Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decent trail bike mirror reccomendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Sep 2007    Post subject: Decent trail bike mirror reccomendations? Reply with quote

The mirrors on my 404 are as poor as I expected they would be.

Can anyone recommend any decent ones?
I was wondering about the style that have a fairly wide-angled mirror mounted directly on the handle bar. Does anyone know where to get these?

I have ridden plenty of bikes in the past fine without mirrors, however for various reasons I think they’d be quite useful now.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 10 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motrax bar end mirror(s)? £30-35...

I've had them fitted to supermotos and nakeds and really do like them - the sacrifice of having them stick out a bit (meaning you're a bit wider) is more than made up by the superb view - I only fit the right hand mirror these days and can see everything behind me including my tail unit! They can fit into and around 7/8 bars.

[They can 'blur' under heavy acceleration but many bike mirrors suffer from that...if you were to get them be sure to remove the mirrors and put some silicon behind it, they're known to vibrate out]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:32 - 10 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put GPz305 mirrors on my MZ Baghira. They are rectangular ones that mount on the bars and had a good, wide field of view. They also have reasonably short stems and so remain inboard of the bar-ends meaning they don't hit the ground if you drop the bike.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/Glentrool_2005_15.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
They can fit into and around 7/8 bars.

When you say around, could they be fitted inside the grips instead?

I never liked the look of bar end mirrors, but that doesn't bother me that much.
Definitely wouldn't be very good off roading sticking out the side, but should be fine on the road.

Stinkwheel - ones I have at the moment are similar dimensions, but too light and don't have enough adjustment. Those do seem to have a weighted bit lower down which should help damp vibrations.
I had similar on my original KLR650 mirror and it seemed to work much better than cheap aftermarket ones.

I presume the ones on the CCM, if they're original, were chosen for weight especially as it's the 'enduro' version (119kg claimed dry weight is pretty decent for what it is).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:15 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Stinkwheel - ones I have at the moment are similar dimensions, but too light and don't have enough adjustment. Those do seem to have a weighted bit lower down which should help damp vibrations.
I had similar on my original KLR650 mirror and it seemed to work much better than cheap aftermarket ones.

They were pretty solid items it must be said, they had a dirty great threaded lump at the base where they screw into the clamps and the balljoint meant you could point them pretty much anywhere you wanted.

There is also the plus point that GPz305s generally blew up WAY before the owner had time to crash them so there should be loads of good mirrors floating about in breakers yards.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:41 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very much like my KLR mirror.

I had wondered about making a weighted block with a thread to screw the mirrors in that would bolt into the normal thread for the mirror.

Idea is to damp out vibrations.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 13 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
byke95 wrote:
They can fit into and around 7/8 bars.

When you say around, could they be fitted inside the grips instead?

No underneath the grips as such...they can either be used as the bar end (the mirrors come clamped to an attachment that slides into the handlebar, much the same as other bar ends) or (by removing 'attachment') clamped to another bar end e.g. renthal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:45 - 13 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ta.

I ended up getting a Zefal Spy Mirror which is doing the job quite well, so far.

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 13 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, and much less than the likes of Motrax and Oberon. Does it suffer from much vibration under acceleration?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unbreakable chromo-plastic construction.

That's quite a rash statement in my oppinion.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1