Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Big Trailies on Track

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Big Trailies on Track Reply with quote

I've just spent the last two days thrashing my 990 Adventure around Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire. Not the most natural environment for a trail 'bike, but it was still good fun. I was wondering if I'd have got on better riding beside the track...

Anyone else done a track day on a BTB?

https://www.gordo.eclipse.co.uk/pictures/bikes/Cadwell/cadwell_07_adventure.jpg

(In case you were wondering, I did get the front wheel off the floor over the mountain - just not when the photographer was there Sad)

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Thumbs Up

I'm aching for a big supermoto. WOuld love to spank one round somewhere like Cadwell.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:15 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Re: Big Trailies on Track Reply with quote

Unfortunately they've smoothed off the tarmac so you get much less air Thumbs Down.

Glad you had fun, but reckon you should have done it with panniers on, just to really annoy the people you went past Smile.

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:20 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Re: Big Trailies on Track Reply with quote

G wrote:
Unfortunately they've smoothed off the tarmac so you get much less air Thumbs Down.

I thought it was smoother than before... They're spoiling it now - and that "new" chicane is horrible Sad
Quote:
Glad you had fun, but reckon you should have done it with panniers on, just to really annoy the people you went past Smile.
I was in the slow group, and probably enough of a road-block without the panniers. I'm not the fastest thing on two wheels at the best of times, and knobblies on a wet track didn't help. Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a blast on my SM.

Since i dropped it years ago on a roundabout and buried it in the garage as i moved over to cars i've lost 90% of my confidence on corners / brakes.

When i was learning i used to thrash around the local roundabouts, but they're in such a poor condition and heavily policed now i'd end up in hospital / prison before i knew it.

So, is Cadwell the shortest / slowest / small bike friendly place there is to build / regain confidence.

Yes, considering a trackday on a 125SM...... Confused

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:12 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
So, is Cadwell the shortest / slowest / small bike friendly place there is to build / regain confidence.

Yes, considering a trackday on a 125SM...... Confused

Cadwell is probably the best 'bike circuit in the country. The full (mountain) circuit isn't short, and it's quite fast - especially Park Straight.

With all due respect to you, I don't think a 125 SM is really the right tool for the job - it's going to be out-paced by everything out there, and not only will it'll make things tough for you, you're not really going to enjoy it.

However, there are track 'bike hire companies out there who will lend you a fully fuelled, tyre'd etc. 'bike at the circuit of your choice for a very reasonable fee. The bonus is that if you happen to crash it, your losses are limited to the damage deposit (and a friend of mine has now written off two hire 'bikes...!).

These guys were lending 'bikes out to people at the day I was at.

HTH Smile

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i wanted a plastic covered generic heap of Japanese metal i'd buy one.

I'll never buy one, so there's even less chance of me hiring one!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Thinking i might just go back to trail bikes and bum around on the limited green lanes around here.

Main thing i'm looking for is relearning what a bike can do without having the local police pulling me over.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:21 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen MZs go around there in trackdays - probably got less power than the Cagiva could have, however do have racers of various experience on board.
Gaz did Snetterton (faster circuit) on his un tuned mz and still had lots of fun.

Saying all that, I would choose a smaller circuit, definitely if you want to regain confidence in your bike. Maybe a novice-only day or similar?
Mallory, lydden, pembrey are worth a look. Brands Indy is surprisingly fast, although people presume it's slow.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:26 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you are after a small tight track then there are some bike track days at 3 Sisters near Wigan.

All the best

Keith

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:37 - 14 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for getting the front wheel up, the photographer did catch it: https://gallery.jackstringer.co.uk/p43162360.html

(Yes, I know, it's a pathetically feeble wheelie, but still...)

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

big enough to get a sheet of paper underneath tho, so it does count

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many air miles did you get for that wheelie? Shocked Shocked

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

If you are after a small tight track then there are some bike track days at 3 Sisters near Wigan.

All the best

Keith

Heard from some locals this track isn't fit for minimotos, let alone bikes, have you been Keith? I was thinking of going but got put off.

T

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:37 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not been there for a while. It is / was a popular track with supermoto riders. Surface was pretty good, but it was a tight track.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1