Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just for 125 riders :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 18 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few little things about my bike that do annoy me lol. The lack of a fuel gauge is one and the other is the kph clocks. I have a really bad memory and struggle to remember what the kph-mph conversion is. Other than that I love it. I love wizzards SR its made of win. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 125 from Dewsbury, and rode it back. At the time I lived in Boston so it was about 130mile trip. What made it even harder was it was new so I was running it in, 4,000rpm max. Dont think I could cope with such a trip now!
Thing I like is the simple 2 stroke, and how you can blow loads of smoke out first time you go over 40mph lol. The bike I have is one I saw when I was about 12 and decided i wanted that sort, so will be tough to lose.
If i could change something i'd make it more stable when its windy (somehow)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mensa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:49 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 125, it is a CBF125
i bought it about 5 months ago and have done over 700 miles.
it is a great bike not had any trouble with it, it is easy to ride.

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I bought my 125 from Dewsbury, and rode it back. At the time I lived in Boston so it was about 130mile trip. What made it even harder was it was new so I was running it in, 4,000rpm max. Dont think I could cope with such a trip now!
Thing I like is the simple 2 stroke, and how you can blow loads of smoke out first time you go over 40mph lol. The bike I have is one I saw when I was about 12 and decided i wanted that sort, so will be tough to lose.

Well whore some pictures lad!

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR125 - Had it a year and done 5000 miles on it.

The longest journey was an Easter trip out Manchester - Southern end of Scotland via the Lakes. Other than that a few 50 mile or so trips here and there.

Likes - It costs nothing to run, 96mpg, £15 tax, cheap insurance. It's a blast in town and on twisty roads at 45-50mph. I may be a bit tall for the bike, but it's fairly comfy. It's tiny and light as hell, so you can store it in the house easily and lift the back end about to fit it in tight spaces. It looks nice too Smile

Dislikes and wishes - It's utter crap on motorways and the like. It'll do 70mph, but it sounds like your thrashing the shit out the engine. If the motorway goes uphill 60mph is a struggle. Overtaking anything but the doddering slow types in these circumstances is an experience. If it could cruise at 70-ish easily and had the power to blast past at 80-ish when necessary it would be ideal. I don't rate the gearbox too much either.

Photos - It's a Repsol RS6 and it's stock, so it wouldn't look too much different than other Repsols. The few pics I have show L plates, and its not had them for a good few months.

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:41 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muzza wrote:
bhinso wrote:

Well whore some pictures lad!

Bhinso's got a Kawasaki KMX 125, met him on here, were hopefully meeting up soon for a rideout, we only live a couple of hours apart Thumbs Up

Seen some pictures of it, looks nice, it's pretty big too, green, white and purple in colour, hopefully he'll post some pics up if possible Thumbs Up

Does anyone else live close to Peterborough? Preferably on a 125 Rolling Eyes

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:50 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Mensa and ThoughtControl Thumbs Up

You both have very reliable bikes, and pretty nice one's too Smile

The only thing i dislike about the CBR and CBF is the thin bodywork. Sitting on a mates CBR125, the tank and the whole bike itself was so slim, but that's probably because i'm fairly tall. Other than that, they're are definitely one of the best 125's engine wise, just about bulletproof Thumbs Up

Obviously 125 and 4 stroke don't go to well together for speed, but you can't have everything. Personally i'd rather go for reliability Thumbs Up

Nice to hear about the massive journey to the south of Scotland from Manchester mate! That's one hell of a ride, especially on a 125! Great to hear people ride that distance on 125's, shows you don't always need a bigger engine size Thumbs Up

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:12 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these posts and i haven't even answered the questions myself Laughing

So here goes..

What's the longest journey you've ever done?
I had a mate round, and we both went on a ride through all the countryside, through lovely little villages, took all country roads, some A roads, but mainly little lanes running through forests and woodland. That was over 300 miles.

What do you like about your 125?
I like the style, the large size, looks bigger than a 125. Feels great on bendy roads, good to dig into the corners. I love the reliability, and the nice beasty sound for a 4 stroke 125.

If you could change anything what would it be?
Probably something to give it more power. I can get to 65mph easily, but when stretching it above 70mph, it's screaming, but sits nicely at 65.

Time for me to photo whore Rolling Eyes

https://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/milkster125/P171009_153102.jpg

https://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/milkster125/P171009_1531.jpg

https://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/milkster125/P171009_1522.jpg

https://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/milkster125/P171009_1528.jpg[/b]

Mensa
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:21 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment Milkster it is good to here what other prople think of other bikes.
I feel that the CBF is a bit wider than the CBR because i was going to get a CBR but found them far to thin as i am 6 foot tall.

I also have travel far on my 125, i went to cornwall from bristol with my girlfriends brother

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Just for 125 riders :) Reply with quote

2006 Yamaha YBR 125

About 70 miles from London to Walton on the Naze.

