Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tip on raising the idle speed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Tip on raising the idle speed Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I don't know the exact ins and outs but one thing that I have noticed benefits me a lot on my SZR660 and my SV650 is setting the idle speed a lot higher than stock. I'd like to share this theory with the forum.

I run these bikes at 2,250rpm and 2,600rpm respectively.

I find this makes a massive difference to rideability - On the SV, changing down into first or second for a junction or tight roundabout used to require absolutely sublime throttle control and even then it was a jerky, off-putting afair most of the time. If an unexpected event induced a downshift you had better be on your toes or else it's pogo time.

With the idle speed raised you can bang down into first or second approaching a junction and pretty much let the clutch drop - The higher idle speed means the new gear engages practically without being noticed and feels surreal at first, but is very pleasant.

Changing gears in both directions feels smoother and there is far less play in the transmission.

This avoids sudden distractions and unsettled suspension.

In my oppinion definately worth trying - Just to see if you like it.

On most bikes there is a philips screw on the left hand side of the engine somewhere which changes the idle.

Thumbs Up

Be aware of the obvious downside being rapid heating when stationary, but I've never found it to be a problem.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus it'll use a tad more petrol...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:07 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also like raising the idle speed of my bike

it makes it much smoother and easier to ride

with mine, i do it, by adjusting the throttle barrel adjuster

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine runs at that speed on choke when cold anyway so it doesn't make a difference to startup running.

Fuel economy is unlikely to be affected as the amount of time you spend at idle speed is very small and with the difference will be almost immeasurable. Obviously once you open the throttle it makes no difference what the idle speed was.

The noise factor can be annoying but I run standard exhausts so it isn't too bad.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own but I'm perfectly happy with mine at the standard setting. Besides manufacturers wouldn't have a standard setting if there wasn't a benefit from it being at that particular level surely?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've set mine to lower than the manufacturer's default, mainly because it sounds better on tickover!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it... Seriously, it makes certain things a lot smoother.

...Besides, GP bikes run like 3,000rpm tick-overs... As do 98 R1's.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason for high idle speeds on race engines is usually high lift/long duration cams that will only run at xrpm and will produce power at x10 rpm.
a low reving twin will have nothing to gaian from a high idle .
apart from if the rider cant adjust his/her revs for downshifts or is an idiot and stalls all the time trying to get moving.
98r1 idle is less than 1000rpm.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:13 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: Tip on raising the idle speed Reply with quote

I ran my race sv650 with a 3500rpm idle speed or so (yes, that's over 1/3rd revs!)

However, I've never really seen the need on the road.
On track you are changing down under very hard braking, so it takes a bit of concentration to get a blip perfect, so this helps stop the rear wheel skipping.

On the road I just make sure I blip the throttle appropriately and never really had a problem - it is something you do have to think about a bit if you're not used to doing it, however.

Also, the slower idle speeds lets you get it sliding more easily for bits of little backing-it-in style fun if you so desire Smile.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:20 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
with mine, i do it, by adjusting the throttle barrel adjuster

Doing that means you have removed any free play from the cable, which is likely to cause the idle to go up / down when you move the bars.

All the best

Keith

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 03 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, I would trust your oppinion on the subject so can I ask what modifications or findings you made when racing the SV in Minitwin?

I ask as I'm going to be prepping one for it over the winter (probably not the one this thread is about).

My basic plan was just the obvious stuff - new shock, new fork springs, drop the forks and raise the idle speed and pegs... It's the not so obvious tips and tidbits I'm on the lookout for.

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive raised mine abit and also find it more friendly in stop start conditions as well.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:41 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:

My basic plan was just the obvious stuff - new shock, new fork springs, drop the forks and raise the idle speed and pegs... It's the not so obvious tips and tidbits I'm on the lookout for.

That seems to be the basic stuff you need for a road/track SV (rather than dedicated track bike).

Of course you want to make sure the suspension is set up decently for you.

There are some good and some not so good crash bungs for the SV. Unfortunately I don't know who made the very good ones on the race SV luke now has - they're still doing ok after 8 crashes by me and quite a few more by luke as well as some by the previous owner.
Much, much better than the R&G ones I had on the other SV.

Most of the other modifications done were general race ones - ie taking bits off and securing other bits in different places etc.

Race-style clip-ons might be worth a look as they offer a little more adjustability and should be a fair bit less to replace the tubes if you do drop it. If I remember, the SV clipons are above the yokes as standard, a lot of people would put them below to get a bit more weight over the front.

