Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PROJECT: Spank the Monkey ***On the road but not happy***

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 26 Sep 2007    Post subject: PROJECT: Spank the Monkey ***On the road but not happy*** Reply with quote

I have to say that I really enjoyed the dismantling and putting back of the FZR, its a shame that it was a shit heap to start with and I just couldn't be arsed to do it properly due to time, impatience and the fact that I just wanted to ride the bike.

I have yet to pluck up the courage to look at the ZX as its too good for me to ruin by being heavy handed, but I do need do the odd little thing, if not to check and replace but for maintance and the dreaded 'C' word....cleaning.

The Monkey on the other hand is another kettle of fish.

The bike has been kept outside in all weathers, ragged and abused ever since it was unpacked from the crate last December. I have not looked after it and certainly not followed any breaking the engine in rules Laughing yet it has never let me down.

It is therefore due for a damn good once over and maybe replacement for some nice little shiny bits. This of course will be nothing like some other peoples bikes Wink but looking at the parts available, it can look good!

It started with me being bored at work and flicking through the net and the seed was set.

Got home at 4pm got changed and started!

The bike had been standing for a week or 2 as been on the ZX or in the car and the battery was a little weak to say the least so the kickstart to the rescue. A little choke, first kick and vroooooom!

With the bike now in the back garden some photo whoring begins as the 'before'* shots.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/gorilla_st110_001_116.jpg

In no real particular order the dismantling began, and was only stopped by the fact that I had to start cooking dinner Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8190020.jpg

The bike as its stands, and with not too much work in the next day or so should get it to the bare frame.

This will be a thread that will put the whole Chinese bikes are crap into perspective Praying.

The frame is in very good nick and surprised me how 'new' it looks with the tank and seat removed. The stanchions need a little rub down as like some of the engine casings are steel and have some rust spotting.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8190021.jpg

The wheels are steel rims (8 x 3.5)and apart from the odd bit of rust around the valve are in good shape. I do want some decent rubber on them rather than these knobblies so will have a go with a tyre iron. They could do with a lick of paint I suppose, or maybe some new wider ones?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8190022.jpg

The mahoosive 107cc lump that puts out in the range of 80 odd horses (per ton that is :lol). Never craked an engine, but may do as its so little and will be interesting to see all the gubbings that make all that power. The carb could do with a little service, again just to make sure that all is well, could of course try and fit that NOS kit that I bought last year Laughing

There is some slight rust on the engine, only on the cast iron, but to be frank considering the abuse it has had its nothing.

I would say looking good aint it, but pics are a bit blurry Laughing

*My son in his wisdom as a 4 year old, thought it would be fun to start taking his own pictures, but in doing so he deleted the ones that I took and left greasy finger prints over the lens.
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Whosthedaddy on 16:09 - 25 Oct 2007; edited 3 times in total

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 26 Sep 2007    Post subject: Re: PROJECT: Spank the Monkey Reply with quote

Looks in great nick actually for a chinese cheapo Laughing

Almost wish I had one Thinking

But anyways, whats planned? Loud exhaust? "Sports" rubber? Green powerband? Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rental style handlebars, headlamp with cowling / flyscreen, mud guards, exhaust of some description (too many to choose from), maybe a longer swingarm with new shocks, different rear end, new hand controls, new sprocket and chain, new mirrors, different footpegs....

There are some little shiny bits for the engine as well Laughing

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why I try and do bits of work at the times of day I do Rolling Eyes

I had an hour or 2 before work and started again with the dismantling, was going great guns only to be told by my wife that it was 11.35 and I had to be at work at 12 noon and there were bits everywhere and I was a state Laughing

After some crippling back ache bending over the bike was left in this condition. I must admit not the best on the side stand and foot peg, but a secure position none the least.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8210033.jpg

It will be fun come the reassemble as the order in which you have to take things off to get to others is a little bizarre to say the least.

The rear drum brake is quite loose in the rear hub, but soon bites when the lever is pressed. Not sure how tight it should be, as all I know is that the drum on a car is a bitch to get off, so may need to adjust them. The shoes have plenty of life in them. This is of course due to the fact that I rarely use the rear brake Laughing

The chain was an split link and with the help of a screwdriver the soft metal was bent and the chain broken. I have my eye on a +14cm swing arm with mono shock conversion, so will have to have a new longer chain obviously, but until I see both sprockets it will wait.

