Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Project Ariel Colt: A twist to the tale...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I really hate classic bikes you've done a brilliant job with that bike, and what are you? 15? I remember wanting to do a project on my VFR400 but never got round to it (would be slightly harder but still Razz ) Inspiration lad, da iawn Thumbs Up

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

Mjolnir
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:03 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Jamie. Looks like you set out to do all you wanted to. You completely finished with it now or will you still be tinkering to improve bits? You planning on picking up another and doing the same thing at any point?

Which rally was it you were at? I'm sure I recognise the Triumph Spitfire behind your bike.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a local car/bike show and also a mini agreculteral show type thing.

Quote:
You completely finished with it now or will you still be tinkering to improve bits?

I will be buying a new headlight rim , new leavers , replacing various nuts and bolts ect, but yes I have finished what I planed to do which was to buy a bike , strip it down, restore all the parts ,put it back together and have it running again.

So the bike is now usable in the condition it is in.

The very first new thing I am going to buy is a new silencer ( £54. )
A nice shiny new chrome one.( It's to loud with a straight through pipe any way.) I have got to save up for it though just like the rest of the parts listed above (So it may take a few weeks/months), it will never be "finished" as such because I'm sure I will always find little bits and bobs to play about with. ( Toying with the idea of war styled saddle bags in beige, I would like some feedback on that idea if any one has any views on it)

All in all, I started with a scruffy bike and now have a nice bike that is good enough for me , I have had all good feedback from quite a lot of people at the show so that was nice as well. Smile

I have a new chrome filler cap but can't get it to fit at the moment due to it being slightly out of round. ( If you know what I mean) ( Crappy country, build quality is sh1t these days.) Twisted Evil

Quote:
You planning on picking up another and doing the same thing at any point?

Hell yea Very Happy, Any thing that comes a long thats a bargain really, maby looking in to getting an old Gsxr or something like Mattsprattuk owns, I am not sure if I would then be able to use it or a smaller cc bike on track days, what would I be allowed ( 125 250 I duno )? Any one know the rules around that ?

Also I will look in to getting a road bike for me and my dad to use on the road ( Him driving it of course) , if I get my off road buggy sold I know a BCF member is selling a cb750 not to far away from me that needs a little bit of work doing to it so might look in to getting that if its not sold by the time I have the cash.

Cheers, Jamie.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

id suggest getting yourself a 50cc project seeing as your riding one next year arent you?
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jamie, you have done well young man, do you have to double clutch those old bikes??? Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I do yes , I'm not to sure if you are supposed to though but it changes gear nicer that way. And don't forget about the right footed gears !

Also I will be getting one of these and having my plate wrote on it,

LINK.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah:

Quote:
Silencer
Item No.: 13062-54
Price: GBP 67.02

Dam , will be an even longer wait now. Sad

Any one know how much/were I could get army styled light brown/beige saddle bags from ?

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 12 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.suncustomleathers.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_61&products_id=718&osCsid=3694a9869976cfe38211005c4de23365

Something like that?

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 12 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ones this colour but canvas ones , plus this is only a picture of a bike I have seen them on, I take it mail order over the internet is the best way to go about getting them, so just a case of looking hard for them.
EDIT: ones like this might look cool , or do you think canvas would be nicer ?
https://www.omnieye.com/mc/ad-pics/11204211.jpg

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 31 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right , I have got £50 so not long to go and I will be able to buy my new silencer, after I have got that I will then save for a new head light rim , new levers and chrome tank badge surrounds.

Not to sure on the idea of saddle bags now(mainly becuase of costs) , but still I go to a lot of bike auto jumbles so if I find some cheap enough then ill go for them.

I have got another show a week on sunday so there will be some pictues of the bike from there , IIRC the bikes and cars get rode round the arena there so I might see if dad will video me on it.

Thumbs Up

Shaane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 31 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the final job m8, look forward to seeing new projects from you Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jamie S This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 01 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I have got enough money now and will be ordering it tomorrow Smile, I will be buying it from drangonfly and they are down south some were , will these postage strikes ect mean I won't get it for weeks ?

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silencer came to day . looks real nice and sounds so nice !

I'm a bit gutted tho , as it seems ill have to by a new front pipe as the new chrome next to the 50 year old polished metal looks daft , so another £40 needing to be spent.

I did how ever get £10 today for washing a car and cutting a law so I will spend that on a new chrome head light rim, then after that I will get the chrome tank badge surround ( £9 IIRC)

I also thi nk at some point I will bite the bullet and by a new cover for the seat, £90 though,Confused As it comes with the base and everything ( unless I could get one made for less than that by a saddler or something ?)

Cheers , J.

PS pics of the next exhaust will be posted tomoz.

Thumbs Up

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:44 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of places that will recover the seat for you at a fraction of the cost of £90 I reckon! Have a search around the net and make some calls to get quotes. Maybe even try play them off against each other Wink .

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics:

https://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/honda_tlr/DSC00587.jpg

https://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/honda_tlr/DSC00589.jpg

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool, although the seat does let it down somewhat. What's the performance like on it? I assume it's a 4t?

Only word of warning would be that the quality of modern chrome is often total shite compared to the old stuff. This is certainly the case on reproduction chrome trim for classic cars - it may look nice when new but it pits, rusts and falls off much quicker than the original. In fact people will often pay a premium for good NOS stuff. I hope this isn't the case for your silencer though!

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXS100_Chris wrote:
Looks cool, although the seat does let it down somewhat.

That was dads choice , I wanted to put a single one on but dad convinced me not to.
(TBH there is some horrid looking brackets under the seat that the mud guard bolts to.)

RXS100_Chris wrote:
What's the performance like on it? I assume it's a 4t?

I read a while ago that the top speed is supposed to be 65 MPH , I suppose it would go that with a road tyre on the back, yes its 4 t.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I want to put on was like this ( but bought in the uk)

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new cover for the only one.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seat-Saddle-Motorcycle-AJS-Norton-BSA-Ariel-Vintage_W0QQitemZ250150492757QQihZ015QQcategoryZ108839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean that I didn't like the design of the seat - in fact I prefer the dual seat to the single 'saddle', it's just the one in the photo looks like the cover doesn't fit properly or doesn't have enough foam or something!

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXS100_Chris wrote:
looks like the cover doesn't fit properly or doesn't have enough foam or something!

I think its due to the fact its gaffa tapped on, and not very well taped on at that , I'm trying to find some of them seat beading clip things that hook over and keep it on , just don't know were to get them from.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXS100_Chris wrote:
I didn't mean that I didn't like the design of the seat - in fact I prefer the dual seat to the single 'saddle', it's just the one in the photo looks like the cover doesn't fit properly or doesn't have enough foam or something!

yeah, ure right, it does look somewhat deflated Very Happy
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have got £100 saved now , I'm going to be buying a single seat and a rear carrier for the bike with this.

Will look something like this then:

https://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/b2/9e/27d8_1.JPG

https://i13.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/b2/9e/2b70_1.JPG

The seat will be around £35, the remainder of the money will be spent on a new head light rim and new leavers.
will post some pictures once I get them.

Last edited by Jamie S on 17:09 - 02 Sep 2007; edited 1 time in total

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up new (made in India ) sigle seats for £25 at big shows like Stafford Jamie.
You made a nice job of the Colt Very Happy

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 02 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. Thumbs Up

Thats were I was planning on getting the seat and various other bits , going on the Saturday. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10