Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:26 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

Right I have an (hopefully) Easy and Quick question for you bunch a ... erm ... *cough* ... bikers Rolling Eyes

Anyways, some may be aware my engine blew up in my Aprilia Pegaso 125 (Rotax 123), so in went a Rotax 123 from an RS125 of a 2 year younger bike.

Basically my rev range is 10.5k Redline, then goes up to 12.5k to end of Redline. Now the RS125 i beleive has a 12.5k Redline then goes to 14.5k, or am i wrong already?

Basically when i hit my redline of 10.5k, have i got another 2k to play with before "really" hitting the red line?

Or is my revometer (cant think of right name) geared to read say the 12k the engine is doing as 10k on my revometer?

Or perhaps the stock Pegaso 125 Rotax 123 was geared slightly different to only use 10k and 12k at it's limit?

Basically im wondering say i hit 1k into red, so 11k, that really is only 11k, or its tecnichally 13k if you understand me.

Purly for interest reasons and possibly a little more fun once in a blue moon Razz .

Cheers all,

Luke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

a tacho will only display what its reving, it can't lie (unless its a mechanical tacho with the wrong worm gear)
so if you have a rs125 engine and it redlines at 12.5krpm thats what it'll redline at no matter what bike its in Very Happy

post a pic of your bike, Very Happy ididnt know they made a pegasso 125,
have you derestricted it as well Very Happy Thumbs Up

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The different exhausts on the two bikes will be the main factor in determining the actual redline / peak power.

The redline should be the point at which it makes the most power. The redzone is over run, where the engine will rev BUT won't increase in power.

Don’t trust the tacho to display the actual real RPM. Mines a good 500rpm off. It’s just an indication.

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:18 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmz:

I'll get some pics up in a mo, just witnessed my brother crash outside my wondow in his cage so cant remember where the pics are right now lol (dont worry just a bent cage) ... and yes it's de-restricted with full arrow system on too Very Happy

cagiva:

I get power up in my red line and a pretty heafty amount too and yes it does kick in at 7.5k which is the useual but now i have a lot of power sitting there ...

I'm just curious to know if my red-zone is really useable power and basically my red-zone would be once my tacho ends ...

Thanks all,

Luke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
The different exhausts on the two bikes will be the main factor in determining the actual redline / peak power.

The redline should be the point at which it makes the most power. The redzone is over run, where the engine will rev BUT won't increase in power.

Don’t trust the tacho to display the actual real RPM. Mines a good 500rpm off. It’s just an indication.

Redlines are not where an engine makes most power, by the time the redline is reached the power will be long gone. Each bike is different where it makes peak power.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on a bout strokers, so it should be the peak power point.

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:04 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way i can test my red zone really is my red zone or if it's useable revvs instead of being "Emergency Revvs" ?

If so, i have a lot more running that i thought Razz ...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No, red line is about where it is safe to rev the engine to, although they might be tuned to produce peak power around there.

Rotax 123 engined RS125 has the red line at 10750rpm.

All the best

Keith

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:27 - 18 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah bugger, so no more revvs for me to play with Razz ...

I will admit now that today for one time only i took her to 11k down to a complete **** in a V8 powered off-road cage who was some what disapointed by their vehicle Razz ...

Anyway, the reason is that i was at 11k without knowing it as once in the power it rocketed and even at 11k it relly felt like it had some punch left, my PV is working where it should be but i seem to be getting some mysterious power up there.

Also noticed this engine sounds very different to the old one, almost sounds like a supercharger kinda hiss in low revvs and sounds like there enough belt comming out the exhaust to send me verticle and vibrates like mad when in higher revvs ... It feels and sounds quite different to the old engine.

Anyway, that wont be happening again especially whilst finishing the run-in, thanks for all your help everyone, has been quite an ineresting theory ...

Now if only i can get my hands on a Rolling RS125, i think this is a little more grunty than most, lol ...

Cheers,

Luke.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:12 - 19 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

alien.46.uk wrote:
Is there any way i can test my red zone really is my red zone or if it's useable revvs instead of being "Emergency Revvs" ?