It's been very reliable, very cheap to run, got me through my test, gave me lots of valuable road experience, gets me to work, cheap to insure, cheap to tax, enjoyable to learn to work on it, easy to filter with.

It feels small and lacks presence on the road, and being able to hit more than 60/65mph would be nice.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/photo0069.jpg

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkster that bike looks awesome. I quite fancy one of them. Have you tried it off road yet or do you not want to get it dirty lol. I'm looking for something like that at the minute. Thumbs Up

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mensa wrote:
Thanks for the comment Milkster it is good to here what other prople think of other bikes.
I feel that the CBF is a bit wider than the CBR because i was going to get a CBR but found them far to thin as i am 6 foot tall.

I also have travel far on my 125, i went to cornwall from bristol with my girlfriends brother

No worries mate, i apologize for saying the CBF is slim to Rolling Eyes

I watched a video of MCN reviewing the CBF125 on Youtube, and i have to admit, looks wider than the CBR, and slightly larger Thumbs Up

That's a long journey mate! A lot people do distant rides on 125's, a lot more than i thought actually Rolling Eyes

I'm chuffed to bits with my 125, had it for about 7 months, and i'm getting quite attached to it now, will be upsetting to see it go for a bigger bike Sad

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:14 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Just for 125 riders :) Reply with quote

neil.martin wrote:
It's been very reliable, very cheap to run, got me through my test, gave me lots of valuable road experience, gets me to work, cheap to insure, cheap to tax, enjoyable to learn to work on it, easy to filter with.

There are a few things in there i missed out, and they're exactly what you put. I love how much it costs to run my bike, great fuel consumption, can do 170 miles on 1 tank, and it can only hold 8 litres, tax and insurance are cheap too. Same as you, it's a nice way to gain road experience Smile

I like the YBR, i saw the new model that Yamaha are bringing out in 2010 in MCN, it looked the part for a 125 commuter, you should check it out Thumbs Up

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:23 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl_steveo wrote:
Milkster that bike looks awesome. I quite fancy one of them. Have you tried it off road yet or do you not want to get it dirty lol. I'm looking for something like that at the minute. Thumbs Up

Nah, i'm a pussy mate, i don't like getting it dirty Laughing i'm also the sort that keeps the bike garaged if it's raining Embarassed

However; i have ridden in torrential rain, constantly hammering it down for a whole hour and a half, it was unbearable, didn't have the full gear then either, just textile jacket and boots Laughing so i was riding with the feeling like i'd pissed my pants Laughing that whole journey put me off wet weather riding.

Anyway, back onto the subject, if you're keen on these bikes and want one, then all i can say is go for it! You won't be disappointed. They go fairly cheap when they're actually on eBay, as they're not a well known name. Very reliable, awesome to ride, big in size, easy to maintain, cheap to run Thumbs Up

I can see by your sig that you have an NSR, so hopping onto one of these will feel pretty slow, but nevertheless they're great fun Thumbs Up mine has topped 73mph, unfortunately the road ran out Laughing could push it to 75 Thumbs Up

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike (cut part of the tail bit off now)

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 19 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the mpg is another thing that isn't great, eats up the 2 stroke oil too.
Mind you, that's the choice you have to make, more power or more economy

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine drinks 2 stroke oil and i wouldn't mind but it's fucking expensive. I could be riding along on a little blast and really enjoying myself, then that little red light comes on and thats it I could cry because i know i have to go and spend like 13 quid a pop on oil. Sad

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:39 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
yeah the mpg is another thing that isn't great, eats up the 2 stroke oil too.
Mind you, that's the choice you have to make, more power or more economy

I like your bike bhinso, looks the part for a 125 Thumbs Up

Carl_steveo mate, i no what mean about 2 stroke oil, depending on what 2 stroke you have, it gets eaten up. My mate on his RS125, that just gargled the stuff, whereas my other mate on his Suzuki GP125, 83 model, that just hardly swallowed the stuff, he went to my house and back, and did the 300 mile journey with me, and that's when he realised his 2 stroke oil was running low (no light to show, just had to check) but i mean it's great Thumbs Up

Get Silkolene 2 stroke oil mate, for a 1 litre bottle it cost him £3.99, from Infinity Motorcycle's here in Peterborough. Don't no about other places, but my mate told me it's been tempting to get tesco Value 2 stroke oil due to the cheap price, but it must be shit.

Anyway, what you thinking of doing mate, you selling the NSR for a crosser/enduro or sticking to sports bikes?

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure mate because my NSR is off the road at the minute but it will be coming back very soon. I haven't rode for a while so when it comes back i will fall in love with it again lol. I want to keep my NSR and get an enduro/crosser its just if funds let me.