A quick action throttle is definitely worth while. I'd recommended the venhill one, for good price and a good performance.
This only uses a single throttle cable, but this also slightly helps prevent engine braking, as when the throttle is closed, the carb returns at it's own rate, rather than you actually pulling it closed.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that g, useful note on the throttle grip, bungs and clipons.

If you find out what kind of bungs were on that bike let me know!

Cheers.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it... Seriously, it makes certain things a lot smoother.

...Besides, GP bikes run like 3,000rpm tick-overs... As do 98 R1's.

GP bikes don't have to perform emergency stops that often.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:50 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bet they brake a lot harder before a corner than most people do on an emergency stop

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
i bet they brake a lot harder before a corner than most people do on an emergency stop

But they're also on a racetrack, with slicks, Colin.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:55 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Apart from actually coming to a stop, every braking action a GP bike does is probably a fair bit more intense than your average road-emergency stop.

With an increased idle speed you'd merely have to pull the clutch in a bit sooner when coming to a stop - isn't a big problem.

However that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea Smile.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Toby R wrote:

Apart from actually coming to a stop, every braking action a GP bike does is probably a fair bit more intense than your average road-emergency stop.

With an increased idle speed you'd merely have to pull the clutch in a bit sooner when coming to a stop - isn't a big problem.

However that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea Smile.

Well that's the point isn't it, braking efficiency is reduced when the bike is coasting (With the clutch pulled in)

In order to stop as quickly as possible you need to pull the clutch in at the last possible moment, or let the engine stall.

Running at a higher idle will dramatically effect braking distances as the rear wheel will still be driven, fighting the brakes essentially.

As you know, singles and twins have good bottom end power, which makes this more dangerous.

Taking drive from the rear wheel early in bad weather too can also encourage a loss of traction

It seems downright dangerous to me, but I'm not bothered, it's not my bike, it's not my potential accident.
T

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:09 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Well that's the point isn't it, braking efficiency is reduced when the bike is coasting (With the clutch pulled in)

Well this is often taught in CBTs, this shouldn't be the case if you're braking properly in good conditions.

You should be braking with the front enough that the rear is only /just/ in contact with the ground. At this point, the rear is not going to be able to offer any useful braking effect.

Knocking down the gears while braking hard can see the rear skipping which destabilises the bike and could potentially cause an accident. So this mod could be seen as improving safety - this is around the reason it's done on race bikes where you regularly brake very hard.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need for a high idle except on race bikes. High lift cams and pure race exhaust ystems which will only run in a certain rev range require a high idle as do engines with massively lightened cranks which tend to be quite rare these days due to traction issues.

Anyone who needs to raise the idle so they can change gear smoothly needs to go back to a training school for further teaching.

Anyone who takes the slack out of their throttle cable to raise the idle is not only being very silly in that as Keith says the position of the bars will adjust the idle they are also rendering their bike un-MOT able.

As Toby says you are also reducing your braking efficiency as the engine is running faster and will fight the brakes.

This is possibly one of the stupidest most dangerous threads I have EVER seen on BCF except for the last few times its been suggested.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:29 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

This is possibly one of the stupidest most dangerous threads I have EVER seen on BCF except for the last few times its been suggested.

I agree.

What happens if you're in gear at the front of a set of lights, with your hand on the clutch and someone hits you up the back?

Your bike (and potentially you too) could go flying forward into the path of who knows what?

A friend of mine was almost killed because he jumped a red light. A lorry came across the junction and completely crushed his car. He had to be cut out.

Imagine that happening to you on a bike, and you'll understand what I mean.

With a normal idle speed, the engine will usually die, especially if you've got your foot on the rear brake. At 3000rpm on a 600 or 650 twin, I'm not so sure that would work, especially if you come off the brake (after being hit up the back for example).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:36 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got hit from behind I expect the biggest acceleration will be from whatever hit you I expect.
Brakes should still be fine for stalling the engine - definitely are on a tuned downgeared SV.
If you've lost control from both the rear and front brake, I expect the idle speed will be the least of your worries.

I don't see this mod should be dangerous particularly and may make some manoeuvres slightly safer, however I really don't see the point on the road as it's easy enough to get used to blipping the throttle appropriately instead.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 04 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I don't see this mod should be dangerous particularly and may make some manoeuvres slightly safer...

How?

Are YOU willing to take responsibility for people raising their idle and having accidents?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3