Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do long distance relationships work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:17 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Do long distance relationships work? Reply with quote

Bit upset right now and don't really know what to do.
My boyfriend's father is pulling the plug on the rent of the flat and he's going to have to move back to england in a month.
We've been going out 5 months, maybe not that long to some, but we are really close and have been living together for about 4 months.
I know it sounds cheesy but he's not just my boyfriend he's one of my best friends and I don't know what it's going to be like not seeing him.
Do long distance relationships work?
I mean not seeing each other often and stuff can be quite a strain, some people say the trust goes as does the closeness.
I don't know whether to try keep it going or just have a clean break when the time comes.
I love what we have and I don't want to ruin it with jealousy or drifting apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the people, and you won't know if it will work until you try it. In my own experience, it's hard on both people. But it makes it all that more special when you do see each other.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN my personal experiance it didnt work for me but i managed to threw my fella into my house instead of him being far away and going through the hassel of calling down.

It can work if you want it to and that means both of you.Absence does make the heart grow fonder if you truely love each other. How far away is he moving in miles? not sure where you live.

can you keep up seeing him and travelling everytime you want to and can he do them same? so you trust him when your apart and likewise? ask yourself that. Is it worth going through the trouble for?

its really up to both of you at the end of the day not weither this type of relationship works, differant people differant situations.

Sephiroth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can work, although I've noticed an older generation find it easier (less temptations maybe?) than our age group.

My advice (if you want it)? Try it. Either way there's nothing you can do about it so you might as well try. Also, you both have bikes and he has some cars so you can always visit on the weekends/days off. London isn't THAT far.

Well, it is if you're on a CG with a provisional so that gives you more of a reason to get your test done!

Good luck, whatever happens.

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:37 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Fuc* me I sound emo =/. Reply with quote

It's near enough enough 300 miles away.
We did do it for a few weeks before when he had work experience in his hometown, and that was really awful.
What made it easier to deal with was that I knew he was coming back.
With this I don't know when he is coming back, if ever.
I really hate the idea of a few months down the line meeting up with him and all that closeness being gone.
I've never had this much trust or been this comfortable with someone, I don't want to lose that.
It's weird to explain but with him I feel so secure and great, he's given me so much confidence in myself and stupid as it sounds I'm scared that's all going to go when he does.
The rational part of me is saying yes I'm young this is my first love? but for the most part of me I can't be rational about it.
It hurts thinking about it, how's it going to feel when he's actually gone =/.
My girl friends wouldn't understand as none of them have had a relationship spanning more than a month.
What makes this harder I think is that he's my first proper boyfriend, yes I've had a few 'boyfriends' but I wouldn't call them relationships. Mad

Last edited by Nicky-Jano on 18:41 - 13 Jul 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your young it will hurt more especially if he is your first when your full of hopes and dreams at that stage. You are still yuong and there is more to come and sometimes hard lessons are good ones and thats what makes us tougher for the future.

300miles is alot! you will have to try it and see, if its to hard to break and you still love him maybe down the line things will change and you will feel differant and make it easier to cope with. You could meet someone else closer to when he is away.

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:47 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
Your young it will hurt more especially if he is your first when your full of hopes and dreams at that stage. You are still yuong and there is more to come and sometimes hard lessons are good ones and thats what makes us tougher for the future.

300miles is alot! you will have to try it and see, if its to hard to break and you still love him maybe down the line things will change and you will feel differant and make it easier to cope with. You could meet someone else closer to when he is away.

I never did like change =) Crying or Very sad .
I swear part of me does hate him for turning me into such a softy, used to come and go as I pleased Rolling Eyes .
Adam I always respected your advice/opinion even if I didn't follow it Razz , I don't know why you think that's changed.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:03 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he has to move away, can you move with him ?

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky-Jano wrote:
dragonfly wrote:

I never did like change =) Crying or Very sad .
I swear part of me does hate him for turning me into such a softy, used to come and go as I pleased Rolling Eyes .
Adam I always respected your advice/opinion even if I didn't follow it Razz , I don't know why you think that's changed.

Ok totally confused by that last sentance lol may have something to so with my mate being eaten by the dog and barking and me getting annyed and roaring, i kinda lost the plot after that.

meant you may feel differant as time goes on when your apart, who knows you may even want each other that much it will work and yuo will get a nice place together and then it may even go the other way where you drift apart and you meet someone else. thats what i was trying to say. No one can say how its going to turn out, its how you make it.

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be the git here then. I know it seems like it'll be death, but the relationship is only 5 months old. You will get over it after not too long if you have to.
Not that you necessarily will. Try the long distance relationship, but I have to say I wouldn't hold much hope. If you're already wondering about jealousy or drifting then odds are you will. As I say, sorry to be the git.
Last thing - I hope it does work. Really. But if you feel it going, pack it in. Don't hang on, don't waste time. Trust me, I know that one well.
Good luck.

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:09 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin: I had thought about moving but I'm not ready to live so far from home =/.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 20:24 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

it never works, kill yourself now.

