Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NEED ADVICE : Everything to do with starting Motocross

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

sammurphy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:22 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: NEED ADVICE : Everything to do with starting Motocross Reply with quote

hey , im a newbie and looking to start motocross . i dont have a bike atm but buying one soon , looking at a Honda CR 125 (any good?)

I will be getting licenses and stuff (im 16 , 17 in jan so gotta wait but gives me time to save)

wondering on prices for equipment , track days , parts if needed , everything . wondering how much people pay to do this sport?

I am looking on different sites but not found anything useful. I was gonna start up karting but found out way to much is this gonna be the same kinda thing?

Thanks if you could help ,

saM

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:52 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Re: NEED ADVICE : Everything to do with starting Motocross Reply with quote

You can do motocross fairly cheaply; I don't know the costs involved in karting.

Can you ride a bike as it is? If not, I'd get your CR125 or similar and take it to some rough ground for free or some of farms etc that charge you £5/10 to mess about on their land and get used to it.

From there, I think it's about £30-£40 for a 'track day' at an ok mx site. Tyres are around £80 a set, but you should be ok using part-worn ones if you want to be really cheap.

Servicing isn't too bad on the 125 crossers I believe; pistons and rings once or twice a year should mean not too much money for a 125. You'll need to keep it topped up with good quality 2 stroke pre-mixed which will bump up your fuel bills a bit.

Note that you won't be able to use a CR125 on the road as a learner and even if you pass your test, it still may not be legal under the restricted rules as they are very light for the power they make. You wouldn't really want to use it for any distance anyway.

sammurphy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:30 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh nice one thanks for all that ,

so how much would it costs if i wanna compete really , like prob need memberships etc..

Thanks

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:42 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, I'm afraid. Call some local clubs.

I'd expect club membership and ACU or similar membership will be about £30 each.

A copy of Trials and Motorcross News should give you plenty of information and numbers to call to ask for details.

Stelmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 24 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this site: https://adrenalintrip.extreme.com/

A beginner's guide to Motocross:
HERE

Here's a few more FAQ's:

HERE

Also, i'd recommend booking a day at https://www.yamaha-schools.co.uk/ as you'll learn the basics in one day.

sammurphy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:59 - 28 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a expensive sport to start up? but when you buy everything does it become much smoother?

Stelmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 29 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the initial high cost outlay for gear & a bike. I recommend Ebay or the local classified for cheap gear. Keep your eyes peeled for people selling Motocross Bikes along with full gear and your quids in.

After that there's just Petrol, (& 2 stroke oil if you want a 2 stroke) Track fees & Club memberships if you take it further. Servicing is quite frequent on Offroad bikes - Every race usually.

If you want to try the sport before all this then I recommend a tryout School. They teach you all the valuable need-to-know info, Give you the full kit & a bike. Usually cost around £100- £175.

https://www.yamaha-schools.co.uk/

Or

https://www.mxtryout.co.uk/

Or

https://www.wheeldontwo.co.uk/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1