Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help, motorcross / enduro bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 21 May 2007    Post subject: Help, motorcross / enduro bike Reply with quote

Right , F_U_C_K it,( Any one who seen my what bike to get my dad thread : I have decided to treat my self, not him Razz ) I'm going to buy a dirt Laughing cheap motor cross bike to rag around the fields and to race against my mates( only in fields , no competitions or nothing) , I only want to spend £100/£150 or so on one , what will I get for that money thats fast and will kick A_S_S against my mates ? or is it a pipe dream that can't possibly happen for that sort of money?

It don't have to look nice or be new , 1980's, early 1990's would do, drum brakes , very basic just a fun bike really.

What cc should I look for? 80 ? 125 ? 250 ?

4 Stroke or 2 Stroke ?

I have had a go on a 450 Enduro bike(4 t) and I can JUST about handle that so would any more than a 250(2t) be to dangerous ?

The reason I want one is so that I don't wreck my TLR200 , its just for a bit of fun every now and then thats all.

Cheers, Jamie.

PS. I'm not "in the know" about motocross bikes.

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:12 - 22 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think you will get ANYTHING for £150 that will not need more money thrown at it .

IF you get a "field " bike the chances are it could be stolen (frame /engine numbers missing) and could land you in more shit than those muddy fields..

eg below is scrap , spares ?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIELD-BIKE-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ170114092787QQihZ007QQcategoryZ9809QQcmdZViewItem

This one below at least has numbers etc
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-XT250-XT-250-Field-or-Trials-Bike_W0QQitemZ170113761163QQihZ007QQcategoryZ9809QQcmdZViewItem

Also "crossers " will need a constant supply of parts to keep them running so DONT get a competition type machine.

Stick with the TLR Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 23 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I do not want to wreck the TLR like I said.

Cheers tho, I was expecting to be able to get one for a few £100's.
preferably a 4 stroke as they need less engine re builds.
Sad

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:08 - 24 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago things were different, it would be possible to get a ok bike for around £200 ish.

Off roading etc seems to have become very popular so prices have gone silly.

I have picked up runners for £40-£70 that I found on e-blag (mostly private, or word-of-mouth) these deals are now long gone Evil or Very Mad .

You cant even seem to pick up a mini-moto (shagged) for that type of money Thumbs Down .

Loads of people buy bits + non runners from car boot sales to re-sell on e-blag and seem to make a tidy profit .I think this has inflated prices to the extreme.

The other thing to consider is that £200 is now really "pocket money " ( one really good night out on the lash with a taxi) !

Many old Honda xls, Yamaha dt /xt ,Suzuki ts/sp are now classed as classics (25-30 years old now) so there value is rising fast ( take a tip here Exclamation if you find a really nice one lock it away> dont ride it !).

Jamie > your tlr is near classic, its is getting very desirable to the collectors BUT the fun you have riding it is worth more than ££££ INHO. As long as you look after it properly it will be fine and if you have children of you own in the future something to hand to them !

< waiting for anyone to cherp in with a "barn find"> Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Reece This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 24 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reece wrote:
Jamie babes,your not going to 'kick ass' on a 80cc sweetheart. Mr. Green And especially not a 4t 80. Try and find a cheap DT125 or something that needs a bit of work. Sometimes it may only need a new wheel or something silly like that,but the owner just cant be bothered,so will want to get rid of it. Am i being silly,or is a 125 going to struggle pulling your 19st frame? Good luck anway. Thumbs Up

I am not 19 st , I'm 15st.

Like I have said to you on msn when you have asked me before now.
Reece This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 24 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reece wrote:
well i swear i read somewhere on bcf you mentioned you were 19st and could bench 100kg or something. Rolling Eyes my mistake. Thumbs Up good luck anyway.
EDIT: You told me you were 16st btw matey. Middle Finger

Yer, that was over a month ago.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 24 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
Reece wrote:
well i swear i read somewhere on bcf you mentioned you were 19st and could bench 100kg or something. Rolling Eyes my mistake. Thumbs Up good luck anyway.
EDIT: You told me you were 16st btw matey. Middle Finger

Yer, that was over a month ago.

Clicky

You wont be able to pick up a semi decent bike for £100 and expect it to run as sweet as.

In one breath you state that the 'classic' Ariel will be ridden and all classics should be ridden as thats what they are designed for, and in the next, you are stating that the trials bike is too good to ride and get dirty in case it gets broken.

Its an off roader,its desinged to be trown about, its meant to be treated roughly. Why waste good money after bad?

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 24 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

In one breath you state that the 'classic' Ariel will be ridden and all classics should be ridden as thats what they are designed for, and in the next, you are stating that the trials bike is too good to ride and get dirty in case it gets broken.

Its an off roader,its desinged to be trown about, its meant to be treated roughly. Why waste good money after bad?

Its not that, it's the fact that it NEEDS to work on EVERY Sunday faultlessly, riding it to often means things are bound to brake, there for if I had a cheapy bike to play about on I won't knacker my good bike.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 28 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that will wreck it is crashing it so just dont crash. I used to use my DT daily for work and offroad on weekends and ive hardly had to fix a thing. A year later and its still going apart from the starter motor but they wear anyways.

Dont abuse it and you wont crash/break things thus keeping your bike in good nick Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1