Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Argh! Local Council

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 15 Apr 2007    Post subject: Argh! Local Council Reply with quote

Hi. Last autumn I bought a second hand Honda XR 250R for £800 as a winter work hack instead of using my cbr and risk coming off in the wet, etc. Plus there was the additional bonus because it had knobbly tyres I could go green laneing. There are two green laneing/off road areas around here, one called “The Pimp” lol - I’ve no idea why it’s called that, but according to local folklore it was used as a police training ground decades ago so they could teach them how to chase off road bikers, it’s alrite, but it’s a rather small area and the other was the Shafton Pit stacks. The pit stacks over a period of years have been turned into a massive playground for off road bikers, probably 5 times the area of “The Pimp”. I don’t actually know if UK Coal still owns the stacks, because they’ve just been left there for 20 years and no one has planned any developments.

Anyways, I went up to the pitstacks early this year after a few weeks of not going up and I was greeted with a massive moat type dug up area all around the entrances, after I eventually found a way in, I was shocked to see that some sort of digger had gone around the entire area and planted huge concrete blocks to stop certain passageways, they had dug complete areas up so that no one could ride there anymore, moved huge areas of mud to block other areas off. I was a tad pissed off since going to stacks was my way of enjoying myself for just a few hours every month, now some council workers had destroyed it. Today I went up for the afternoon to see if they had done anything else and I was greeted with a massive 7-8ft tall fence around the perimeter. Luckly someone had been at the fence with power tools and chopped away at a section enough for 4x4 vehicles to get through and also bikes. Turned out they hadn’t ruined anymore sections, just erected the fence.

What annoys me about this, is that my bike is road legal, it’s taxed, I go down in full bike gear (Helmets, glovers, boots, etc) I try and respect the law the best of my abilities. Unfortunately the local residents must have been campaigning for the area to blocked off for years because of the racket of 40+ crossers, endures blaring up and down all day and the occasional nobhead leaves a burnt out car there.
But at the same time, I feel that doing a bit of off roading could keep potential trouble makers occupied, instead of causing trouble on the streets, plus there are the genuine off road fanatics who spend hundreds of there flash KTM’s that go down there. Sorry for the long rant, but I feel the do gooders have ruined my bit of afternoon fun, although in there argument I suspect the noise ruins there afternoon lunch. Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Mad Sad

Here are a few pics before the digger had it's ways. Aint got any new pics yet, but I will do next time.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010011-1.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010014-1.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010036-1.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010032.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010030.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010026.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010024.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010021-1.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/VivaCity/P1010018-2.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GRUFF
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:06 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly how you feel mate, it's the same where i am. There is a area like that near me, my cousin used to take his motocross bikes up there when he was a teenager & he's 30 now! It's not used for anything & it's right near the A2 so i seriously doubt people can hear the sounds of bikes over the traffic. The council are always digging up trenches, putting in gates etc but someone always finds a way in.

Anyway if they just left this for people to ride on it would stop the teenagers riding up and down my road & back alley all day and doing what other stuff they should'nt be doing.

I push my bike there on all the main roads where as all the teenagers stop & say why u pushing it? and then shoot off up the road. I even got stopped by the police the other day & the WPC told me they don't mind as long as people don't ride on the roads on the way. She told me they tell everyone to ride there.

But still the council try to stop you going in Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:24 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up to the land owner whether they let you use it or not. If they do, they need insurance and planning permission. These places also attract the "wrong sort" of rider: e.g. kids on stolen MX 'bikes, so it's just not going to happen.

However, if you're fully road legal you can use byways and UCRs - look at an OS map and you may be surprised at how many there. If you want to ride with others then see if there's a local TRF group you could join.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:51 - 16 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top advise by KTM Gordo!do yourself and all us legal riders a favour ,lose the knob heads and stick to LEGAL BYWAYS,its the action that you have quoted that indeed DOES get us all tarred with the same brush ,and before you know it ,no more legal routes ,.................penny dropped yet?the only ones that will then ride anywhere are the "tossers on crossers",report aNY illegal off road activity and yes do join the TRF ,you will then see that behind the scenes alot of people put more into this than just riding at a w/end.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 13:37 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That place looked like fun Crying or Very sad

cokker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:36 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
That place looked like fun Crying or Very sad

Agreed.

You cant have fun anywhere these days, even having fun off the road is not allowed, starting to piss me off now...

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 17:08 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a good ol' fashioned revolution Thumbs Up

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:02 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokker wrote:
You cant have fun anywhere these days, even having fun off the road is not allowed, starting to piss me off now...

So I assume it's OK if I come over to your place and ride around in your garden without asking first?

Private property is just that: private.

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cokker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:06 - 17 Apr 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Gordo wrote:
cokker wrote:

So I assume it's OK if I come over to your place and ride around in your garden without asking first?

Private property is just that: private.

If it was big enough id let you build a ramp and everything Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1