BCF: Bike Chat Forums

dt125r tips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

norny135
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 25 Jan 2007    Post subject: dt125r tips Reply with quote

im buying a new dt and i just need sum tips on how to ride for the first few weeks/months coz i dont want to blow it up in the first week. its brandnew for about £2500 i dont know if thats gd or not and its a limited edition 1 it looks the dogs testicals. and is it safe to put a full dep on it straight away ......... thanks to any1 that replys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

XR125
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:03 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rev the balls of her for 600 miles.

When you get past 600 miles never rev the balls off her - having her flat out for 8 mile is okay but treat it like an 80 mph bike and it'll last you a long time.

Be careful on new tires, the gloss on them can make them a bit slippy also.

Oh - and run the hose over her at least once a week - maybe a nice cloth clean would be nice also - the engines paint will corrode in this wether if you don't do it, trust me.. do it.

Use the best 2 stroke oil - the expensive one.. fully synthetic.

Clean the chain with a spray of WD40 or petrol - rub with a rag and coat in chain wax.. buy a can, it's good stuff.

Don't do anything you're not capable off to soon - you're in no rush.

That is a good price by the way - most 2 strokes are usually in the 3k range.

And most of all, be safe. Smile

norny135
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i went to look it again today i think im in love i ment to take a few pics but i forgot il be gettin it next week sumtime so cant wait then i can rid of my gy125 if any1 is looking for 1 let me know. do u think i cud blag sum things (boots, helmet, ect.)off the shop if i go and pay cash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:12 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

In total agreement with XR125 Thumbs Up .

Get the tires changed sooner rather than later, OE are not nice (in fact total shit imho).

I rode one across Salisbury Plain a few weeks ago, very impressed !.

I would seriously consider buying this bike (im 43 Wink ) and find it more than capable of embarrasing KTMs (even the supposed pukka enduro tools).

Definate bargin , lucky git Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

norny135
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking ov gettin the black one but then i seen the limited edition one and i seen the light

norny135
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mountmotorcycles.co.uk

norny135
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the dt125r mx everts

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 26 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1trackdays wrote:

Get the tires changed sooner rather than later, OE are not nice (in fact total shit imho).

I would seriously consider buying this bike (im 43 Wink ) and find it more than capable of embarrasing KTMs (even the supposed pukka enduro tools).

Not being clever, but a DT wouldn't touch a KTM, EVER. The KTMs don't come restricted and in stock form both SX and EXC make over 35HP. The DT would manage about 22HP Fully de-restricted, which isn't easy. But it's all down to the rider, maybe you where racing a noob.

But saying that the DT doesn't need rebuilding every 5000miles like the EXC. You could probably do 20,000 or more without a top end rebuild. That's why I liked my DT it was bulletproof.

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

norny135
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at a few ktms but there a bit pricey i had to get a loan to get the dt and il be skint for a while now but i think it will be wothe it

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:45 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dischord wrote:
a1trackdays wrote:

Not being clever, but a DT wouldn't touch a KTM, EVER. The KTMs don't come restricted and in stock form both SX and EXC make over 35HP. The DT would manage about 22HP Fully de-restricted, which isn't easy. But it's all down to the rider, maybe you where racing a noob.

But saying that the DT doesn't need rebuilding every 5000miles like the EXC. You could probably do 20,000 or more without a top end rebuild. That's why I liked my DT it was bulletproof.

I suppose it about which bike in what situation !.
I rode it across the Plain with a few others on EXCs etc and it never got left behind, in fact it lead most of the way on the really tight and twisty boggy sections, it really suprised me how good it was.
As for racing Confused that would be a totally different matter , Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

norny135
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if i was gonna take it off road wot wud be the best things to change on it . coz i dont realy want to reck a brand new bike

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 27 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably tyres, I used IRC TR8's on mine. It's a chunky enduro tyre great on and offroad. I had Michelin AC10's before that, another road legal enduro tyre but If you accelerate hard into a corner they slip a little. The IRCs are better all round IMO.

You can adjust the powervalve on the DT very easily, set it up so the powerband is right where you want it. Once you've got used to the bike put a post up and I'll explain it better Thumbs Up

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

craig_gee
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:51 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got one of these, pick it up thursday from the stealers, paid 2459, already got renthals and tyres for it. hehe Thumbs Up Mr. Green Thumbs Up

craig_gee
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:52 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got one of these, pick it up thursday from the stealers, paid 2459, already got renthals and tyres for it. hehe Thumbs Up Mr. Green Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:26 - 28 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the running in procedure is a bitch, as mentioned you should be trying to, to some degree stick to it. This will be a bitch on a relatively slow bike, but another price you pay for a new vehicle.

After your 1000 miles or whatever, remember to warm the bike up well before thrashing. Should be fine to start riding when it's not to warm, but take it pretty gently until it is warm.

a1trackdays wrote:

I rode it across the Plain with a few others on EXCs etc and it never got left behind, in fact it lead most of the way on the really tight and twisty boggy sections, it really suprised me how good it was.

I've managed to keep up/lead ok on my CRM 125 which has a dodgy powervalve (very little low down power) with propper 250 enduro bikes, but I'm pretty sure if a KTM turned up and put the same amount of effort in, I'd be toast.

firefox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 02 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i got riped i paid 3k for my black dtre, the limited edition one was 500 more Evil or Very Mad

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:39 - 06 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

got mine for £950 and only 4k miles on it...

tottibabi
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:48 - 06 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

could i put some YZ125 forks on my DT125 as long as i change both sets of yokes also???!?? please help !

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 08 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you can make the bearings fit and the yokes dont restrict the turning circle.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 11 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tottibabi wrote:
could i put some YZ125 forks on my DT125 as long as i change both sets of yokes also???!?? please help !

You be better off fitting a whole front end (wheel/caliper etc). Saves alot of hassle! (wheel spacers etc and I think DT axles are smaller than the YZ's). You'll lose the steering lock and speedo though and I think the front end will be heavier. Do what im doing and try and find a front end from a more road biased off-roader...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1