BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XR125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

zabotage
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:43 - 10 Mar 2007    Post subject: XR125 Reply with quote

Hey all, just bought an XR125, 04 with 2000 miles on the clock for £1550 (through a friend of a friend whos a dealer) got a free bike chain aswel Very Happy, any thoughts on the XR's? i heard the engines are like old donkeys and never give up, which is good because its mainly for going to and from university 10 miles away with the occasional to london about 70 miles away. its got loads a meta thief alarm fitted and seems pretty immaculate , seem ok to you guys?

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 11 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

I suggest you try using the search function the forum as i believe that there have been various threads discussing XR125's.

here
and here

There good bikes, but i wouldn't have paid that much for it. I sold mine 2 years ago (it was an 04 plate) for 1200 with 6000miles in excellent condition, not a mark on it.

I would have thought there's no point fitting the alarm system on it because it's so light, anybody can pick it up and have it off. The bike has bugger all space under the seat for anything - only the manual and that's it!. It's good that you got the chain for it.

It's a reliable bike and will do anythign you ask of it. Just don't expect silly speeds and stay off the motorway. Nothing went wrong with mine in the year i had it (from new), but make sure the electrics are sorted, there was a recall on certain bikes regarding the HT leads causing the bike to cut off - ensure that this is done.

Btw, what uni do you go to? I rode my XR down from lufbra to london and it was totally ball breaking! - it's a good town bike mind.

Keep it safe on the roads and welcome again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zabotage
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:42 - 11 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply, i looked around a bit and the other XR's seemed to be a tad more pricey then this one, might be due to what part of the country i live in, not sure, which brings to your other question; Portsmouth uni Smile.

Must admit it was very daunting going on the road for the first time with the instructor, I've only ever rid off road, so going through Southampton on a surprisingly small by comparison Honda Cg125 was a shock indeed, but i done it and went out on the roads i know, and will build up confidence gradually. But overall I'm not a fool or anything for buying this bike?

You be safe too Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 12 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
for 1200 with 6000miles in excellent condition, not a mark on it.

I'd love to find that vid of you doing a burnout on it now lol.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 12 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you want that vid, search in vids by Silver and find BCF streetfighters sunday!

Seriously, it was in excellent condition. All i did by doing the burnout was merely giving energy and promoting elasticisity in the rubber so it is not thermally set by the ambient temp Laughing

And Zabotage, you picked a sensible, multi-purpose learner bike and i had oodles of fun on it. When you get onto bigger bikes, you'll soon realise how silly riding the XR is! Razz Thumbs Up I miss mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 12 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
And Zabotage, you picked a sensible, multi-purpose learner bike and i had oodles of fun on it. When you get onto bigger bikes, you'll soon realise how silly riding the XR is! Razz Thumbs Up I miss mine.

I hear that. I still miss my MZ, riding that was throttle to the stop fun. I am sooo tempted to get another for cheap motoring with kicks.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
The bike has bugger all space under the seat for anything - only the manual and that's it!.

Are you talking about general space or has the bike actually got a small well for putting stuff under the seat!? If so, how do ya open it?? Question Shocked

lanester
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:16 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:
Titz wrote:
The bike has bugger all space under the seat for anything - only the manual and that's it!.

Are you talking about general space or has the bike actually got a small well for putting stuff under the seat!? If so, how do ya open it?? Question Shocked

To get to the document compartment (underseat storage) you have to unbolt the seat, so not a practical storage area, and its tiny!

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 13 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lanester wrote:
To get to the document compartment (underseat storage) you have to unbolt the seat, so not a practical storage area, and its tiny!

So is it more of a space under the seat rather than a purpose built storage area? And I'm assuming when you say unbolt the seat you mean with an actual spanner, not key or anything?... sorry for asking such specific questions - just wouldn't be the first time I've bought a bike and found something out about it 3 months down the line!!

On the XR, it took me 3 weeks to notice the little tool kit holder under the rear wheel arch!! And I'd twice given it a full clean by then! Embarassed

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an XR at the moment. Bought a late model 05 which had done 7000 miles. Top condition. anyway, I've now done about 5000 miles on it since last August. Brilliant in traffic. And I wouldn't say it's bad at all on A roads: I regularly have to do a 25 mile trip up from Preston to Lancaster on the A6 and while a little uncomfortable after a while, it's not a big problem to me. Have also done a few 200-300 mile trips on it which were fine.

Can be a bit slow uphill when you want to get to 60 or so. But very nippy to 30 with quick shifting.

Then again, I don't yet know any better. Love the Enduro riding style though. Can't be doing with low slung sports bikes. All in all, and having little idea about the competition, I'd say you've made a solid choice.

Don't even bother with the document storage under the seat though. You'll need a small backpack, and always try to chain it to something if you can (since it's light enough to pick up).

lanester
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:55 - 17 Mar 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

beanfeast wrote:

So is it more of a space under the seat rather than a purpose built storage area? And I'm assuming when you say unbolt the seat you mean with an actual spanner, not key or anything?...

Your absolutely right!

And Alex_A your not wrong. I originally wanted a sports bike untill i had the XR, i've since moved up to a Suzuki DRZ 400SM and wouldn't look back, i'm now looking at a KTM 690 SM in the future, they are just so much fun and practical than a sports bike except for one thing.... petrol tank size, but you can't have it all (my DRZ400 has a smaller tank than my XR125 had, lmao!!!!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1