Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Indicator Problems - Derbi Senda R 50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Indicator Problems - Derbi Senda R 50 Reply with quote

The other day my indicators suddenly packed up without warning. I WD40'd the the connections thinking it was just water in the sockets and still nothing.

Apparently on the Senda it is the regulator that controls the flash so I traced the wires from that and cleaned them with White Spirits. I now have the indicator dash light coming on for one side of the bike (left) but still nothing on the right. I have disconnected all the indicators, but if I connect them the dash light stops flashing even though the multimeter shows the pulsing 11v through the wires.

Any idea why giving it a load would stop it? And how to get the right indicators working?

Thanks
Mark

nick606
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they led indicators or bulbs ?

I can't see how a regulator on its own controls the flash rate ? are you sure theres no indicator relay ?

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're bulb indicators. The Regulator is more like a multi unit, 3 live wires going in and 3 earths.

In the spare parts catalogue it is labelled as:

REGULATOR RECTIFIER / FLASH UNIT 00H01004841

Pre 2003 Senda's used separate flasher unit and regulator, Derbi decided to change this and mine was the first model to have the combined unit.

Thanks

Mark

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me the other day and caused profuse swearing.

Picture the scene:

Arrow Front left: working
Arrow Rear left: working
Arrow Front right: working
Arrow Rear right: god knows why it wouldn't work (long story)

I managed to fall over at a junction and smashed the front right indicator. I now have no indicators on the right hand side. The green light on the dash would flash fast on the right and when indicating to the left the light wouldn't flash but the indicators were working fine?

I replaced the smashed front indicator and the green light flashed fast when turning right as the rear right was still not working, but now when turning left the green light flashed normally again?

After a long and hard battle to get the rear indicators working fine the green light would flash correctly and slowly.

Why have the green light working intermittently when more both indicators are out on one side is a mystery to me.

Just follow the wires and ensure that the connections are correct and solid.

Phil_P
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:51 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your earths from the bulb holders to ground. It's no good having voltage on one side if there is no-where for it to go.

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken 2 of the wires off the regulator/flasher unit and connected them to the old 2 prong flasher unit from my RS50 and it works fine, there's just a bit of a delay.

Looks like I need to buy a new reg Sad

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Mark

cheekythomas
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:02 - 01 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sendas have always had the indicator relays built into the regulator assy, and yes they are known for failing as the regulator can get quite hot as it looses the excess voltage from the stator.

Old sendas upto Oct 2003 have a unit with all the wires in a line.

New sendas Oct 2003 onwards have them 3 up, 3 down in a block.

The ones all in a line are the most problamatic, but saying that the new style ones are still occasionally packing up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1