Brod122
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps my GF lives in Iceland, i live in england, sometimes I wonder why I bother but then when I see/speak to her it makes it worthwhile. I have never lived close to her as you have, so I can't understand what its like sorry, but its almost the same. What will happen in the future? only a mad-man predicts, all I know, and you should to, is that you go into it with the best intentions and see what happens.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww , young love...........so hopeful so fresh , sooo cute .........

Itchy says a non commital maybe , I briefly considered dating UG , 1300 miles away in the South of France, but
even though there might have been something there it would be impossible to work it,though some obviously work it,
see Mary Jane? , she emigrated to the UK to live with her BF and strangely has become absent,

I'm with Seph , but have an extra option.

try it and see,

OR

Enjoy it now while it lasts and end it, so that you end it on a high point much like playing one less round of golf
than you intended , or one less lap of the Nurburg ring, so that you don't destroy what you have by trying to save
it.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky-Jano wrote:
... I'm not ready to live so far from home =/.

aah home is where the heart is, but I understand your reluctance as you are still young. When I was 18 I moved to Scotland to work in a hotel and lodged with a friend of mine and his father. My relationship with my then girlfriend, now my wife of 17 years, suffered a bit but we spoke on the phone almost every day. When my friend and his father had a bust up he and I returned to England and I enjoyed rekindling my relationship with my girlfriend. Admittedly we were only apart for 3 months but it's a long time for anyone. But getting to my point... even though circumstances now may feel as though things are getting worse, things can change just as quickly for the better and sometimes it's not even you that has to make the decision.

Weedy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky-Jano wrote:
Colin: I had thought about moving but I'm not ready to live so far from home =/.

If you're really sure about him being "the one" surely "home" is wherever he is? Smile

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

take note!

There's a voice that keeps on calling me
Down the road, that's where I'll always be.
Every stop I make, I make a new friend,
Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Down this road that never seems to end,
Where new adventure lies just around the bend.
So if you want to drive me for a while,
Just grab your hat, come travel light, that's hobo style.

Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down,
Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home. Mr. Green
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: im confused Reply with quote

why is his father paying the rent isnt he able to pay it himself?

ace_tweety
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:49 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first ever boyfriend stayed quite a while away and we went out for 3 years .. never lived close to him though but met up every so often. but eventually we lost contact but it was worth it for a while although i wish i had ended it a bit sooner!

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my missus lived together from the word go and it lasted almost 4 years until she moved back home. The distance wasn't that great at all, she was in Leeds and I was in Manchester but we only really saw each other at weekends. We developed our own lives during the week and then began living our old life at the weekend. It was a bit odd.

As soon as we moved away from each other we started to drift apart from each other, I started having almost two different lives, I acted as if I was single during the week and then I was in a relationship at the weekend (not on purpose, thats just the way it felt). That last about 6 months until we both realised it wasn't working.

Maintaining a relationship with any kind of distance is tough and I wouldn't recommend it.

Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nicky-Jano
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:19 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never say he's the one Razz .
I'm not even sure I believe in that kind of stuff.
I just not I feel quite a lot for him and it's going to be a hell of a wrench to see him go.
5 months may not sound like a long time on paper, but when your with one person everyday for 5 months it's a different story.
There's so much that I need to take care of, my education most importantly, I want to do a higher NVQ.
Also if I went there I'd be relying on his parents to feed me and pay for general things until I could get a job, and I'm the kind of person who hates being dependant on others =/.
I like the poem itchy Razz.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky-Jano wrote:

I like the poem itchy Razz.

poem? , tsk , you are too young to remember the TV show the littlest Hobo,

Hurrah another non dependent type person, lets have meaningless sex to celebrate Mr. Green

techierob
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:11 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, they don't. I was engaged to a girl. Circumstances drove us apart by 12000 miles. We never broke up, but she'd married an aussie last I heard. Out of sight, out of mind. You've just got to try and get over it or use it as a store of bitter resentment to fuel you continuing hatred against the entire world - whatever works best for you.
Best of luck. Hope this helps.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sephiroth wrote:
although I've noticed an older generation find it easier (less temptations maybe?) than our age group.

Patronising little shit.

What do you mean Less Temptations?
Have you seen the number of hunky bald-headed fat-bellied bearded bikers with creaking joints there are out there, just ripe for the picking (and thats just the girls)

Laughing

Trust me: its not for the lack of temptation.

Its because by the time you get older, you've put up with more shit from (usually) an assortment of increasingly peculiar Other Halves (or you've put the moves on some right old mingers in your time, when the other half hasn't been paying attention).

So then you realise you don't actually have to live with someone and put up with their shit. No matter how much you like them.

And you realise that you can live NOT with them and like them more, when you don't have to put up with their crap all the time, and can go home, and get some peace and bloody quiet.

Doesn't mean you don't wanna still shag 'em (and any other temptation that strays past your pubes) every hour of the day.

Wink

hellkat
Life in the old bitch yet

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

techierob wrote:
Out of sight, out of mind. You've just got to try and get over it or use it as a store of bitter resentment to fuel you continuing hatred against the entire world - whatever works best for you.

Bitter resentment and continuing hatred gives you ulcers, high blood pressure and wrinkles.

Not worth the aggro.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2