My new toy!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:06 - 24 Feb 2007    Post subject: My new toy! Reply with quote

My shiney new Gas Gas Pampera 250.

I've ridden it today and it feels really nice. On the road there is no need to use first gear, because it doesn't really do anything.

Its really low and I can flat foot it with both feet which is great considering that all the other off roaders I've tried have been way too tall!

It has a punchy two stroke engine that runs on premix, and it is actually unbelievable how much low down grunt it has when you open the throttle.

The main downside is that at the moment it has no sidestand, which is a pain in the butt, but I'll probably get used to it. I could probably refit the sidestand, but I'm not certain if it would hold the bike up as the sidestand bracket has been re welded at some point. Also it has no working speedometer at the moment, although it does have an MOT. I may have to invest in a bicycle speedometer!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=44865

I obviously haven't taken it off road yet, but I am itching to as soon as I can. I'm also a bit wary of the fact it has no ignition switch, just a kill switch. If I leave it anywhere it would be really easy for it to go walkies. I'll also have to invest in a sturdy chain!

Once I've got all that stuff, and some offroad protective gear I'll be ready to attack some green lanes. I can't wait! Smile
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=44864

Last edited by MarJay on 23:54 - 29 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 24 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a speedo, got one of those trail tech speedos, got one for mine and is great.

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:39 - 25 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up nice bikes pamps, get it ready as Im going to arrange a little trip on Salisbury Plain in the next month , you are more than welcome (give us a go mister Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like, looks like a moped tho... Confused

..still I still like it

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:06 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple wrote:
I like, looks like a moped tho... Confused

If it didn't look small then I wouldn't be able to ride it. Even so I don't think it looks like a moped! Smile

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it's due to it's compact size, I still like it.

The KLR is too tall for me, couldnt ride it on the road, if I couldnt stop where there's a curb Laughing

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 13:55 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike that is mate.. is tiny tho Very Happy but good bikes! Have fun on it.

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 15:49 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the little 100cc thingy?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:15 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshAL wrote:

I dismantled the forks to replace the fork seals, and found that they were not very good.

From then on I realised the bike wouldn't be ideal for off roading, particularly as it has no torque to speak of.

I've still got it, it failed the MOT on nine items last week. I've got that down to two items which are front indicators flashing too quickly, and rear indicators flashing too quickly.

Not sure how to fix it at the moment... my window for a retest ends on friday.

I'll probably keep it as a commuter, but I doubt I'll ever go off road on it! Smile

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjay ,for all things PAMP give Dunkerman a shout on TBM forum ,

https://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/index.php.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:20 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1trackdays wrote:
Marjay ,for all things PAMP give Dunkerman a shout on TBM forum ,

https://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/index.php.

Yeah, the guy who sold it to me gave me links to a load of stuff written by him. Good stuff! Smile

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you simply need a new flasher relay for the front and rear. As to the availability of those items, I don't know...

Liking the bike though, motor heavily tuned for torque so a bit more useable on the road than some of the more headbanging 2 smokes Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:33 - 27 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
I believe you simply need a new flasher relay for the front and rear. As to the availability of those items, I don't know...

Liking the bike though, motor heavily tuned for torque so a bit more useable on the road than some of the more headbanging 2 smokes Thumbs Up

Yeah, thanks einstein! I'm only on my third flasher relay! Wink

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 28 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolz.

Rectifier? Only other thing I can think of. Also Lolz @ the crotch shot Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:12 - 28 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Lolz.

Rectifier? Only other thing I can think of. Also Lolz @ the crotch shot Wink

It has a rectifier, but no regulator.

It is designed like that from the factory.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 28 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then. What about removing the indicators? Are they a necessity for the MOT? Can't test what isn't there...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:32 - 28 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Ok then. What about removing the indicators? Are they a necessity for the MOT? Can't test what isn't there...

Yeah its definitely tempting...

I'd quite like to have them working though. Its not a problem that will be solved quickly so I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 28 Feb 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:19 - 06 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
FreshAL wrote:

I dismantled the forks to replace the fork seals, and found that they were not very good.

From then on I realised the bike wouldn't be ideal for off roading, particularly as it has no torque to speak of.

I've still got it, it failed the MOT on nine items last week. I've got that down to two items which are front indicators flashing too quickly, and rear indicators flashing too quickly.

Not sure how to fix it at the moment... my window for a retest ends on friday.

I'll probably keep it as a commuter, but I doubt I'll ever go off road on it! Smile

bang a resistor in the circuit, just make sure you put it in in series
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 18 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike for the off road stuff! Thumbs Up

will you use it much on the road tho? I'm not sure how easy it is to get on with a bike that runs on pre-mix if your doing alot of road riding. I have brought a CCM500 off ebay, that is road legal, but im not sure yet on if it is going to be any good on the road, being a 500cc 2stroke, with a small tank, and running on pre-mix. I suppose i would need to either work out how much oil to add to the empty tank at each fill up, and thus carry a bottle of 2stroke around everywhere? Or if there is any way that i could convert the bike to pump fed oiling, which i think would add too much weight and complication really?

BARRIE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:51 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi the pamp is good of road but hopeless on road

be sure to clean any muck out of the front of the front sprocket after offroad use
BARRIE

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:59 - 22 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Nice bike for the off road stuff! Thumbs Up

will you use it much on the road tho? I'm not sure how easy it is to get on with a bike that runs on pre-mix if your doing alot of road riding. I have brought a CCM500 off ebay, that is road legal, but im not sure yet on if it is going to be any good on the road, being a 500cc 2stroke, with a small tank, and running on pre-mix. I suppose i would need to either work out how much oil to add to the empty tank at each fill up, and thus carry a bottle of 2stroke around everywhere? Or if there is any way that i could convert the bike to pump fed oiling, which i think would add too much weight and complication really?

I just use it to get to work which is four miles away. I refill from a 20l jerrycan which is full of premix which I keep in my garage before each trip.

The lack of sidestand is more of an issue.

One member on another forum I was flicking through carried a 100ml syringe full of 2t with him so he could measure the correct amount when he gasses up whilst out.

I don't expect to use it on the road much tbh. I'm going to sell the KE100 because now its not really winter any more, I don't really need a winter hack!! Smile

(Snow notwithstanding)

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 16 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike, and around here you can get them on the cheap. I might be looking at my next bike, when I grow out of this one Very Happy. How do you park it without a sidestand?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:56 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble wrote:
Nice bike, and around here you can get them on the cheap. I might be looking at my next bike, when I grow out of this one Very Happy. How do you park it without a sidestand?

I just lean it against something! Smile

Its not very practical for day to day use, the speedometer doesn't work and it runs on premix so you can't just fill it up at the local petrol station. However it seems really good for off roading, but I still haven't tried it off road yet!

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 11 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, lean it against something? That must be a real pain in the arse. I'm sure you could devise a system to install your own sidestand, otherwise I'd be down the mechanic in a second getting one installed. It's probably rather hard to live without a sidestand...

In any case, that's a brilliant bike. My dad has a 2 stroke 250, and the power is beastly. have fun!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2