Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trail Riding Wales - Highly Recommended

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:40 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Trail Riding Wales - Highly Recommended Reply with quote

Hi,

Just come back from a 2-day trail riding weekend with

Trail Riding Wales

and i must said it was an absolute blast that was definitly worth the money and then some. I would certainly reccommend it for anyone who is either experianced and looking for a good place to go and test their skills to someone who has done very little or none before and want to give it a try.

Its a small club run experience weekend that ranges from bring your own kit to full bike/kit supply, very very friendly and helpful guides (I say guides rather than 'instructors' as thats what they do, guide and help you out rather than tell you exactly how they want you to ride) and an absolutly gorgeous scenic area of Wales to do it.

We spent the first day about 30 mins from Aberystwyth, meeting at a visitor centre where we all park up and meet the others in the group (we had 7 on our first day, 3 experienced club riders who were 'in charge' and then varying skills from never tried to pretty good). Get kitted up and talk and choose bikes depending on what you want and the advice they give then your on the way! Weather was perfect for it, blue skies all the way and we were offered chance for either jackets or armour/jerseys (which were much nicer for the warm weather!).

The trails range from gravel roads to dry streams, apparantly impassable drops and ascents, rutty paths, huge mud pits and puddles to anything you can imagine. Most of the time there are several routes of varying difficulty so people who stuggled could leave out the difficult sections. Although having 3 people covered in crap as they drag you out the 3 foot of slush is half the fun! Get about 50-60 miles done in a day with a break at a cafe thats filled with bikers of all kinds where you get a much needed half hour to relax before your out on the bikes again!

Second day was spent near Cadre Idris (sp?) with just myself, my dad and the guide Colin, absolutly top bloke and allowed us to go at our own pace and was patient when we were struggling but also helped out and urged us on to do a few things we probably wouldnt have otherwise! Again absolutly beautiful scenary and a smaller group meant we got most of our photos on the second day. Riding along mountain ridges, cliffs to one side mountain to the other at pretty high speeds on the grass paths its an absolute blast! Weather on this day was a bit more varied, cold spells and some wet but when your pounding along or trying to get yourself over those rocks you barely notice!

Armour and clothing is provided although we used a mix of our own and theirs for comfort/protection, everyone gets knocked about a little bit which is all part of the fun! I managed to get intimate with a stone wall at about 30 on a downhill, luckyily i didnt go over it or i would have been falling for some time before i hit the valley below!

Anyways, for anyone who is interested or has never thought much about it before i would throughly recommend giving it a try its alot of fun, a great workout and generally one of the most enjoyable things you can do on two wheels!

Put a few of our photos up below, obviously we couldnt stop at the most challenging or interesting/difficult bits to take photos so most dont really show the difficultly/variety in the trails but you get some idea of the terrain and can imagine it yourselves!

For anyone interested have a look at the link, tell them Chris and Chris recommended them (they'll know who ya mean!) cause we're bound to go back again one day and see them all again Thumbs Up

(The lady who runs the business and rides with you is
marianne@trailrides-wales.com)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a lot of fun... another thing to add to the " to do when i get a job" list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely gonna do this.
I've never been to wales before, but I'm going to have to. It just looks beautiful.

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisence required? hire bikes?

looks bloody good though!!

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dischord wrote:
lisence required? hire bikes?

looks bloody good though!!
if you want to do the lanes you need a license, although they do "field days" which from what i read on the site is like private farm land so don't need license for that...

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:47 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah techincally (and this is a big ol' technicality) ALL the trails are roads, that includes the dried up streams, the mud filled ruts and everything!

So for the real experience a license is needed, but yeah as was said there are private land area's where non-license events are held. Best to check etc.

As for hiring, yup bikes off-road kit as much or as little as you need.

We had great time with what we had, decent solid bikes that ranged from beginner to a bit more pokey depending on what we wanted. Damage isnt an issue they expect them to be dropped or knocked about a bit... i imagine anything stupid stupid would be an issue but they were top folk and i dont think you need worry.

dazco
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:38 - 11 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down in Wales myself the other week near Rhyadar(probably spelt wrong )
Fantastic trails even for big offroaders
https://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/andreacoates/BikestopendoffirstRes.jpg
https://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/andreacoates/Onthetrail.jpg
hopefully these pics will show, if not ill try again later.

Jayd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:48 - 12 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of this, what selection of bikes do they have, and do they cover your insurance or do you have to arrange your own?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 12 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to organise a BCF outing for that, you could put my name down for sure. Thumbs Up

gs5pete
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:35 - 12 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks fun. I'd a definite "maybe" Smile

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:23 - 12 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big trailies...? Hmm... Now there's an idea.

https://images.fotopic.net/ynxjl2_fe01d67a002dfa0f3ac084298142eccd.jpg

Although small ones would probably work too Smile

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dazco
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:59 - 13 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a couple of KTM 955's and a couple of 640's and they coped no problem as did my 1100GS.
Be best to fit some Knobblies aswell, especially if theres been some rain Wink
Get yourself an Ordnance survey map and start looking for those trails Smile

KatieMsidecar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:29 - 15 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks - it's Marianne here, of Trail Rides Wales, to answer a few of your questions.