Not sure on the idea of changing the sprocket sizes as it pulls to top speed Embarassed quite quick and I don't want to go slower than the 45mph ish max speed, but the gears are quite short Thinking

A few minutes before dinner today i had another quick go. As it was raining outside, I carried it to the shed and the front end was soon off and all but a few cables hold the engine to the frame. The only thing I don't want to do is muck about with the routing of the wringing loom, but I have so far, so might as well just pull everything off Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8210035.jpg

Everyone and their dog moans about the rust and fall apart nature of the Chinese bikes and the worst that this has rusted is on the down pipe, but then again, who's doesn't. The carbon deposits are quite sooty in the header and have yet to remove and check the plug as I suspect it may be running a little rich.

We now have a shed full of bits and bobs.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8210036.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8210039.jpg

Its always makes me smile when I look at how small the carb is Laughing It'd be cool if they did a manifold that could house 2 and run twin carbs, what a gus guzzler that'd be.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8210042.jpg

When everything is separate and broken down I will be in a better position to search the net for replacement parts as they aren't exactly standard, but www.monkeybike.co.uk stock most things.

With a little luck, my weeks annual leave next week should be filled with cleaning and tinkering of both monkey and ZX7R.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 28 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance!

Jack has mentioned many a time about how a monkey frame can accommodate a TZR engine and I have finally found a piccy. Low and behold its even in my bike Laughing

Now where are those engines on eBay Drooling

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card came out today and in the next few days I should have some nice new shiny parts Thumbs Up

Theres quite a few other little bits and pieces that will be replaced in time but will start with a new exhaust system and swing arm.

https://www.ooracing.com/store/images/uploads/OVAL_SYSTEM_LOGO.JPG

Hopefully the bike wont sound like a someone farting in the bath now and you never know, maybe add a hp or half when coupled with the new race filter.

The thing that should make the bike stand out a mile is the new swingarm. The current one has twin shocks, the new one has a single mono shock and is stretched by 14cm. Of course a new chain is to follow as soon as I figure out how many links are needed Laughing

https://www.ooracing.com/store/images/uploads/MONO_SHOCK.JPG

The bike is completely broken down now and the cyclinder head would have been removed for a little look but is a Tut Tut without removing the cam chain. I don't mind mucking about with bits and bobs but not adjusting the timing and all that TDC Rolling Eyes

The valve covers, panels and cam chain cover are all off and been rubbed down ready for some paint. I was toying with the idea of maybe some after market ones but lets see what they look like painted (then maybe some adonised ones Laughing).

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 16:45 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I really want to see this completed.

Just for the stretched swing arm Thumbs Up Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 16:59 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a Monkey Bike, could strip it down and work on it indoors. The mods you can do to them are pretty cool too.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
I'd love a Monkey Bike, could strip it down and work on it indoors. The mods you can do to them are pretty cool too.

Thumbs Up

Had the carb on the dining table today and stunk the place out with the whiff of petrol, didn't go down to well with the wife, but it was cold in the shed Laughing

JakeyR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking cool!

I really want a Gorilla, i've got 2 Dax's but i think the Gorillas look ace with the fat tank and chunky tyres

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeSM50 wrote:
i think the Gorillas look ace with the fat tank and chunky tyres

I loved the shape of the tank, looks like a bobber style peanut tank, of course some ape hangers would be right at home and suit the styling, but I'd much prefer some low risers or maybe some clip ons (if could find some), so will wait till the exhaust and swingarm are in place and then go from there.

May have to forgo the rear mudguard too as the mono shock will be going straight through the middle, maybe a rear hugger instead. Again will wait and stand back to think.

