Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CRM250s?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Offroad & Supermoto by G (25 Dec 2007 - 20:36)
View previous topic : View next topic  

01dabreoo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:16 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: CRM250s? Reply with quote

Looking at getting a CRM250R (on similar) in a couple of months, for a bit of fun Smile

Just wondering if anyone knows how good they are or if anyone could recommend anything other?
Looking for something i can take on the dirt, but also road registered/legal so i am able to ride it there, want a 2t really, think that 4t 250s (and under) are to under powered.

Thanks Cool

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:34 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: CRM250s? Reply with quote

A 4 stroke 250 is fine for most things.
If you're getting this bike basically for dirt playing, I'd go with a KTM EXC or GAS GAS EC style bike. These offer a fair bit more for your money than the more road orientated CRM.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 25 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMs are loved and are considered some of the best trail bikes ever. You'll pay through the nose for most examples.

Pick up a copy of TBM (trail bike rider) and thumb through it.

01dabreoo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:21 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

All the KTM's etc seem to be pretty expensive, and few are road registered.
Would most likely use it on the road just as much as the dirt, and also, i don't have a trailor so road legal is a must.

Don't want to spend to much seeing as it's a first off roader, seen CRM250's on ebay go for around £1k, which is about the most i would want to spend.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using it on road to get to off road bits, then I'd for an enduro-ish bike. You can get earlier ones (similar age to the CRM or newer probably) for that sort of money and I've seen plenty that are road registered.
A while ago I got a road registered 87 KTM 350 enduro. Did me fine and was a fair bit lighter than a CRM would be. Was a bit of a handful if you really tried, but then it is a 350 2 stroke with no powervalve.

If you're using it to get from A to B, then something like the CRM (or xr250 etc) makes more sense. Also worth considering on the 2stroke side is the KMXs that are around that capacity,

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never owned a crm250 but did have the 125 version for a while, it was an o.k. bike and fairly flighty.

The 250's look cool but the earlier bikes look a little dated, If the engine CR250 based then tuning/moto-x parts should be plentiful,
If your lucky you could pickup a cr 250 of a similar vintage cheap retro fit its running gear (suspension etc) and be left with plenty of spares.

Also does anyone know exactly what is needed for a daylight M.O.T.?

If road riding between muddy bits is all you want a daytime only registered offroader might be an option to consider.

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.

Last edited by prawny1 on 23:38 - 26 Dec 2007; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:35 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:
If the engine CR250 based then tuning/moto-x parts should be plentiful,
If your lucky you could pickup a cr 250 of a similar vintage cheap retro fit its running gear (suspension etc) and be left with plenty of spares.

It's no where near a CR250 engine. If it was and you were going to tune it, you might as well just buy a CR250 and use that Smile.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 08:35 - 27 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:

Also does anyone know exactly what is needed for a daylight M.O.T.?

Just got my XR250 on a day time MOT.
All it needs is a legal number plate and a rear reflector (not a rear light - just a small reflecter that can be bought for 50p).
And of course the bike has to be structurally and mechanically 'sound'. ie: brakes need to work.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1