Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RS50 won't turn off! Please Help!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Oh-liver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:56 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: RS50 won't turn off! Please Help! Reply with quote

Ok here it is.

Just bought a RS125 and want to sell my Aprilia 50. However a very recent problem has just developed. When I turn the ignition off all the electrics turn off but the engine still runs! You can even rev it and drive off with the ignition off!

This doesn't happen every time but is extremely annoying. Trying to sell and makes it difficult.

Whats more is the bike has just had an £1100 top to bottom engine rebuild.

One idea I had was that the spark plug is somehow acting as a glow plug? Or is this just stupid.

Is there a simple solution aside from taking it to the Aprilia garage and bending over?

Many thanks for any replies,
Oliver

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem in my old mini.

The throttle cable was stuck or sticking and wouldn't stop when the ignition was turned off.

Check for fouling wires and give them a damn good lube and see whats what.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally when a car keeps going for a bit after the key has been turned off the timing is to far advanced. and is pre igniting.
who did your bottom end rebuild??
they should have put it back together at the right timing points but mabee they havnt.
what happens when you pull the spark plug lead off when its still running with the key off??
does it stop then??
if so then its a minor electrical problem,
if it still keeps going, then your timing is out

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
normally when a car keeps going for a bit after the key has been turned off the timing is to far advanced. and is pre igniting.
who did your bottom end rebuild??
they should have put it back together at the right timing points but mabee they havnt.
what happens when you pull the spark plug lead off when its still running with the key off??
does it stop then??
if so then its a minor electrical problem,
if it still keeps going, then your timing is out

Now that you mention it, I had so many problems with the car and the points and cap were changed and played with so much Thumbs Up

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons that i DIDN'T buy the RS i was looking at, you had to stall it to stop Shocked

Evo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:53 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:

Educated with below message.

Cheers G Smile

Last edited by Evo on 22:10 - 01 Jul 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:07 - 01 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stroke spark plugs can get fouled with (I believe) carbon deposits. These heat up from the riding to the point they are hot enough to ignite the fuel/air mixture. Often called 'dieseling' because it's working in a similar manner to a diesel.

When I've seen it on an old KTM 350 Enduro it would rev fairly uncontrollably - not great on a muddy surface when it makes a fair bit of power and torque.

As mentioned, if you pull the spark plug lead and it carries on, then this is the issue. Otherwise you're looking for an electric fault somewhere.

Oh-liver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:06 - 02 Jul 2007    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

hey all thanks for your help.

I did as you said and removed the lead to the spark plug and it killed it so I know the spark plug was acting as a glo plug.

I then checked for any electrical problems and found that there was a lose lead coming out of the main inginition switch. I took it apart and found that the wires were being held with some chewing gum like glue!

Chav before I had it probably did it. So i dissolved whatever it was with white sprirt and soldered the wires in place. Now works fine.

Anyway guys thx a lot for your help, it did indeed help.

Oliver

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted , why do you think he had messed about with the wiring though? Confused

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

probaly had misplaced the key and thought he would hot wire it.

Oh-liver
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:05 - 03 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah must be
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1