Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trail Riding Wales. Another thumbs up! And abit of a story..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 13 Nov 2007    Post subject: Trail Riding Wales. Another thumbs up! And abit of a story.. Reply with quote

https://www.trailrides-wales.com/

Even after me and R4nger took four weeks off to tour round 7 European countries earlier this year. Some how we still had holiday to use. We saw the review on bcf and decided to give it a shot.

We had it booked for Wed and Thurs but also booked B&B for Tuesday night. We did this so we could be nearby in the morning rather than riding all the way to Wales Wed morning.

Unfortunately I came off my bike Sunday morning through a massive tank slapper. I soon realised I broke my finger/knuckle and crippled my left leg abit. The bike had destroyed it's clutch as the cover had gone into the clutch ripping the springs/threads out.

I really didn't want to miss out on the trail riding, so Monday morning I ordered all the bits I needed to get the bike working from Ducati (Moto rapido) on special delievery. Oh.. and later on the day I got hassled into going to hospital to get x-rays and general waiting around A&E.

Tuesday morning. Parts arrived so I got to work on replacing clutch hub, springs, cups, pressure plate, throttle assembly etc. I could only use one hand at this time so took me ages. The time I'd finished was pretty much when we had to leave for Wales. Packed my topbox and off we set 200 odd miles to Wales. It was dam cold and most of my gear had holes in it from the crash Rolling Eyes.

The first B&B (only £20) the owner was a fruitcake but owned the pub nextdoor and insisted we came over, we stayed after closing hours playing pool compitions with the staff. Was great fun... who said Welish people were unfriendly?

The trail riding
We met up with Marianne who really doesn't look like the type of offroading person we had in mind. The bikes to choose from were husqvarna's, and a gasgas on the first day. But on the 2nd day due to bikes problems we used DR400, Serow, husqvarna.
I started on the gasgas as it was easy on my leg and finger as the husqvarna's were quite tall bikes. I used it for all of 10mins to notice the front engine mount was a little loose but didn't put me off as it was very light and easy to use.

The first tracks you go on are fairly easy, she goes over basic things like how to position your body, use of brakes on different surfaces just things you dont normally get taught.
Everytime you come to technical climb or the first river/stream crossing for she'll stop and explain the best route to take how much power what kind of gear she would recommend etc.
After the day progresses she stops less and less and only really stops for the very hard bits and boy were there some hard bits Thumbs Up . The 2nd day was good and begginning to get the hang of it all not even scared of the really hard rocky climbs.

R4nger seemed to fall off the most and made us laugh the most because he just gunned it everywhere. I had to take my time abit because I really didnt want to fall on my bad hand or leg so only crashed once which was quite a bad one to Rolling Eyes .

Didn't get any pictures of the really hard climbs or trails was busy having to much fun...
https://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4641/08112007068aa2.th.jpg

https://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9528/08112007070dv5.th.jpg

https://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1307/08112007072jj1.th.jpg

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:13 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out with them, and they certainly know the routes and can give advice on the different surfaces. Lots of variety there too.

In two weeks time I'm supposed to be going back, but as my car broke yesterday I won't be going as I need to tow my 'bike there...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Smile

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 18 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man bet that sucks. Thought i was going to miss it but managed to fix bike in time for it. You going to rebook?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:25 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Gordo wrote:

In two weeks time I'm supposed to be going back, but as my car broke yesterday I won't be going as I need to tow my 'bike there...

Find car in your local free ads with a bit of MOT left and a towbar for £150 then sell it after? Smile

KTM Gordo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:25 - 19 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to be going as part of a group, and they're all still going.

It's not a major car failure, but because I have an unusual variant of an unusual car, it takes a bit of time to get the right part. And I need the weekend to get it sorted.

Suppose I could take the big 'bike and just ride there:

https://www.gordo.eclipse.co.uk/pictures/bikes/ktm/IoM_Portrait_1.jpg

KTM 990 Adventure | KTM EXC 250 Racing | Land Rover Freelander SE Td4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 26 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Thumbs Up

I went in September and i'm going back next year sometime. Might even make it a week holiday and go on the ER5 next summer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1