Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Offroader for under ?1k?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:01 - 31 Jul 2007    Post subject: Offroader for under £1k? Reply with quote

Looking to maybe get a road legal offroader for under £1k.

Only for a bit of greenlaning and some n00b motorcross stuff, must be road legal.

Looking to get something not too pokey - a 250 will do fine. Something like an XR250 but they seem to be a bit on the pricey side.

So was thinking maybe a 2t 250? Bit more poke but less reliability. Then again cheaper to fix when they go pop, more fun and will give me a chance to learn a bit more on the mechanical side of things.

Anyone recommend anything?

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 31 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rule out 125's.

DT125R's can be picked up for that money and they're putting out low twentys as opposed to the high twentys of a xr250.

The 250's 2Ts hold their value really well. You'd be lucky to pick up a working crm for that price. Some rmx's will sell for that though. You'd be looking at a kdx220, but tidy ones of them are snapped up quick.

In summary, look at 125's or 400's if you're after a budget bike as 250's are expensive for what they are.

Bikes to look at -

CRM250 mk1 / mk2 - AR's are far too expensive
RMX250
KDX220

DT125(R)
KDX125

Yam 250/225
Honda 250

KLX250 / 300
Umm, pick up a copy of "trail bike magazine (TBM)" to see whats on offer.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:34 - 31 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR250 for under a grand should be fairly easy. I got mine for £900 and something, '94 model. Korn paid similar for his and it came with spare wheels and other assorted spares so very good for the money. Probably won't be one newer than '99/'00 for under a grand but the nineties ones and late eighties ones are still good.

Keep looking around basically. Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:00 - 31 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to easily get a 'proper' 2 stroke enduro bike from the late 90s for under £1k.

They're not going to be as polished as the more recent examples, but should be fine. If you're lucky a bit later KTM EXC or GAS GAS EC might come up in this price range

They're going to be a bit more trouble than an xr250 or similiar, but will offer more; lighter with more power.
You don't really need more than an XR offers for lanes, however the extra power does make life easier. However, as I found it also means you try to take stuff faster - a blip of the throttle sees the front floating which can help in a lot of situations - not always good when you try and do a quite 'technical' bit a bit too fast Embarassed.

The proper enduro bikes are going to be better for mx style stuff and are generally cheaper than the more road going variants for a similar age and condition. I definitely think the CRM and KMX are generally over priced for off road use.
Definitely not for the sort of daily abuse an xr can handle, however.

I think Luke's selling his RMX and having ridden it, it seemed pretty nice - very un-2 stroke like wide power band - if a bit hard to start. A lot more refined than the 87 KTM 350 Enduro (2 stroke) I was riding at the time; even that was fine, though it didn't have MOT when I got it, it only cost me £350 and did me fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 244 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1