Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insane Manager, Advice Needed! ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:26 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Insane Manager, Advice Needed! ... Reply with quote

This will probably be a bit boring for you all, but I really need some advice ...

I've been having a few problems lately at work, with my counter manager. When I first started she was really lovely, if not a bit over the top. Hugging me and kissing me everytime I came in, stroking my hair when I spoke to other people in the department, a bit strange, but she seemed sweet.

The longer I was there, the more and more I started to notice things about her. She's sweet to people, then nasty about them behind thier back. She lies ... like nothing I've ever experienced before. A few of them are .. her dad's in the mafia, she's been out with half the Arsenal football team, she used to go round Victoria Beckhams house before she was famous, and asked to be an extra in the film Sean of the Dead.

Also, she has a new best friend every week. Fair enough, it's childish, but let her get on with it if it doesn't effect me. She's the sort of person that has to be loved by everyone, and my god does she think everyone loves her! But she's so spiteful about these people behind thier backs. I just have no time for all of that, I don't do bitching, and I cannot stand people being two faced.

Lately, she's started trying to make life difficult for me, the other week I text her on my new mobile to let her have my new number, and to let her know I couldn't work certain day, two days before. I got a delivery report so I know she got the message. So what does she do? Pretend she hasn't got my message, tells my department managers I haven't showed up, then gives them my old mobile number for them to contact me. I got the message about 2 days later! The thing that got to me the most was, we get half an hour for break, which we usually take 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the afternoon. I went to take my 15, but while I was on my break got a call from o2 trying to talk to me about my contract so I ended up being 20. So I came back 5 minutes later than I'd planned, but was entitled to the time. Later on that day my manager pulls me aside and says really nicely. "I've heard something in passing, and I don't think it's true, but it's that you left the shop floor for 40 minutes to make a personal phone call." I explained to her about the break situation, and that I only had 10 minutes in the afternoon, and nothing of the sort had happened, nor would it, ever. She completely believed me and admitted that she hadn't thought it was true but had to raise it with me.

Understandably I was really upset that someone would make up a lie like that to get me into trouble, and what does my counter manager say? "Don't worry about it, rumours fly round this place all the time, you just can't take any notice of them." When it was her that had said it! I knew it was bloody her but didn't say anything. I had a meeting with my department manager about it all, explained that I was unhappy and about the lots of problems, all pretty similar to the ones I've mentioned, that I'd had with my counter manager. She discussed it with her on one of my days off.

So yesterday my counter manager sits me down, and we talk about the whole thing. And this is where I just suck. I hate bad feeling, and can't stand awkward situations, so I played the whole thing down, and just acted as though it was much less of an issue that it actually is, just so I could get on with my work without feeling awful. So it's all been okay, in terms of no awkwardness, between us.

My department manager said that she still had a few issues to raise with my counter manager when I told her we had cleared the air, and there were a few things she said in our meeting that suggested she was in quite a bit of trouble for the way she had behaved with me. So I know that the managers that matter know I'm doing nothing wrong, and know what my counter manager is up to. But I only just found out today for sure that it was her that went and said I'd taken that 40 minutes. This has just completely thrown me again, I just can't understand why she'd do it. I really just don't know how to handle this girl. I know she lies, and I know she's two faced, but I don't want to be all sweet and nice and act like we're friends just to keep the peace, which is easier, but then aren't I being two faced aswell?

I honestly think the girl has a screw loose, (And so does everyone else in the department.) I find bits of paper on my counter with all the Arsenal football players names written down, details about them ect, and hearts, and she even marks herself! Naturally, she got 20/20 apparently! Laughing

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really stuck as to how to deal with this girl, I'm moving soon to a new counter, and away from her but untill a posistion comes up I've got to find a way of letting her know she can't take the piss and try and make my work life difficult, and keep the peace between us to make the time I have left there as bearable as possible?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would confront her, but in a non-aggressive or threatening way (to her position, I'm not thinking you'd hit her!). It may backfire terribly... but it may work and she could respect you for it.

If it goes wrong it isn't my fault!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUNCH HER TITS

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done exactly the right thing by the sound of it, by letting her manager deal with it.

As long as you mention everything to her managers on her behavour, then you wont have a problem.

I think one thing I'd do if I were you. Keep a small diary and make a note of the time you go on your break and the time you return, then if she mentions it again about taking too long, just take that to her manager and tell then you have had enough of her constant bu**sh*t and show them the diary.

But your right, she does sound like a bit of a nut job! Confused

Stick with it, sounds like she just wants attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep a diary of any other shit you might hear of her doing and hand it over to her manager when you change counter's. Laughing
(edit:oh shit,must learn to type faster)
just grin and bear it,then completely forget as soon as she stops talking.As for her arsenal score sheet just write slag across the bottom and stick it on the notice board.

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
PUNCH HER TITS

lol. I think she may be a lesbian and desperately trying to ignore it. The hugs last that little bit too long you know ... and that second makes all the difference. Ugh. *Shudders*

She randomly kisses me, my cheek, my hands, hugs me, holds my hand, strokes my hair. Urgh everything about her is just so bloody fake, I hate it. I just struggle with confrontation a great deal. It would be okay if she worked elsewhere, but she is my counter manager, and the days that we are in work together, I have to stand within inches of her all day. It's a tricky one! Sad

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Insane Manager, Advice Needed! ... Reply with quote

Katie wrote:
Hugging me and kissing me everytime I came in, stroking my hair

<RobbyModeOn>You should get pics<RobbyModeOff>

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:41 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mostly ignore her, you just get some strange people, She is proabaly trying to make herself look good.

