Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Animals in Medical Research

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 20:14 - 21 Apr 2006    Post subject: Animals in Medical Research Reply with quote

An online petition has been launched to allow people to register their support for the use of animals in essential medical and vetinary research.

If you support this, you can sign the petition here

You can also read my vague efforts to get involved in defending medical research here. Mr. Green

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:01 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it... Kill a few animals now and it may save our children.

I 'signed' it.

Last edited by Flip on 02:24 - 22 Apr 2006; edited 2 times in total

strawberry
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:18 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it is certainly not a petition I would wish to sign, it is good to see people trying to voice their opinions in this area in a calm and rational manner. Certainly makes a pleasant change from the usual rhetoric spouted from all sides which does little to further any of the causes they propose to advocate.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 04:53 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed. Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 11:19 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the biggest drug company in Europe and we had some demonstrators outside our office the other day. What a bunch of clueless morons they were.

I wonder if they had diabetes would they turn down insulin and go blind, or if one of thier family had cancer would they be disgusted if the family member used anticancer drugs to save their life?

If the stupid tossers actually had a brain cell between them they could find a useful cause to protest against. While I don't really agree with animal testing it's clearly obvious that it's a necessary evil whose benefits far outweigh it's drawbacks.

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:29 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most animal testing (99%) is done within strict guidelines to limit any sort of cruelty/stress the animals will go through.

More worrying is the amount of animal cruelty done by evil fuckers in the general public.

Animal activists would do a better job of tracking these people down and giving them a good kicking that standing outside some drug companys office for a couple of days protesting.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I work for the biggest drug company in Europe and we had some demonstrators outside our office the other day. What a bunch of clueless morons they were.

I wonder if they had diabetes would they turn down insulin and go blind, or if one of thier family had cancer would they be disgusted if the family member used anticancer drugs to save their life?

If the stupid tossers actually had a brain cell between them they could find a useful cause to protest against. While I don't really agree with animal testing it's clearly obvious that it's a necessary evil whose benefits far outweigh it's drawbacks.

Did you see that woman last year? , she was a militant animal rights activist , she was then diagnosed with cancer, and her principles magically fell away and she agreed to use drugs tested on animals.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

strawberry wrote:
Whilst it is certainly not a petition I would wish to sign, it is good to see people trying to voice their opinions in this area in a calm and rational manner. Certainly makes a pleasant change from the usual rhetoric spouted from all sides which does little to further any of the causes they propose to advocate.

but people always hate debate especially if they are on the losing side, I remember a small online furball in a chat room where this environmentallist came in and started to annoy us , and stated the said solution bicycles,

at which I said so what are bicycles made of?

Or when people say that super high fuel prices are good whilst not realising at the same time almost all out food and daily necessities are transported by oil burning fossil fuel transport , even electric trains use diesel generators on many routes. And it was proven 2 years ago trains use MORE fuel per passenger mile than a fully laden diesel vehicle.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Joe wrote:

Did you see that woman last year? , she was a militant animal rights activist , she was then diagnosed with cancer, and her principles magically fell away and she agreed to use drugs tested on animals.

Surprising how the prospect of her premature demise managed to clear her mind isn't it?!
I'd go along with Joe that although I don't agree with the prospect of animal testing, as long as it's done under the advised guidelines the benefits still outweigh the drawbacks Thumbs Up

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:18 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would these people prefer that drugs weren't tested properly or more testing was done on people?

I doubt it, look at the pandemonium which followed that recent leukemia drug trial with the people who ended up in intensive care.

I don't have a problem with essential animal testing and believe it should be used when we haven't got a more effective 'test tube' alternative.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed it Thumbs Up
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV

strawberry
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:35 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
strawberry wrote:

but people always hate debate especially if they are on the losing side [...]

Not all people are so narrow-minded as to hate debate, even if they are on what some people would perceive as the 'losing' side. In this particular instance there doesn't seem to be a 'losing' side as such that I can see at this point in time (far too much still being discussed in the arena). Sadly I note that even in this thread the negative name-calling was resorted to which is a sad sight given how sensibly it was begun Confused

Out of interest, who do you see (if any) as the 'losing' side in this debate at present?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:

Surprising how the prospect of her premature demise managed to clear her mind isn't it?!
I'd go along with Joe that although I don't agree with the prospect of animal testing, as long as it's done under the advised guidelines the benefits still outweigh the drawbacks Thumbs Up

me too , though I think animal testing of cosmetics is a bit iffy since drugs = saving lives , while makeup = making an ugly girl look a bit less ugly but thats what beer is for.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 23 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

strawberry wrote:

Out of interest, who do you see (if any) as the 'losing' side in this debate at present?

both.

The people who think testing should not happen are losing the life saving debate and that they are willing to use such drugs when they are in trouble

The animal research labs ITRW as violence and intimidation prevents such labs from being built.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 21:22 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed.

I saw a packet of cat food once that said "not tested on animals". Laughing

zaknafien

PostPosted: 22:14 - 26 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
The people who think testing should not happen are losing the life saving debate and that they are willing to use such drugs when they are in trouble

Such as the prominent member of PETA in the US that sees no problem in using insulin developed through testing on animals to keep her alive...

Mockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:59 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dibbster"]Would these people prefer that drugs weren't tested properly or more testing was done on people?

quote]

People who subscribe to the 'dark green' way of life believe that all living things have moral worth i.e A human life has the same value as that of an animal or a tree. So in answer to this question, No, these people do not necessarily wish to see more human testing done, the problem they have with animal testing is with humans treating animals lives like they are inferior to their own.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 01:05 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mockey wrote:
with humans treating animals lives like they are inferior to their own.

Which they obviously are.

Mockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:29 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:

Which they obviously are.

In your opinion, yes.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 01:35 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mockey wrote:
In your opinion, yes.

Nope, pure fact.

Were top of the food chain, #1, numero uno. No amount of liberal wishy washy animals right's spin will change this fact.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
Were top of the food chain

I agree with your sentiment but, there is no such thing as the food chain for humans anymore. Most people do not know or care where their food comes from and those that do avoid the reality of how animals are farmed in order to satisfy our consumer demand. What it is to be part of the food chain (i.e. to chase, catch, kill, eat and to be chased, caught, killed and eaten) no longer exists for humans. We breed, contain, transport and slaughter.

I have no problem with animal testing what so ever (although some is not necessary). I just dislike the ignorance surrounding it, on both sides.

I'll never forget the time a family friend sat opposite to me in a restaurant, tucking into a nice shoulder of lamb and telling everyone how animal testing is so cruel. Rolling Eyes

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:06 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible to believe animal testing is cruel, if you believe that animals slaughtered for meat live happy lives until they have a relatively painless death.

In fact I believe that, but i also think animal testing is necessary, so Im not gonna lose any sleep about it, or want it to be stopped

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at GSK up till Feb this year.

We had animal protesters in leather coats outside our site!!! They were all posh kids from around the area.

Soon bloody ran when 3 cop cars and a helicopter turned up though!!!

I feel it's something that needs to be done for drug research. make up and stuff i couldn't give an arse about, but to know that a cure for a lethal illness could be missed cos a guy in a white coat was mean to a bunny....

All of it.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:13 - 28 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed Thumbs Up

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 29 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't use a shampoo unless it's been tested on fluffy little bunnywunnies first...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2