Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to trackdays

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: New to trackdays Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering whether there was an engine size limit to do a track day on or is there a power limit, it's just that i'd like to do one but i have a honda nsr 125, the trackday will be for after i pass my test, and before anyone sayes "get a bigger bike" i cant afford the 600 i am looking to get so i am riding the 125 for a year to raise funds.

Any information will be great

NSR-Rulez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 20:19 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 125 will be allowed on some tracks, I have seen a minimum 250 limit at some track day terms & conditions. If you do use a 125 on track do be prepared to be overtaken a lot and I'd suggest you find tracks that have very limited straights (e.g. Lydden Hill).

Is your NSR restricted?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wont be, i've just got to get a few bits that alains has recommended, reeds, jets etc., but i've got to wait for pay day.

NSR-Rulez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ranna
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:28 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im actually thinking of doing this as well on my gixxer. Do you need a particular type of insurance or your normal on road one is fine? The licence is 33bhp but bike is 100 bhp will they mind??

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 20:31 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically your road insurance will not cover a trackday, there is trackday insurance available but obviously this isn't cheap at all!

Most of the time I usually "self-insure" myself on track.

Some companies will get funny with a 33bhp licence, however plenty of people from here have done a trackday on a 33bhp licence and not had any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Davo, i will have to look into this further.

NSR-Rulez

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:30 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do one on an NSR125 unless you're very confident (read cocky), or stupid.

They're expensive to bin, not quick, and you'll just get overtaken all over the place, will destroy your confidence, and maybe ruin your first trackday experience.

re: the gixxer question, that'll be fine. Although some places say no 33bhp licences.

Gaz

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I dont think i 'm really confident, so don't need to see "cocky", however nearly 2 years riding experience credits me surely, stupid not really as i said i cant afford a bigger bike at the moment so a bigger bike is a no.

NSR-Rulez

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:10 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track riding is different to road riding. You might be ok with a 125 on a track like lydden, maybe Brands indy.

You rarely see RS125s on trackdays, and when you do they're usually track prepped, and putting out around 30bhp.

Personally, I wouldn't, I only took my MZ on track because I had no other option and had already booked it. Then found it was quite good.

Gaz

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be ok on tighter tracks I suppose, go in the novice group. Mallory Park is another alternative?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Track riding is different to road riding. You might be ok with a 125 on a track like lydden, maybe Brands indy.

I can understand what you mean, but on the road there is nowhere i can strech myself to my limits, if you can understand that, i realise that on long open stretches, a 125 would get kicked seriously, but i am only looking do do this on rare occassions, not a regular thing, due to costs and probably the power factor when bigger bikes come into the picture.

It's just an idea at the moment.

NSR-Rulez

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:20 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, by all means give it a go, that's the point of a trackday.

But beware that it may ruin your confidence by being pissed on at every turn (and straight).

Although do choose your track carefully. Something tight.

Gaz

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the advice, i think i will leave it until it gets a bit warmer and my bike is derestricted first.

Thanks again everyone for your advice

NSR-Rulez

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:42 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a girl on 125cc sportsbikes forum, that did a track day on a cbr125 at ron haslams school with tuition.

they believe in starting people off on something less tricky to learn the basics

so if she was doing it on a 4 stroke 125, a 2 stroke 125 is gonna be better

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:

But beware that it may ruin your confidence by being pissed on at every turn (and straight).

Although do choose your track carefully. Something tight.

Gaz

Straights, yes. Turns, if you're competent you should be climbing all over the back of the litre sports bikes!
Agree with the tight track advice.

I know they're a bit lighter and have a bit more power, but I've seen a Honda RS125 lap EVERYBODY in the fast group at a trackday at Mallory, seriously pissed off the blades / gixers / ninjas. I was fantastic! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
there was a girl on 125cc sportsbikes forum, that did a track day on a cbr125 at ron haslams school with tuition.

they believe in starting people off on something less tricky to learn the basics

so if she was doing it on a 4 stroke 125, a 2 stroke 125 is gonna be better

Ron Haslam's Race School is not a trackday, it's a race school. Everyone else is on CBR125s aswell in the on-track course. The course is designed for 12-13 year olds though, 14 years+ can use a CB500. Not that there's anything wrong with using the 125 if you're not confident on a bigger bike or have never ridden a larger bike before.

I've got my date booked there, 4th May. Can't wait, CBR600RR here I come Very Happy

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 13:29 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimbo wrote:
Straights, yes. Turns, if you're competent you should be climbing all over the back of the litre sports bikes!
Agree with the tight track advice.

I know they're a bit lighter and have a bit more power, but I've seen a Honda RS125 lap EVERYBODY in the fast group at a trackday at Mallory, seriously pissed off the blades / gixers / ninjas. I was fantastic! Very Happy

I agree, but only if you're competent. On a bigger bike you can mask a bit of incompetency, by all means go for it, an NSR is probably more powerfull than my MZ, and I intend to do loads of trackdays in the coming years.

But then you need my level of cockyness. How are you going to feel when you're lining up to go out with a 45year old seasoned rider, sitting on a k5 gixxer thou sitting next to you...?

Don't let my comments put you off by any means, you may go out, have an absolutely blast, and be much quicker in the corners than the born again bikers on 'blades.

As we all know trackdays are there for you to stretch your legs without the laws of the roads, and the obsticles.

Although I don't know anyone that's done one on a road legal 125 before..

Gaz

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, but only if you're competent. On a bigger bike you can mask a bit of incompetency, by all means go for it, an NSR is probably more powerfull than my MZ, and I intend to do loads of trackdays in the coming years.

But then you need my level of cockyness. How are you going to feel when you're lining up to go out with a 45year old seasoned rider, sitting on a k5 gixxer thou sitting next to you...?

Don't let my comments put you off by any means, you may go out, have an absolutely blast, and be much quicker in the corners than the born again bikers on 'blades.

As we all know trackdays are there for you to stretch your legs without the laws of the roads, and the obsticles.

Although I don't know anyone that's done one on a road legal 125 before..

Gaz

Don't worry they won't i have been speaking to my dad, and he wouldn't mind doing a track day either, he has just bought a black bird and he has said a good rider, so if i go it would probably be with him as he said he would go in the novice group aswell. me and my dad aren't that competitive.

I think the NSR puts out about 26 - 27 bhp don't know about your mz, but it will be enough i think, its pretty quick off the mark at the moment and its still restricted.

I will let you know if and when i do one, first thing will be to get used to the extra power the NSR will have.

Thanks for all the coments

NSR-Rulez

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-Rulez wrote:
I think the NSR puts out about 26 - 27 bhp don't know about your mz, but it will be enough i think, its pretty quick off the mark at the moment and its still restricted.

Don't forget though, that you won't be "getting off the mark", on an average track (I would guess) your speed won't drop below 50mph. Leaving out Snetterton (as it would be the worst choice on your bike) most of the tracks I've done (Donington, Mallory, Oulton, Brands, Silverstone, Rockingham, Cadwell, Castle Coombe, Llandow) have straights that big bikes will hit 130mph+ on. Might be a bit intimidating.

Fair play if you do it though. Ignore everyone else and just have fun! Wink

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:35 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above. And you may think your NSR is pretty quick when you're battling with 1litre Fiestas. But when there are 180mph motorcycles passing you on both sides you feel decidedly less quick!

The NSR is alot more powerfull than my MZ, make sure you pick your track well, and most importantly, let us know how it goes!

Gaz

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do thanks all i may even get some pics for you aswell

NSR-Rulez
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1