Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I had a tree. Who knows trees?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NBO
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: I had a tree. Who knows trees? Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for some ideas and help.
You see, I had this tree up the top of my drive, kind of nice looking tree, about 8ft tall and quiet chunky, nice red leaves in the autum, that's all I know about this tree apart from it's dead now Sad

Last year this tree was alive and well, and I liked it, whereas next door neighbour didn't like the tree. He wanted the tree gone because of other little trees growing in his lawn, he asked last year if we could cut it down, I said no but I was willing to keep his side trimmed back and to pick up the leaves but that wasn't acceptable on his part.

Now, this is where I get a bit suspicious, this fella is a gardner, and I am wondering if there was any sort of chemical that could of been used to kill the tree inside say six months and make the whole thing rot? or if my suspicious mind has gone too far what could of killed it?

Anyone know trees?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be suspicious too, but I nothing about gardening, I'd presume that he could've done something to kill it though.

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:03 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

copper nails at the base, or indeed copper wire wrapped around the trunk at the base, cut through the bark, almost impossible to spot and will easily kill a tree that fast without any obvious cause. id go inspect around the base very carefully, the bark may have recovered over any obvious nasties but will leave 'scarring' (is it called scarring on a tree?!?) if you find any foul play youd still be hard pressed to prove it was your neighbour all you can do is replace it with something that grows even bigger.. and do the 'i know it was you you know it was you, i cant proove it but if anything happens to my new tree il cut ya balls off with a rusty spoon' conversation, but thats just me!

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 16:45 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Winter, trees usually look dead... Rolling Eyes

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:53 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bullet said, nails or any scarring to a tree can kill it. As soon as an object opens up the bark it lets in bacteria and can infect the tree blocking up the xylem and plhoem which transfers the water and nutrients.

Id be suspicious. By the sound of it, an 8ft tree should be quite young, it shouldn't just die in only 6 months.

If theres no evidence on the tree that suggests your neighbour has killed it (e.g. copper nails) he could have sprayed the leaves with a high concentration of urea, nitrogen fertilizer.

Bit of a tough one though Confused Thumbs Up

zephyrgirl
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:00 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plant some nice Leylandii, your neighbour will love it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:10 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are certain he did it, plant a leylandii hedge right along the border between your two houses. That will give him the shits because it grows ludicrously fast and will block all light from his garden within 18 months.

If you REALLY want to piss him off, get some japanese knotweed and plant it about the place (an impossible weed to get rid of). You wont be able to by the stuff but it grows about the place and takes readily. Advice to gardners if they have a problem with it is 'move house'.

Oh, ooh. Sprinkle mint seeds in his lawn, incredibly tenacious stuff is mint.

stinkwheel
Horticultural warfare adviser.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of Japanese Knotweed in Warrington... It's a utter twat.

WR450_geezer
Nobody likes me

PostPosted: 17:39 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with the dead tree I'm afriad.

But I would imagine planting some of these would seriously piss your neighbour off. Happy planting.

WR

NBO
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
It's Winter, trees usually look dead... Rolling Eyes

Most trees usually look dead come winter yes, but not all trees fall over with a broken trunk like mine Razz

Thanks for the thoughts all, I have a bit of info to go on now, I'm now wondering if it was wrapped wire, I have not really looked for any but when I was cutting off the branches yesterday I noticed the base of the trunk looked as if it had grown over something, kind of swollen.

Anyway, a closer inspection comes tomorrow.
thanking you Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mares tail is another one to f*ck your neighbour off with.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:00 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
stinkwheel
Horticultural warfare adviser.

lol Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:16 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any picture of it to start with last autum did you notice any fungal brackets anywhere on the tree? did you notice a decline in amount of leaves? really need to know what sort of tree it was. you can poision a tree there are enough nasty chemicals around has he dug up any roots to your knowledge? is the tree still there? a picture of it would be useful there are many reasons trees fail. you mention there being rot, nothing to my knowledge that we use to kill stumps rots them away within 6 months

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he just pissed on it every night on the way home from the pub.

Mate of mine had the most fantastic rosemary bush outside his front door, massive and green. But on the way home every night, he was busting for a wee, so he used to go for a slash on the rosemary bush before he went indoors - which, after a while, certainly started to kill it off Sad

He reckoned he liked the smell of rosemary when the piss warmed it up Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot what I was posting about, with all that waffle.

Stinkster's right : Mint is good. Even if you wrench it out by the roots, it only needs a tiny rootlet to remain and up it pops again in the springtime.

You could just shit on his lawn, of course.

Cos I bet if he's a gardener, he's dead proud of his lawn.

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:52 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kilrock K" I assume would do a very nasty jobby of his grass as is used commercially to remove unwanted moss etc, and im pretty sure popel use it to remove gardens Shocked

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intoduce a few moles into the area, that will fuck his lawn up Thumbs Up

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 22:49 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died in 6 months? sounds like the copper trick to me as well. Easy solution, get down to the local diy and do the same to his trees, my suggestion would be to use the nail in a root as it will kill the tree slower than the wire,giving him plenty of time to worry about it and spend money on fertilizers etc. Start off with the one closest to your departed tree,if he replaces it then take out the new one and the next one along. Drop the suggestion that it must be some sort of disease at it started with your tree and is moving along as it passes from tree to tree.

