it250 will it fit in a 125 honda cg/clone frame

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:23 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon261 wrote:
I have found some very basic information about there being several different changes over the years to the single cylinder Honda CB125.
one-piece cylinder head, two-piece cylinder head etc..

Not surprising as there are a load of different bikes using that engine and several different models of CB125 single with the OHC engine (CB125S, CB125J, CB125X, CB125RS), as well as the XL125 variations, and add to that the different capacity versions (CB100N or XL185 for example).

Spoon261 wrote:
If your argument is correct, you should also say the Honda CG125 has had several totally different engines and should have been renamed.

You miss my point entirely. All I am saying is that the difference between the CG125 and CB125 engines is more than just a minor change for the valve gear. Chances are that between the different versions of CB125 engine you could, for example, swap the heads with little effort. To do that from a CB to a CG engine you would need to swap just about everything (and swapping the complete engine would probably be the easiest thing to do).

Spoon261 wrote:
One thing I do no, all of this argument is totally irrelevant to my website page, it was about increasing the engine size of the Honda CG125.

My issue is with the wording that "As mentioned before the Honda CG125 engine is a slightly modified Honda CB125 engine.", when it is a very major change. Although it has to be said far more accurate than the random comments people come out with about the CBR125 engine just being a CG engine.

As to increasing the capacity you couldn't just bolt on a 150cc top end from a OHC engine onto the bottom end of the OHV engine. You might be able to use the piston and bore out the barrel on the OHV engine to accept it, but boring the barrel out by ~5mm is a fairly hefty amount. There used to be a Malossi big bore kit with a replacement barrel available for the XL125 to take it out to 59.5 (only 137cc), but only the replacement head gasket seems to be available now.

Treat a CB with the servicing that a CG is meant to take and you will wreck it rapidly (and in the 70s CB125S this was pretty common even with fairly normal servicing).

All the best

Keith

Spoon261
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart, Halo123 is right, its time to stop this topic, its getting us no ware.

I have had to defend my website, since anyone using a search engine to find information about the honda cg125 is likely to be sent to this topic on bike chat forums.

I also notice you are not reading the other webpages, your last post about not boring out to 150cc is already mentioned in great detail on the subsequent pages How to increase engine size and the website it refers to.

I would also like to point out to other readers of this topic, kickstart has had plenty of times to help with the content of my Honda CG125 website and never has.

I have slightly changed my webpage so it reads slightly differently, but the end result is the same for anyone wanting to increase their engine size.

This is my final signing off, I will not be responding to any more posts on bike chat forums, since I do not want another argument like this one.

My website is open to constructive criticism and any new information, but not nit picking over every single word.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:38 - 06 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon261 wrote:
Kickstart, Halo123 is right, its time to stop this topic, its getting us no ware.

It has got us somewhere as you have amended your web site so that it no longer reads that the CG engine is a very lightly modified CB.

Thankyou.

Spoon261 wrote:
I have had to defend my website, since anyone using a search engine to find information about the honda cg125 is likely to be sent to this topic on bike chat forums.

Fine to defend it when it is correct, but when you have something on there that gives a very wrong impression it is best to correct it as you have done. Otherwise be prepared for some kid to be very angry when they buy a load of CB125 bits for their CG engine and find they won't fit.

Spoon261 wrote:
My website is open to constructive criticism and any new information, but not nit picking over every single word.

I would rather you didn't disappear. Correcting a major flaw is not nit picking over every single word.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2