is but after more than a decade of motorcycle courier work I know it's true.

In my opinion the average public dipshit shouldn't be allowed to have more than 35 horsepower of anything without special training because most people these days hurling themselves around in modern giant mental illness cars with unnecessarily enormous wheels and dangerously bright headlights set directly at YOUR eye level are too fucking busy playing with their phones or contemplating the thousand different functions on their car stereo systems to pay any fucking attention to where they're going.

You want to drive a hundred? GO TO A FUCKING TRACK AND DO IT THERE, YOU FUCKING CUNTS.

TravisBickle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

I got close once, downhill on A21 in a bin lorry.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens to the between charge range on these electric cars that you lot love so much when you buzz around at a ton?

Got home early today, managed to reduce my 90 mile trip home by a few minutes by setting the cruise control at 85 when I hit the interstate. Those extra few minutes made diddly squat difference but knocked my gas use down to a measly 16mpg (US gallons), even at 3 bucks a gallon that sucks.

TravisBickle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
What happens to the between charge range on these electric cars that you lot love so much when you buzz around at a ton?

Got home early today, managed to reduce my 90 mile trip home by a few minutes by setting the cruise control at 85 when I hit the interstate. Those extra few minutes made diddly squat difference but knocked my gas use down to a measly 16mpg (US gallons), even at 3 bucks a gallon that sucks.

I agree

Even cruising at 50mph or 60mph makes little difference on an average journey time opposed to 70mph but return WAY better mpg.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:

I agree

Even cruising at 50mph or 60mph makes little difference on an average journey time opposed to 70mph but return WAY better mpg.

60mph gets me a healthy 18mpg... Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2