Bikes available: 2 x Suzuki DRZ 400 E, 1 x DRZ S (will soon be 3 Es but one off the road for repairs at present), 1 x Yamaha TTR250 (will soon be 2 as just bought a new one and need to register it), 1 x Yam TTR600, 1 x Serow (great for shorter people and used on private land to teach beginners), 1 x Lanza DT230 (but a bit past its best, so not used regularly) and for experienced riders Colin will occasionally let his Husqvarna WR250 2 stroke enduro bike be used.

All protective clothing supplied. For more info see www.trailrides-wales.com

We also do guided trail riding for people with their own bikes, including big trailies. With our club, the Diamonds MCC, we held a Long Distance Trial last August only open to riders of bikes over 600cc, and I must speak to Andy Cadney of the Big Bike Challenge about doing it again this year.

I am the Rights of Way Officer for the Mid Wales TRF group, and am gradually visiting the council offices in the area we ride. I have been to Gwynedd Council a few times, and found some UCRs not on the OS maps which we need to find time to go and explore. I will be visiting Ceredigion next week, and Powys next month.

Some of the UCRs are very easy - and some of the minor tarmac lanes are very interesting - so I am putting together a route suitable for big trailie riders on road tyres.

If you don't want to pay Colin or I to guide you (fair enough - it's always surprised me that people are willing to pay for a guide when they could get the information off a map!), then I will mark maps for free as a courtesy. I will design a route and mark a map with detailed notes to help you find your way for £25, plus the cost of the OS map if you wish me to buy it for you. You tell me how far you want the route and what your fuel range is.

By the end of the summer, we should also have an enduro sidecar. I used to have KTM 620 enduro outfit (hence the user name!) but crashed during an event in 2005 and broke my leg badly. I sold the outfit to my passenger, who is now the driver with his 16 year old son passengering. However, I still own an old KX500 outfit which needs an engine rebuild, a new exhaust fabricating (standard exhausts don't fit sidecars) and new shocks all round.

I will be doing Weston Beach Race with my daughter in aid of Breast Cancer Research and Children In Need. The first time an all-female sidecar team has raced, I think. The pic is Nathan and I during the 2003 Weston.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Would I have to arrange my own insurance if I used your bike(s), or do you provide the cover?

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:53 - 15 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

KatieMsidecar wrote:
Some of the UCRs are very easy - and some of the minor tarmac lanes are very interesting - so I am putting together a route suitable for big trailie riders on road tyres.

I like the sound of that. My big 'bike will have to earn its TRF sticker...

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:21 - 16 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayd,

I used their bikes and all the insurance etc is taken care of for you, just bring along your license.

And from what we talked about (marianne can explain better!) theres no charging for damage to bikes etc... as long as its reasonably unavoidable stuff.

I'm sure a dim view is taken on acting like a prat on someone elses bike, but i dropped mine a few times through normal use an no one complained!! (except me out of embarassment!)

Jayd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:54 - 16 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barker. What if you have a restricted license though? Just get given a smaller/restricted bike?

KatieMsidecar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the double post above.

Trail riding is fine on lower power bikes as most of the time the trails are too technical for much speed. Indeed some of the tricky stuff is quite difficult on the DRZ400, as you have to be quite delicate on the throttle otherwise the rear wheel spins and dumps you!

As said, as long as a rider is trying to master the techniques, we don't have a problem with minor damage to the bike. We do get annoyed by prats who think they know it all, as invariably they insist on a DRZ and can do a lot of damage. All 3 of our DRZs have been flipped. That costs us £572 (ali rear sub-frame costing £400, rear mudguard £60 and numberplate £12). Obviously a loss for us, as the rider has only paid £170.

But most people are not prats. Just as well - else we wouldn't still be in business!

Marianne

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:39 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now theres someone i recognise Wink

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Gordo wrote:
Big trailies...? Hmm... Now there's an idea.

https://images.fotopic.net/ynxjl2_fe01d67a002dfa0f3ac084298142eccd.jpg

Although small ones would probably work too Smile

Bigger the better, small ones are for wimps. Wink

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/finglonga/DSCF1577.jpg

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 29 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
My willy is begger than yours Razz

Hehe Razz

Sounds like a good day out. I am considering taking up stunting and/or offroad riding, both of which would mean buying a supermoto/mx bike. I'll give this some thought, as a nice taster like this is just what i need to decide whether i really want to invest in a bike and the correct gear.

Anyone up for a group trip?

Jack

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 30 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:

I would be.

I did a trials day on little 200cc Scorpa's a year or so ago, and that was brilliant fun.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Jack_Cheese wrote:

I would be.

I did a trials day on little 200cc Scorpa's a year or so ago, and that was brilliant fun.

Was that up in Rhydymwyn by any chance?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 30 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing by the lack of vowels that's in Wales.

Nopes.

KatieMsidecar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

y and w are vowels in Welsh! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2