Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First ride out last Saturday since CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mcfetti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:40 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: First ride out last Saturday since CBT Reply with quote

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the community here for all the postings old and new (especially ScardeyCat, I literally went through all 3 years of your posts reading up on your experience!)
They have been a massive help in getting me this far. cheers

I took my first ride out on my newly delivered 2013 Yamaha YBR125 early on Saturday morning since it would be quiet out and not many cars around. By chance I was either cacking my pants or too excited so barely slept Friday night and was up at sunrise getting ready!
Drove round and round the streets around my house and gradually felt more confident so started to go further afield.
After 3-4 hours of this (with sugar filled cups of tea in between) I embarked on a 50 mile round trip from Brighton up to Hurstpierpoint, across through Hassocks, down to Lewes and then Newhaven taking as many country roads as possible! So much fun! Back home on the A259 to Brighton. No mishaps at all fortunately although a couple of things I need to work on like not riding too close to the car in front and my starting off is not perfect every time yet. Still much learning to do.
cheers,
Simon.

https://i.imgur.com/C3K107xl.jpg

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:03 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great time of year to be out on 2 wheels....... Mr. Green

Stay safe Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonWal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:43 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time last week I was in the same boat as you, I went to pick up my YBR125 from Cardiff, a 2hour journey home.

Its amazing how much stuff you think you've forgotten when your CBT was 4 weeks ago.

What are your plans? Are you going to stick with the YBR for a few years, or go for Direct Access?

mcfetti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:12 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonWal wrote:
This time last week I was in the same boat as you, I went to pick up my YBR125 from Cardiff, a 2hour journey home.

Its amazing how much stuff you think you've forgotten when your CBT was 4 weeks ago.

What are your plans? Are you going to stick with the YBR for a few years, or go for Direct Access?

Yeah I had my CBT about 5-6 weeks ago and was slightly concerned about being out on the public roads again for the first time hence the reason to do it while there were no cars around. £30 delivery meant I could build up confidence again when I wanted and at my own pace. I've done about 130 miles since Saturday now!

The plan was to spend a couple of months on this and then do a DAS but now I've just got a new job starting next month so need to be choosy when to take holiday off for the first few months so maybe try and do it Aug\Sept. I spent more on a bike than I really wanted to so am a bit unsure how much I will get back on it. That might make me keep it for a bit longer.
Not done theory test yet so I've bought a Motorcycle Theory and Hazard PC program to brush up on my highway code etc (24 years car driver and there wasn't a theory test to pass back then!) and I'm gonna buy some cones and practise the MOD1 layout.
Meanwhile I need to purchase some motorcycling boots (looking at the urban range) and some kevlar jeans as I've only got a helmet, jacket, gloves.
I've been wearing a his-vis jacket as well and I think that has really helped with people seeing me although obviously you don't rely on it.

What about you? How was your 2 hours journey home?!

mcfetti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:13 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceslock wrote:
Great time of year to be out on 2 wheels....... Mr. Green

Stay safe Thumbs Up

Yeah it was perfect timing weather wise...blue skies almost over the whole weekend down near Brighton anyway Smile

JonWal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:12 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcfetti wrote:
[What about you? How was your 2 hours journey home?!

I wish I couldve had the bike delivered, or stuffed it in the back of my car!

The journey was prety much uneventful, a lot of firsts, such as hitting 60mph on a bike (those winds really do try to pull you off the rear of the bike).

I did my first proper hillstart, which I completely messed up and trundled myself to the side of the road for the cars behind to pass.

I like the bike though, its pretty forgiving on the gears, I do find theres a knack to getting first gear though.. but Im pretty sure the YBR125 I did my CBT on was the same. I havent hit a false neutral as yet..

Like you, I want to do my full A by the end of summer, but its dependant on a number of variables at the moment.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it. It only gets better Very Happy

mcfetti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:54 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonWal wrote:

I did my first proper hillstart, which I completely messed up and trundled myself to the side of the road for the cars behind to pass.

I like the bike though, its pretty forgiving on the gears, I do find theres a knack to getting first gear though.. but Im pretty sure the YBR125 I did my CBT on was the same. I havent hit a false neutral as yet..

Like you, I want to do my full A by the end of summer, but its dependant on a number of variables at the moment.

Yeah I've the odd stall from a stop but that to be expected I think. Hillstarts are interesting though! Practise makes perfect as always...

I also had some troubles initially getting into first gear on the YBR while in a complete stop and found that getting into first before I completely stopped eradicated that problem, moving down the gears as I was slowing down while anticipating the traffic going again.

I won't be to bothered if I don't go full bike license by the end of the summer...although ask me the same question in July Confused

mcfetti
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:55 - 22 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Enjoy it. It only gets better Very Happy

Very Happy Thanks!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1