Make sure thay you cover yourself for everything, ie contact numbers to the main boss. Holiday requests in writing. Make sure you know hoe mnuch times you take for a break and if she says anything make sure the manager gets your point of view.

The manager probably knows about her. can your get a transfer to another area ?

Regards
C

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:43 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can, it's just waiting for a posistion to come up. I like working in Debenhams, I've got so many good friends there, it's just working with her. I don't want to leave because it will be so hard to get back in on another counter. I've just got to stick it out with her untill I get to the chance to move ...

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie wrote:

lol. I think she may be a lesbian and desperately trying to ignore it. The hugs last that little bit too long you know ... and that second makes all the difference. Ugh. *Shudders*

She randomly kisses me, my cheek, my hands, hugs me, holds my hand, strokes my hair. Urgh everything about her is just so bloody fake, I hate it. I just struggle with confrontation a great deal. It would be okay if she worked elsewhere, but she is my counter manager, and the days that we are in work together, I have to stand within inches of her all day. It's a tricky one! Sad

Report her for sexual harrassment. Seriously. Whatever her proclivity she has no right whatsoever to lay hands on you. If this was a bloke you wouldn't have put up with it for this long would you?
If in doubt, talk to someone at ACAS.

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie wrote:

She randomly kisses me, my cheek, my hands, hugs me, holds my hand, strokes my hair. Sad

sounds like grounds for sexual harasment to me. Shocked

(bollox out typed twice in the same thread)

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:54 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is! She does it to some of my friends and makes us all feel really uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I'd have nothing against her if she were a lesbian, but I don't like being touched like that. She's being all sweetie sweetie, touchy touchy, and I'm standing there thinking "Why the hell is she running her bloody fingers through my hair, get off wierdo!"

If it were a guy he'd loose his job. Mad

I just can't believe she thought she could get away with turning, me taking 20 minutes out of my 30 minutes break, into, me leaving the shop floor, off my break, for 40 minutes to make a call. Argh.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:18 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does she dress? Over the top with loads of makeup, bleached hair, nails etc?

If she's like that then she is probably just a girly girl if that makes sense but a bit over the top.

One of the reasons i can never work in retail is because you get screwed for taking 20 seconds longer than you are allowed to in a break. How many hours a day do you work?

Thankfully i have landed a job with a decent family and after uni will never have to work for another person again. Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:37 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:

If she's like that then she is probably just a girly girl if that makes sense but a bit over the top.

I know a number of 'girly girls' and they don't do stuff like that.

There is a difference between a girly girl and a total nutjob! Shocked

If it were me, I'd ask her not to touch me and just say that it looks unprofessional to customers.

Then if she touched me off of the shop floor I'd tell her that she may be in danger of her life with my highly trained combat reflexes! Laughing

Seriously, that sort of stuff is really unprofessional even if it isn't sexual harrasment. It is an excuse that hopefully won't upset her, and yet will at least stop the weirdness at least while there are customers about.

Katie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's got really dark hair and is Italian. I know what you're thinking guys something along the lines of ... ( Drooling ) but trust me she isn't!

All I ever blody hear about is Italy ...

In Italy this, In Italy that ... bla bla, I don't care! Everey subject comes down to it .........

Oh, my God! ...........

She's Vespa! Shocked

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:59 - 08 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sicilian friend, fuck me can he eat. Shocked

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 00:00 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so theres no chance of any lezza action then ?? Surprised

Ah.....go on..............

hehehe Sorry, only joshing. Mr. Green
HerbalDayZ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's doing it on the shop floor surely there will be cctv footage of it to back up your story.

I honestly wasn't thinking of the perv value. Twisted Evil
but can we buy some of the tapes. Laughing

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

she definatly has some issues! nasty bitch! anyway i would confront her and ask her what her problem is. failing that take her out get the drunk and beat her up(if your female that is)

i cant hold my toungue or temper so i would go mad. ask my boss (poor fella) lol

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:46 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think the top managers will really take your side against your counter manager. Counter manager sounds too nutty for their softly softly approaches at reconcilliation to work.

You wont get her to behave so put up with it or get another job or move to another section.

One thing could be if you somehow get her to lose interest in you and develop a love hate relationship with someone else so she forgets all about you and leaves you in peace.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:55 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
i dont think the top managers will really take your side against your counter manager. Counter manager sounds too nutty for their softly softly approaches at reconcilliation to work.

You wont get her to behave so put up with it or get another job or move to another section.

One thing could be if you somehow get her to lose interest in you and develop a love hate relationship with someone else so she forgets all about you and leaves you in peace.

I disagree. That is how the world often is, but in this case I'd be inclined to believe that she would get backup from senior management.

What is it about Counter staff in Debenhams. A guy at work told me about how his wife got continual abuse from her counter manager because she is a Jehovas witness... She almost had them done for harassment!

Now she works in House of Fraser... Laughing

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 20:14 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sounds a bit like this to me...............

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

She sounds like shes probably spent to much time around famous people. & to have all those b/f that are footballers she probably thinks shes better then everyone else.

Is she pretty? & is she one of those girls who has to look good 24/7?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:45 - 09 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I disagree. That is how the world often is, but in this case I'd be inclined to believe that she would get backup from senior management.

What is it about Counter staff in Debenhams. A guy at work told me about how his wife got continual abuse from her counter manager because she is a Jehovas witness... She almost had them done for harassment!

Now she works in House of Fraser... Laughing

If senior management did back up counter staff over counter managers, i guess ur mates wife wd still be at Debenhams. They didnt so she went to House of Frasier Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2