Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I've lost my tax disc !

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: I've lost my tax disc ! Reply with quote

I was out on Saturday on the bike, I noticed that the disc holder was loose so obviously tightened it up. I was also out on Sunday for a longer blast, now today I've noticed that the tax disc and holder arn't there any more. Rolling Eyes
I know that I'll never find it again so what do I do now ?
Who do I contact to get it replaced ? I can't even remember when it runs out.

shaun_04
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:57 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

post office I presume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:57 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i lost my tax disc i seem to remember printing off a specific form from the dvla website that is for replacement discs etc. You fill it out and send it with a cheque for the amount of a replacement (£7 i think, not sure though) to the address you will be given.

Hope this helps

Steve Thumbs Up

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:01 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was stolen a few days ago so in same boat as you.

I popped to the post office and picked up the appropriate form.
Basically fill it out and send it to your local DVLA office (you can find the one closest to you on their website https://www.dvla.gov.uk/local/lo_map.htm) along with £7 and your V5, apparently it takes about 5 days to process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:16 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to find out when it will run out instead of paying for a replacment then finding out that it has nearly expired. You can find out the details of your tax disc on the DVLA website via the SORN route: You have to put in your vehical registration and somethings else (not quite sure) and a page comes up of when your tax disc runs out.

It is the pages that puts you throught the motions of declearing SORN online, so put ya details in, check them then don't continue.

https://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=EgC1am1ZKn8KDDVufeCNJw5X1wB2qflw2ESBFb5ocLshuyuUsTG6!1254902698!1279587516?origin=sorn_service_eligibility_en.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.portlet.event&pageid=Declare+SORN&portletid=SORN&portletns=SORN_en&wfevent=link.next

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:28 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyle7474 wrote:
When i lost my tax disc i seem to remember printing off a specific form from the dvla website that is for replacement discs etc. You fill it out and send it with a cheque for the amount of a replacement (£7 i think, not sure though) to the address you will be given.

Hope this helps

Steve Thumbs Up

Thats the thing to do, happened to me the other week.

https://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/v20.pdf

Thumbs Up

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 22:32 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just leave it and not replace it. I rode around for almost a full year without a tax disc. If at any point you get pulled and by some miracle they notice (small chance) Just say it got nicked a couple of days ago, you have reported it to the dvla and are waiting for the replacement to be sent.

Then when your tax renewal comes up you get a new tax disc and don't have to pay any gay £7 fines Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
Just say it got nicked a couple of days ago Wink

Or just say you didn't notice.

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 00:40 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, then they do you for negligence. At least if you say you have sent off for a new one then in their eyes you have done everything possible not to break the law. Its not your fault the letter to the dvla got lost in the post.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:46 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyle7474 wrote:

Hope this helps

Steve Thumbs Up

When I got my bike (first bike) I thought the tax disc was a bit vulnerable. Water certainly gets in when it's hosed down and of course anyone could just swipe it.

So I scanned mine in. Left the original on the bike, but if it should go walkabout, I'll just print off a copy and put that in it''s place. You can't even tell it's fake whilst it's behind the glass.

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 02:50 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police can check if a vehicles taxed anyway and of cause tax cameras can too. So I don't see the point in having discs on a bike anyway, its not as if anyone actually positions them in the right place anyway (meant to be on the left of the front wheel by law).

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:22 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure that the tax can be displayed anywher on the left side of the bike, but I am buggered if I can find out any info at all about tax disc positioning, for cars or bikes!

JonT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:49 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my last tax disc it took me about 7 months before I got round to putting it on my bike Smile

Never had any problems, always figured if I got caught i'd just say its only just been nicked, and when they checked if it indeed was taxed it would say it was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 16:58 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me last year and someone actually handed it in to a police station!

Don't give up hope yet Wink

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances are that it fell off on a country road so no one will be walking past and liable to pick it up.
I think I'll just leave it as it is and if I'm asked about it deny all knowlage of it not being there. As mentioned already it is easy enough for them to check and see if it's taxed anyway.
Thanks for all the replies. Thumbs Up

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 22 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
Nah, then they do you for negligence.

I have been out on the bike this evening and I could not honestly say if my tax disc is still there or not. Laughing I'm not even going to look either. Laughing It's not something that I personally check.

scol1
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:24 - 23 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine nicked once,was in one of those basic tax disc holders that come on the bike as it comes out the showroom,probabally the cheapest available,bought one o' them anodised OXFORD jobbies that needs an allen key to get to the tax disc and haven't had any problems since

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my tax disc stolen on my previous bike.

i now keepo a photocopy on the bike (which i got screwed at by police as i didnt have original on me)

and i got my replacement from my local DVLA office and it is £7

distortion
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:47 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day if you get pulled and they ask where you tax disc is this is what will happen

Officer: ' your tax disc seems to be missing'

Person: 'yes officer'

Officer: 'do you have tax for your bike'?

Officer: 'can you provide your tax disc'

Officer: 'Here is a producer to produce your documents'

Officer: 'are you trying to be funny'

Now at that point hope your pillion tells him you have a repetative speach problem and get fixed on sentences sometimes.

Would be a laugh if the officer fell for it though - im sure you could think of a bullshit name for it and the copper would be none the wiser Laughing

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:40 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

scol1 wrote:
I had mine nicked once,was in one of those basic tax disc holders that come on the bike as it comes out the showroom,probabally the cheapest available,bought one o' them anodised OXFORD jobbies that needs an allen key to get to the tax disc and haven't had any problems since

When mine was nicked recently it was in one of those allen key oxford ones.
The buggers just snapped the whole tax disc holder off!

agentpants
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:11 - 24 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost mine 2 months ago on the R6 reading this thread as reminded me. Best replace it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1