Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R6 track bike 'project'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
 Topic moved: from Bikes & Accessories to Racing & Trackdays by Korn (26 Sep 2005 - 23:16)
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:52 - 05 Sep 2005    Post subject: R6 track bike 'project' [FOR SALE] Reply with quote

Thought I might as well post this up here, as usual I'm apparantly being 'too honest' with my description:

I'm selling up as I'm looking for something that won't require quite as much money spent as I'd expect to be spending in SS600 next year.

I would definitely be interested in a swap for a minitwin, cash either way.

The good bits:
Minor tuning (ignition advancer, can, jetting), so reliable engine.

Ohlins Race shock (with high and low speed compression adjustment)

Ohlins fork internals

Matris Damper

Akrapovic Can

Bike has v5 and is not a HPI write off etc (on sorn at the mo)

Decent set of supercorsas on it (about 25 laps of brands GP, including practice/warm up laps.)

Ram air setup (this has been disconnected, but is easy to reconnect - it was not the cause of the below carb problem as I thought it might have been)

https://www.bcfracing.com/diaries/cadwell/Img_9281.jpg
big pic: https://traxpics.co.uk/SHOW-20050529-Cadwel...l/Img_78594.jpg
More pics available if requested

The bad bits (or why it needs some work)
Head bearings overtight. I managed to mess up the torques when these were first installed.
The bike still works fine, but at slow speed can feel slightly like the steering damper is turned up
Hasn't caused me any problems.

Stripped crash bung threads. These will probably need the engine out to repair, but shouldn't be too much hassle once you have got it out - I haven't really had the time to get it out in the first place though.

There is a carb problem (these carbs have been modified with a blocked air jet??, as well as general jetting kits)
The bike cuts out when idling for a bit when it's hot.
So far this hasn't effected my actual races - but has meant that it sometimes won't run when I get back into the paddock - while running at a decent pace (even on the cool down lap) it's kept going.
It does actually stay running when this problem shows it's head, but the best you get is a lumpy idle at full revs! (maybe something overheating, causing the petrol to vapourise)

Note for those that have seen me faffing at the Brands Indy and Cadwell rounds - thanks to much help from Mark Hill, the power delivery problems turned out to be down to me installing the carbs a bit too hastily after trying to sort out the other carb problems! (repeatedly leaving a small airgap after not fully undoing rubbers - doh.)
I'd managed a 10th place at Lydden, with more to go if I hadn't managed to mess up installing the carbs in the later rounds (I only ever intended to do a few races, due to financial reasons, so have missed a few rounds).
I've been meaning to get it Down to MH's dyno, as he reckoned it could be sorted fairly easily, but haven't had the time or money recently.

Before the Brands GP round I took it to a trackday and it behaved perfectly, not so well in the race day though - but at least I'd parked down the hill (it was fine in the actual races, just did the lumpy idle in the pits).

Make me an offer... I appriecate it may be more of a 'winter project' (if you've got as little free time as I do anyway Smile ) so appreciate offers will be in relation to this.
If you are looking for a particularly cheap bike, I would probably take the Ohlins suspension and Matris damper off, replacing the suspension with original items.

If you are looking for a full package, I have got a wide range of spares and would be happy to negotiate a deal for a 'package'.
I've got wets on wheels, original suspension, some spare body work.
Spare engine (needs refresh), 2003 ecu (higher redline), wiring loom, forks, yolks, swing arm, shock and quite a lot more bits and pieces
Got a complete set of road body work, including original can and brand new tank as well!

I'm looking at doing minitwins next year, so if you're got an SV, I'd be interested in a px, with money either way. Or if you're got anything else of interest, though don't expect me to be so interested in a swap for your collection of antqiue chinese dolls!

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it take much to turn it into a road legal bike again???

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:20 - 07 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several People have now asked about buying it as a road bike.

Conditions are all from what I remember as I haven't looked recently, if I get someone fairly serious about it I will gather all the pieces and report if I've got the conditions wrong.
Fairings are generally in good condition - but expect the occasional stone chip etc. Don't think there's any too serious scratches.
The head light at some point has been repaired, externally it looks fine and is structually fine, but on closer inspection you can see the repair to the internal setion - this can not be seen when it is installed.
I have an original undertray with indicators attached, should have the brake light somewhere. Rear seat I'm pretty sure I got somewhere as well. I think I should also have the rear set lock, but not 100% on this.
Should have a spare horn somewhere as well.
If I'm putting road forks back on, one has a slight weep from one of the seals (new seal shouldn't be more than £5.)
I believe all the empty sockets for lights etc are present on the wiring loom, but haven't really looked in detail. If need be I do have a spare wiring loom which I'll include free of charge.

The only part I can think of that I'm missing is a road clocks/headlight bracket - I have got a broken one from another bike I think, if I can find it I'd be happy to include it - should be an easy repair if you can weld or get it to someone that can.
These go from about £20 on ebay, depending how lucky you are.

What I would be looking at doing would be to swap over the forks and shock, take off the steering damper and rear fairing, then provide the buyer with a big pile of road parts to assemble as they will.

I've got several people interested in this sort of package, I would be looking at £2k for the lot, but if you want to make a higher offer than others, I'll sell to you Smile - I've already got one person that expressed a serious interest at this amount (not BCF).

I've got the original exhaust as well as an Akrapovic and a Micron end can.
You can have which ever you want, chuck me another £50 and you can have another one, £80 and I'll give you all three (which you can then sell one of on ebay for more than that probbly).

Currently the tank is a tad, well, orange and will want to be repainted.
I've got a brand new, never used Red and white scheme tank to match the bodywork (straight from yamaha spares - so new value is over £250 I believe!) Chuck me an extra £50 and you can have that instead of the orange one!
If you're interested in any of the shiny suspension, instead of the orginal yamaha stuff (re-adjust the ohlins for the road and it should still give a very good ride) - talk to me and I'm sure we could come to some kind of a deal Smile.
Same with any of the other spares I've got - I'll add them to the 'package' with a very good discount from normal secondhand etc prices if you want to buy it all as one.

So, to answer ya' question, it would require the bits listed putting back on and a headlight bracket repaired or bought.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1