If he's got a few trees in his garden you could have years of amusement with this Laughing Add that to the thought of his costs to keep replacing the wee trees he has and there is nothing he can say unless you are caught red handed.

xlizx
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:45 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig it up, plant another one. Claim Tree One was pregnant and had a baby tree.
If you dig up the dead tree, you'll be more able to saw it open and stuff, maybe find out what really happened. Like a tree autopsy. If it was just bad luck or you got no evidence to go by, let it go but keep your eyes open. If there's foul play, get a dog and have children, the noise and mess should drive him insane.
Maybe gwt some cctv, or a fake camera and tell him in passing conversation that you're installing it because of 'past vandalism' to your property?

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:59 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot about trees and plants in general due to the large module I covered in A level biology.

(puts on megga thick glasses)

There is lots of ways to kill trees, most of the ways are the same as killing a flower or plant because they are in same basic unit, a plant cell.

I suppose the easiest and quickest way to kill a tree apart from cutting it down is to poision it via any chemical that will interfere with photosynthesis, either this be by denaturing enzymes in the Calvin cycle by changing pH or by the chemical acting as an active site competitor, some how messing with the RuBP (ribulose bisphosphate), NADP (nicotinamide diphosphate) or denaturing the Rubisco enzyme (ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase ),stopping ATP production by contaminating the non-cyclic and cyclic phosphorylation, taking up the electron donors and acceptors in the electron transport chain, interfering with light-dependant and light independent stages by adding a strong alkali that will take up Hydrogen ion during photolysis instead of interacting with NADP to form NADPH needed for the light independent stages or any other molecule that has greater affinity for the substrates involved.

I suppose the most likely is to kill or inhibit the functioning of the PS 2 (170) and PS 1 (160) photosynthetic pigments (alpha and beta chlorophyl) that start the whole process in the chloroplasts by its electrons being excited to a higher energy level via photon energy (light reaching the pigments in the thylakoid membranes and in the granum), then working its way down lower energy levels via electron acceptors while providing energy for ATP production (Adenosine triphosphate)

And that only on a molecular level, other processes can be damaged like transpiration, blockages of the sources and sinks during carbohydrate production from leaves, blockages of the xylem and phloem...this could go on!

(takes them off)

In other words....F*ck knows..it could be anything mate Laughing

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBO wrote:

Most trees usually look dead come winter yes, but not all trees fall over with a broken trunk like mine

That sounds like caustic soda to me.

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 01:18 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the tree have maple type looky likey leaves?
if yes then it would be a japenese maple (or acer to give it correct term)
can pick them up in most garden centres!
As for your neighbour..... jayes fluid on his lawn will kill EVERYTHING it touches! Really does sound like foul play! Wink

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:48 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi gardening people.

My lawn seems to be composed of 90% moss now.
Is there anything I can do to get the grass back?

looks OK, but its a bit squidgy underfoot.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

Paul@125power
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:31 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

innominate wrote:
Oi gardening people.

looks OK, but its a bit squidgy underfoot.

Many chemical materials are effective for killing moss in lawns. Most commercially available formulations contain metals such as iron (Fe), copper (Cu) or Zinc (Zn) as the active ingredient. Cryptocidal soaps are also available. All of these materials can kill moss but some are more effective than others.

Cu and Zn are good moss killers on roofs and walks and will not stain structures. Unfortunately, Cu and Zn compounds act slowly as moss killers and in lawns may injure desirable turf grasses.

Iron compounds are highly effective moss killers in turf. Moss kill is rapid and Fe also stimulates a "green-up" of turf. A complete fertilizer that includes iron will stimulate healthy growth and kill moss at the same time. Iron stains concrete and surfaces, however, so it must be applied carefully. Salts and chelated iron products applied as liquids are generally effective on moss at 0.5 - 1.0 lb. Fe/1000 sq. ft. Dry fertilizer plus iron products are generally effective at 0.9 - 1.5 lb. Fe/1000 sq. ft. The key to effective control with iron compounds is thorough coverage. Please be careful to follow product instructions.

Cryptocidal soaps, such as Safer's Moss Attack, are relatively new chemicals for moss control. Soaps act as constant killers and tend to bleach out the moss to a whitish-yellow color. This is in contrast to the dark brown color of moss treated with iron. They are slower working than moss killers that contain iron and the results may be affected by rainfall, but soaps are safe on sidewalks and other structures.

Yamaha YQ100 (RIP)......Honda CBR125R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:39 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Be careful ho you do it. I used a good does of weed and feed on ours it really did weed and the bit of grass that was left was fed. It need grass seed to grow in place of the moss through as there were big patches not a few weeds.

I think I will leave it alone this year, the moss is green too and seems so much easier to keep than grass. If I can get it all moss I wont even need to mow it Very Happy

Regards
C
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2