BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Track?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Which Track? Reply with quote

Looking to do my first track day in May at either Cadwell on Friday 26th or Mallory Park on the Sat 27th. Which track is better for a first timer? And anybody else going that would meet up with me as I will probally be going alone Sad ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:32 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: Which Track? Reply with quote

A lot of people have done Cadwell as their first time track, but it is quite a lot more to take in than somewhere like Mallory.

Had you considered Snetterton? This is a good first time track in my opinion, though some have found it a bit 'boring' - for me I wasn't looking at the scenery and was still trying to go faster Smile.

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Thumbs Up I think I might like to try mallory park. It's a bit of a treck to get there so I think I'll be hiring a van and going down. My nearest track is Knockhill I would go but the weather is too unpredictable for there Sad
G, how would you rate Mallory as a track eg facilities, technical challenge of track etc? Looks quite good Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like Mallory, and it's a fairly easy circuit to learn, Gerrards is just great Razz. Suits slower bikes that handle better than fast sports bikes, so many sports bike riders prefer to go somewhere faster. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Facilities - cafe is ok, take plenty of fuel cos it usually isn't on sale at the circuit, you ddon't really need much more!

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a decent circuit Thumbs Up I've got a Daytona 600 so it should be a laugh on the track. Will prob book sometime at the end of next week Very Happy
BTW I've ran out of karma to give out Sad

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 18:47 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first track day at cadwell and really liked it.

Wasn't too big.

I would recommend it to anyone as their first track.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:17 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, cadwell weather is usally pretty unpredictable as well.

Haven't been to Mallory yet, first time at the end of the Month.

If you're really worried by the weather at Knockhill, why not see if you can just turn up on the day; so you can be sure you've got a decent day.

Personally I would just do that if that's your closest track.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 12 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facilities aren't great at Mallory. The Paddock area consists of an uneven, multi-surfaced giant open area in the middle of the circuit. There are about ten garages (loose terminology), but they're more like the garage on my house than a track garage (and they fill quickly). In fairness it's very similar to how it is at Cadwell, but not a patch on somewhere like Brands, Donington, Silverstone etc.

Personally I don't like Mallory to ride (I may have mentioned it a couple of times on these forums...) but lots of people do, so each to their own.

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Donnington as my first track, and would recommend it to anyone, it's big and wide, there's plenty of run off and it's very smooth and flowing.

It really depends on where you are coming from to get to the track, if you are in the east Snetterton is a very good first time track as it's very simple to learn.

For a first track I think I would rather go for a simple track than a technical track that will just feel like you are stop/starting all the time.

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be traveling from just outside Glasgow Shocked so it's a wee bit of a treck to any track.
I wouldnt mind doing Oulton Park it's expensive but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Who does everybody else book their track days through? Are some companies better than others?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:56 - 13 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some companies that I have a personal preference for, some that run their days a bit better (for me) with perhaps fewer warm up laps, that kind of thing.

ESS were always a favourite but they don't exist any more. I've got a lot of time for No Limits, good briefing, well run day and none of the hard sell. MSV seem okay too, free photos and bacon butties.

Generally just go by the date and price though, really.

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first track day was at Cadwell and thought it was fantastic and i only live 15 minutes from the place.

cunni
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:06 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first track day at Donny, was awesome!

After that, tried a race day at Mallory, was good fun, but I rashed, D'oh!

Then I did Cadwell. Weather was diabolical, so unpredicatable. There was low cloud blanketing the circuit for three days and we hardly got out. Two laps of full circuit in rain and fog on Friday, four laps and a crash on the woodland half circuit on Saturday, went home on Sunday. Not a bad circuit in itself, but a bit daunting at first. If your a steady eddie to start with you'll be fine. If you go gunning it from the off, you'll scare yourself there!

Then I did plenty of practice days at Mallory Park on various machines, CB500, TL1000R, R6. R6 was in soaking rain with dry tyres on trying hard to get good lap times - hard work.

I personaly really like Mallory Park, it's easy to remember, not so long that you get leg cramp, got some interesting chicnaes and a great hairpin. 120MPH fully cranked over in Gerrards bend is awesome! Did you know, Gerrards corner is actually one quater of the whole lap?! It's a 210 degree corner, goes on for ever! I love the lines around Mallory and can't wait to get back there!

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 20 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not a bad circuit in itself, but a bit daunting at first.

I agree, plenty of blind corners over crests, and corners that are off camber falling away from you and its not as wide as it looks when you get out there. Oh and the mountain was daunting at first.

Quote:
Did you know, Gerrards corner is actually one quater of the whole lap?! It's a 210 degree corner, goes on for ever!

Its a shame i prefer left handers then Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1