GSXR750/1157 hybrid

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:30 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not so sure on the flat slides. Some get on with them but personally on the road I would rather lose 5~10hp and have a lighter throttle (less effort and so more precise, and also doesn't kill your shoulder on a long run).

Down side is that a set of slide carbs is a major expense to just give a try.

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pffft, if your manly and have muscles in your arms go flat slides. Very Happy

Throttle is heavier but they do go very well with the engine.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:33 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Taking the Bandit to Cadwell and back (from Stafford) with a day taking pictures was pretty uncomforatable by the time I got home.

Will probably take the slide carbs off the Bandit and go back to the CVs at some point.

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why my i stuck bandit 36s on my 1100, and stuck the RS on the 7/11. Chuckle.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:38 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The RS40s might go on the GSXR11, but then that rarely does more than 2~3 miles at a time (length of a runway and back). But as its engine is stock it isn't worthwhile for now. Might 1216 it at some point which would make it worthwhile.

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7/11 had a 1052 slabby motor. I had it rebored and fitted the 1108(or thereabouts, dont recall exactly) wiseco kit. I think the capacity increase didnt make much difference, but the increase in compression made it far more lively, not that it was exactly timid originally.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:52 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

1127 to 1216 should be a bit more of a difference along with the increase in compression. If I do I will also get someone to do the head at the same time.

All the best

Keith

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS40's are too big for the road. They shift all the power up the top end while removing the bottom and a fair chunk of mid range. The BST38's give almost the same power as the RS40's yet retain the mid and bottom end.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make an inlet manifold from 40mm polypipe and run a 1 3/4 SU?

Throttle would be very light and no balancing?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:41 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
You could make an inlet manifold from 40mm polypipe and run a 1 3/4 SU?

Only if there was an exhaust driven fan before it. Stock carbs are light, the slidies take far more effort to hold open for hours at a time.

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SU is a CV? Should be pretty easy on the wrists.

I've seen it done, normally aspirated, on a Z750. I doubt the guy cared about power or weight. The bike certainly ran well.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:15 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

SU is effectively a CV carb. But you will lose a load of performance and throttle response from using one. However if you want a cheap large single carb to go with a turbo then they are fine.

For the road I would put up with the small reduction in power from using the stock 36mm CV carbs, especially when it is easier to be more precise with them. A large crude SU has no advantages over the stock carbs just a load of down sides.

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lectrons? For the sake of being weird more than anything else.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:23 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Still just a variation on the slide carb theme. Same down sides as the RS40s but with some potential fueling up sides to address a problem that the Bandit doesn't really suffer.

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a single 44mm lectron on my XBR500/650. The throttle was actually very light, certainly easier than the king kong grip needed for the RS rack. Four of them would still be pretty light next to the RS.

Tuning them is dead easy as long as your supplier knows what needle to start you on. I got mine from Paul Gast in the states, he was spot on.

The thing that put me off them for the GSXR was the price, they arent much cheaper than a set of FCRs, and the throttle effort on those is pretty easy, especially after the RS. I tried them out on a friends GPz900R, lovely carbies.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:29 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The FCRs are almost double the cost of the flat slides. Not sure I could justify that much.

If you want lighter throttles you can play with the springs in the RS carbs and then put up with them not closing consistantly.

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are nice though.

I did fiddle with the spring on the RS's. But I am a big gorilla so had the king kong grip to operate them without hassle.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:43 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Operating them is fine short term, although the weight of them means it is more difficult to be precise in operating them. Its after some time that the problem begins.

On the road the benefit of the extra 5% power is pretty irrelevant to me most of the time.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2