Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good all round trail bike - suggestions please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Good all round trail bike - suggestions please Reply with quote

Am buying a trail bike and need something which is a bit of a laugh off and on road but relatively hassle free.

As many folk do, I like the exotica of the KTM and the Husky, CCM etc, but don't know how they fair in terms of reliability and servicing intervals against the big boys.

So, if I'm relativley inexperienced on off roading (have a 350XT at the mo which I use each weekend in sand and deep mud), then what would you recommend?

Looking at maybe up to 2 years old max, low miles and service intervals which don't get smaller than 12 months if used for 1-2 hours each weekend. No racing tho - just green laning etc.

Needs to be road legal...
Oh, while I remember - is there a BMW worth a look for this remit or are they way to heavy?

Cheers

Bri
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:30 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no trailie expert but a DR350 always struck me as a worthy machine.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:49 - 26 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: Good all round trail bike - suggestions please Reply with quote

First off, why set your limit at two years old max? Seems rather a weird and arbitrary limit; usually a 'car' thing.

Do you want ok performance on the road? In the end, if you've got half decent trail tyres on, performance on the road is always going to be limited.

The latest CCMs use Suzuki engines, so will be as reliable as the DR series that they share with.

I'm liking my CCM 404e so far, though a broken leg means it's been road only at the moment. Being designed for supermoto and trail use means easy wheels changes, however.

The KTMs and Huskys tend to be a bit heavier for their long-service interval bikes. However, I'd be interested to see how /real/ weights compare some time.

Bikes like the CCM404/DR400, XR400, XR250 and similar are all worth a look with a good balance between performance and reliability.

Given the choice, I'd go for a enduro 2 stroke. Yes, these are higher maintenance, but no where near a similar performance 4 stroke. They also weigh a lot less and tend to have better suspension than the 'trail' bikes.

To my mind BMWs are too heavy and road orientated.

mooky
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:50 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: Good all round trail bike - suggestions please Reply with quote

FlyBri wrote:
Am buying a trail bike and need something which is a bit of a laugh off and on road but relatively hassle free.

As many folk do, I like the exotica of the KTM and the Husky, CCM etc, but don't know how they fair in terms of reliability and servicing intervals against the big boys.

So, if I'm relativley inexperienced on off roading (have a 350XT at the mo which I use each weekend in sand and deep mud), then what would you recommend?

Looking at maybe up to 2 years old max, low miles and service intervals which don't get smaller than 12 months if used for 1-2 hours each weekend. No racing tho - just green laning etc.

Needs to be road legal...
Oh, while I remember - is there a BMW worth a look for this remit or are they way to heavy?

Cheers

Bri

You have an idea what CC you are looking at?
Depends a lot on what you want to do with it - but IMO, below 500cc, they tend to suck if you have to do any long motorway stretches... (use a van instead).

XR250 are pretty good in terms of low maintenance - XR400 being slightly heavier but more go. Steer clear of the CRF's - by all reports their maintenance requirements are pretty heavy.

At the other end of the scale, you have KTM 950 SE ... Twisted Evil

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:17 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just for trails/Greenlaining,

Probly the ccm404/drz400e if you can get one if not then drz400s.

Also KLX600/650 is also worth looking at.

FlyBri
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss_My_Rs wrote:
If its just for trails/Greenlaining,

Probly the ccm404/drz400e if you can get one if not then drz400s.

Also KLX600/650 is also worth looking at.

yes for mostly greenlaning but will need to travel som to get there. i saw that ccm recently but the build quality didnt look great. wires everywhere...
are the ktms very service intensive?
thanks for the info so far
Bri
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1