Get it booked onto a Dyno Smile

That will then give the the figures in relation to bhp/revs

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 19 May 2007    Post subject: Re: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

alien.46.uk wrote:

Some may be aware my engine blew up in my Aprilia Pegaso 125 (Rotax 123),
Luke.

Why did your engine blow up?

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 11:44 - 19 May 2007    Post subject: Re: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

Odie wrote:
alien.46.uk wrote:

Some may be aware my engine blew up in my Aprilia Pegaso 125 (Rotax 123),
Luke.

Why did your engine blow up?

he got confused & looked at the revometer instead of the velociometer Wink

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 19 May 2007    Post subject: Re: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:

Dont you mean "tachometer"
Thumbs Up

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:23 - 19 May 2007    Post subject: Re: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:

See now, takin the pe-ice, only works when the recipient knows wtf your on about Laughing which in my case ... huh?

And tbh i dont know why it blew up, perhaps to old and tired with 29,000 on the clock, or maybe i pushed it too much going through the storms it went through on the trip it decided to blow ... I dont know tbh ...

Anyway, new engines in, old engine's sold so all is good Thumbs Up

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Re: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

alien.46.uk wrote:
at i dont know why it blew up, perhaps to old and tired with 29,000 on the clock, or maybe i pushed it too much

To old and tired with 29,000 on the clock, you are having a laugh arent you, thats bugger all on a well maintained engine!
Look after your engine and it will serve you well, regular oil changes are a must.
The red line is not a target to aim for as your little engine will not last long if you keep doing it!

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:12 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Re: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

Odie wrote:
To old and tired with 29,000 on the clock, you are having a laugh arent you, thats bugger all on a well maintained engine!
Look after your engine and it will serve you well, regular oil changes are a must.
The red line is not a target to aim for as your little engine will not last long if you keep doing it!

Yes i know all this, dont worry, lol and when i say too old and tired, it was an italien import a year ago so has had some italien bloke using it for 15 odd years before me and having been over there they dont really do much else but push it to it's peak all the time.

Odie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Re: Simple Question ... Well I Hope So ... Reply with quote

alien.46.uk wrote:
having been over there they dont really do much else but push it to it's peak all the time.

So if you dont mind me asking "WHY DID YOU BUY IT"
The fact that its an import dont help you either, especialy when looking for parts (as you have found out).
Perhaps with this one you might take it easy, have you checked out your new engine before fitting it?
Last thing you want is for the same thing to happen again!
Wish you all the best, i think you might need it!

alien.46.uk
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:55 - 20 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if you dont mind me asking "WHY DID YOU BUY IT"
The fact that its an import dont help you either, especialy when looking for parts (as you have found out).
Perhaps with this one you might take it easy, have you checked out your new engine before fitting it?
Last thing you want is for the same thing to happen again!
Wish you all the best, i think you might need it!

I bought it as i love it Razz ... Basically, looking at all the useual 125 suspects like the mito, rs125 etc, but i wanted to be different, went to this old garage where these italien blokes imported bikes and sitting all on it's tod in a corner looking fairy miserable was this.

Sat on it and loved it, it's big it's bulky it has decent power for it's size saying the the 600cc frame (always thought it was the 650cc frame, but its the older 600cc frame) and it was different and i like to having something un-useual Razz

Plus a year ago having just turned 17 i wanted something ASAP and this was a great find. To a certain extent i have thoroughly enjoyed working on it and getting it back to a good standard, i know so much more than i did a year ago when i bought her.

As to parts it's not really that difficult, only ever really needed engine parts and as it's the old rs125 engine/af1 engine/lots of 125cc aprilia engine Razz, parts for that are easy.

Some parts have been more difficult to get but only a matter of a maximum of 2 weeks.

When i got the engine i checked it out, found it needed new top end which was fitted and it feels a decent bottom end.

As to luck i think im ok for now, im happy it seems happy so as long as it gets me through the next 2 - 4 months i'm happy even more as the full test is going to happen around July then bigger bike hunting will resume, possibly the 650cc Pegaso Razz

Anyway, thanks for everyone's time.

Luke.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1