JakeyR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look better without the rear mudguard IMHO. Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
craigs23 wrote:

Thumbs Up

Had the carb on the dining table today and stunk the place out with the whiff of petrol, didn't go down to well with the wife, but it was cold in the shed Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8240007.jpg

With the carb in pieces it's a nice little 'anatomical' guide as to whats what. I find looking at those split diagrams quite confusing at times especially if poor quality, but removing the various screws it makes sense as to what does what. I did of course not touch the mixture screw as I want the thing to start again as before the strip. I did have 20 or so minutes of head scratching as a small spring had shot out from the needle and for love nor money couldn't figure out how it went in and still allowed the throttle cable to work Laughing

The air cleaner was minging so a nice conical K&N style filter is on its way.

The weather is pants again and I felt the urge to sit outside and get to grips with the grot and grime, so off to Halfords for some of this...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8250019.jpg

3 for 2 on all Autoglym products. They didn't have any motorcycle cleaner but some water based degreaser and some polish was good enough for me.

After the first few pieces I got a little fed up with the drizzle so retired back to the shed only to bring the clean pieces into the house for a polish. The wife didn't bat an eyelid, god its good to have a missus thats easy going Wink

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8250022.jpg

The small amount of corrosion on the stancions was quite easily rubbed away with a finger nail after it had been polished. There are quite a few little dents and digs in the metal, but this is from the bottom yoke and not necessarily in the line of travel when compressed.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8250023.jpg

I would have split the rims and separated them for ease of cleaning, but after scarping my knuckles and fingers god knows how many times I gave up.

The frame has been cleaned and after it got blasted by the hose, its dripping in the shed. The loom will need a little squirt of WD40 or a smidge of copper grease before reassembly.

The last job to do is the engine Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8240006.jpg

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:13 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun little bike.

Ever taken it off road seeing as it has knobblies?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went over some mud once and the rear squirmed all over the place so maybe not a hard core pit bike Laughing

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 16:58 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoglym is some of the best stuff going Thumbs Up

Now I know you want some renthals but what would it look like with some drag bars ?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Autoglym is some of the best stuff going Thumbs Up

Now I know you want some renthals but what would it look like with some drag bars ?

I was originally gonna get some Muck Off when I set out this morning but changed my mind. However, in Halfords they keep their Muck Off with the mountain bikes and such like, and I did check out some of the handlebars thinking that maybe they would fit in the clamps and give a different look.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles has the bike done mate ?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
How many miles has the bike done mate ?

1100km so nigh on 600.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 03 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was last of the big jobs today, drain the oil.

Now before looking at the picture, I have never really checked the oil level despite having a dip stick and a slight leak from the sump plug. The leak was a few drips when back from a ride and none overnight, some days it would be worse than others. I suspect it may have been going on for some time judging by the amount of oil that drained out Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8260002.jpg

And there was me thinking that a small 1litre bottle of oil wouldn't be enough Rolling Eyes. The oil was dark brown not black and smelt of oil so maybe the whole not breaking the engine in was ok Shifty Laughing

Once it had dripped dried the engine was next in line to be cleaned and its come up quite good.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8260004.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8260007.jpg

And finally, the rebuild has begun.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8260005.jpg

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you should mess with the gearing.

Power wheelies for the win Wink

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 04 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8270003_207.jpg

I am getting sick and tired of having to do things twice or even three times. Put something together only to realise that its the wrong way round or that the wiring is routed over and not under Mad Thank christ I copper greased and not locktighted Laughing

No postman today, so maybe tomorrow. Oh well, at least I can get to grips with this Shocked

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p8270007_116.jpg

I am of course going to have to clean the bike as a whole as the amount of greasy finger prints is just not funny after the effort to clean them in the first place.

Autoglym to the rescue!!!

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 09:19 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3 for 2 on all Autoglym products.

"O-Rly" Thinking

Bike's looking good. Wish I had the space to strip one down that far. Hmmmm, maybe I should invest in something smaller/lighter..............RS250?

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
No postman today, so maybe tomorrow.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7029228.stm

Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 05 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
No postman today, so maybe tomorrow.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7029228.stm

Thumbs Up

Great Rolling Eyes

My dad is a postman and mentioned last week that there was to be a strike and it completely skipped my mind.

It wont be back on the road even when the rear is back on as I need a new extended chain, how long, god knows will have to drop them a bell when its all together.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3