Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

hard to start my crf450 advice for a newbie please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

simmo490
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:15 - 15 Nov 2007    Post subject: hard to start my crf450 advice for a newbie please Reply with quote

just got rid of my yamaha raptor 660 to buy a crf450, the last bike i had was years ago and was a cr250.

i find it is hard to start hot or cold, i dont think its anything wrong with the bike i think i need technique.

when and how do i use the hot start leaver?

its got a red needle on the bottom of the carb with numbers on that does the fuel mixture i assume?

also there is a screw on the side that i can screw with ma thumb (but havnt)

also when i first ever started the bike the exhaust header glowed read for a few minuts then went, by the way its a 2005

cheers, simmo

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:11 - 15 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, haven't had a CRF but its probably the same...

exhaust glowing red, no problem don't worry bout it (just don't touch it Wink )

The "hot start lever" is not a hot start lever... its a decompression lever..

the red needle is the hot start... you can use it when the bike has been running, i.e you stall/fall off and need to restart, the hot start makes it easier to start just don't forget to push it back in once the bike is running.

The screw is probably the idle, no need to touch it unless the idle needs adjusting.

There should be another needle probably black around the carb which will be the choke, use that for starting if its particularily cold, again don't forget to push it back in after its running properly.

I can start a tuned WR426 almost every time from hot or cold wearing trainers (yes I wear trainers when stunt riding it Razz)

I get the kickstart to TDC (where it goes up then when you push down you'll feel some resistance, if that makes sense.... I personally pull the decompression lever in, this gets rid of the compression obviously so the kickstart will go down easy.. I pump it 1/2 times then as I get back to TDC let the decomp out and give it a good kick.

Im really shit at descirbing things, I hope that makes sense.. it works for me as I say, 426, ktm 300.. ktm 450, ktm 525 and a wr400 all kick start no problems and I'm only short Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1