Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Back Protectors ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

calum17
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:39 - 21 Nov 2007    Post subject: Back Protectors ... Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a back protector soon, gunna try on a few at the NEC show thursday to get an idea o sizes and what i do/dont like. but are there any that you do/dont recommend?
i am thinking about getting the knox one as it fits to the aeropack (backpack) that i want to get soon so that would be handy - but others might? i am also looking at a Texpeed one on eBay which isnt expensive (about £45)
is there any good/bad points about either of these or others? im not going to buy a cheapy naff one because i want it to last and also if im spending money on a safety item i want a good one, that said; i dont have a great deal and so not likely to get the top spec model either if it is pricey.

thanks for any help.
Calum.

holyman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to the NEC go and see GLF Accessories. They'll see you right.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 21 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calum, I bought a Knox Ricochet 8 plate back protector last year at the NEC it cost £80. The seller was very helpful and measured me up and made recommendations regarding which model to buy. I would advise that whichever make you buy that you take your jacket, try the protector on under your jacket and go sit on a display bike to see how it feels. Thumbs Up

calum17
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. i like the look of that knox one - is it comfy? i think it was the knox stow away i was looking at see: https://www.planet-knox.com/detail2.aspx?ID=31 . not sure if its better than the richochet - it's cheaper so perhaps not, i may be tight on a lot of things, but im willing to spend more on this - so £80 is a price i will pay, could be the difference between life and death, i know that and so will spend more on this than i would on some things.

i will be taking my alpinestar jacket - i dont have any decent jacket/jumper anyway but out of the two jackets i commonly wear im more to wearing that one these days, despite its lack of shoulder armour (is there any avaliable for an alpinestar textile jacket?)
will look around the NEC and try on a few.
thanks again.

St0rmer66
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think I'd go for the "Knox Contour" but only because I can't help but think the Ricochet would be uncomfortable. The Stowaway also looks good though, probably a lot more practical whilst only a little bit less protective, would definitely prefer that one if I was using it every day.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Dainese Wave II, and that's awesome.

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:27 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an alpinestar one, very good fit and curves to your spine. To be honest i think any decent make will be very good, there is no "best" in these sorts of things since they are all of a high standard.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a £15 lidl one which i cant fault. CE-2 or whatever the protection standard is.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keir_K3 wrote:
Ive got a £15 lidl one which i cant fault. CE-2 or whatever the protection standard is.

There are 2 standards.

Level 1 and Level 2.

Level 2 involves a higher impact rate than level 1.

calum17
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:18 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

St0rmer66 wrote:
Personally I think I'd go for the "Knox Contour" but only because I can't help but think the Ricochet would be uncomfortable. The Stowaway also looks good though, probably a lot more practical whilst only a little bit less protective, would definitely prefer that one if I was using it every day.

the contour doesnt look so protective. but i dont know if it is, will need to look at the NEC and talk to the people there.
the Dainese Wave II is just too expensive, i dont want to be tight and not spend enough ... but i cant spend that much - less than £100 really. the stowaway is going to be my other option i think. practicality shoudlnt be too much of a problem as i can roll up the contour and it says it can go into its bag so even if i have to carry that it would be no real difference to the stowaway - and i wont be getting the bag which that goes with for a while yet. deffinatley considering the ricochet one though. think im going to need to just try on a few and see how they fit. could be i wont like any cos of the way it feels but dont know yet - roll on thursday for the NEC show.

thanks guys.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Keir_K3 wrote:

There are 2 standards.

Level 1 and Level 2.

Level 2 involves a higher impact rate than level 1.

better than i thought then!
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knox Contour is CE approved to EN1621-2 Level 2 and the Ricochet is Level 1. They're both good but the Contour is "better", my mate has a contour and neither of us notice they're there once they're on. I recently had an accident rolling 25' down the road with a broken foot and the Ricochet performed well it was really comfortable as I lay there waiting for the ambulance. Rolling Eyes

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 22 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost £15 from the show 2 years back.

Fits under summer and winter leathers.

Ohhh and has hit the ground, when I landed on my back. Thanks to Mr White pickup truck, "I drive on the wrong side of the road through bends and drive off."

Its the flap you hear when you hit the ground and you think thank feck I bought that back protector.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1