I'm also still arguing with my current insurance provider and have had a few interesting conversations and have just sent one annoying email to them with an attachment of a picture of my dog (long story) lol.

f1fan111
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:34 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

1997 Honda CG125

I'll start with the pictures first

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/f1fan111/cg125side.jpg

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/f1fan111/cgback.jpg

Best £220 i ever spent, since these pics now has proper L Plates on, no left mirror but seat cover replaced lol.

Not ridden off the island yet so has to be either

tour of the northern half of the isle of man (see link below)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Peel,+Isle+of+Man&daddr=Kirk+Michael,+Michael,+United+Kingdom+to:A10+to:bride+to:point+of+ayre+to:A2+to:douglas+to:peel&geocode=FQlaOwMdx0O4_w%3BFZtDPAMdK_65_w%3BFR5-PQMdZPC6_w%3B%3B%3BFSggPAMdYja9_w%3B%3B&hl=en&mra=ls&via=2,5&sll=54.28527,-4.53186&sspn=0.375975,1.234589&ie=UTF8&ll=54.300499,-4.461136&spn=0.375836,1.757813&z=10

or 3 laps around the TT Course 1st day it was one way over the mountain this year Very Happy with a BMW K1200RS behind me on lap one with Gfs sister following. Lap 2 had GFs dad on the K1200RS and GF sister was now on Ducati ST2 which broke down at ramsey hairpin then final lap was with a Peugeot Boxer van behind me to pick up ducati. The MIGHTY CG did the most laps of the course Laughing

Insurance, fuel costs, running costs, grin factor of being just on a bike no matter what the weather

This is more CG specific but having the choke on handlebars would be nice!!

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:31 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome buy! £220 for a CG, cracking price for a good reliable bike, perfect bargain, nice one! Thumbs Up

Laughing doing the TT on a CG is pretty dam funny, but definitely brave Laughing

Can't believe that mate, bet you had a great time on the track though, especially being the only bike to complete all laps with no problem, way to go CG! Priceless 125, great little thing Thumbs Up

Looks in decent nick for £220, best 125 buy of the year in my books Thumbs Up

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:34 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i'd video whore as well Laughing

Here's a video i made just over a week ago, weather was nice, so couldn't miss out on a ride Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sovx1kxUeM

Gashead Harry
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:55 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda CG125W

https://i35.tinypic.com/2gvu8f4.jpg

Around a 160 miles.
Its quick enough for the roads I use and it has fantastic MPG.
Reliablity has been an issue for me (The bikes seems to have had a hard life from its past owners) The bike also seems to be burning oil at a fast rate.

LewisD
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:37 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Re: Just for 125 riders :) Reply with quote

Whilst, I'm not a New Rider, I am riding a 125 at the moment, so I couldn't resist this thread Very Happy
Mine is a Hardknock 5150 - A Homemade, Hardtail kit bike (From the states)

Quote:

Not very far, on a hardtail you get a numb arse really quickly Very Happy
Plus everything starts to vibrate off the bike after 40 miles.
I reckon, longest stint in one go (without stopping for tea and bacon sarnies), about 35 miles.

Quote:

That it stands out from the crowd, there's currently less than 12 of these over in the UK at the moment apparently.
She turns alot of heads, and alot of people come over to ask about it.
Loads of the older riders really like it because it's a hardtail, and has loads of old school touches, like the suicide shifter, peanut tank and the 14" Z-Bars.

And it makes a great sound for such a little engine Very Happy
Quote:

A bigger engine - hypocritical I know, singing it's praises in a 125 thread - but she gets to about 65mph quite quickly, but just sits there.
The good thing about this bike is that it's effectively an empty shell, a blank canvas if you like.
There's guys in America squeezing 250cc V-twins, Triumph 500cc engines into the frame.

However, I'm quite happy at going 65 at the moment. The roads aren't long enough (nor smooth enough) around here for High speed on a hardtail.

I'd also love a wider seat... might get less of a numb arse then! Very Happy

milkster125 wrote:
Post some pics maybe too Thumbs Up

Happy to oblige Smile

https://premium1.uploadit.org/LewisDocherty//stocktank1.jpg

Then this one has a Harley Sportster tank that I'm trying to get to fit on (It's wonky in the picture as it's not bolted on):
https://premium1.uploadit.org/LewisDocherty//sportstertank1.jpg

The HUGE UK sized numberplate is now replaced with a USA sized (7" x 4") vertical plate. Looks alot tidier now. (Though I haven't got a picture of the USA plate)
https://premium1.uploadit.org/LewisDocherty//MyBike2.jpg

And a couple of YouTube videos for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSDHWsQrI1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzdsU5luCeA

I love it to bits, alot of people look at me like some kind of idiot for enjoying a 125cc bike on a full licence.
But fuck'em, I love riding it. Smile Thumbs Up

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis that is awesome. Where do i get me a one of them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7