Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki DR 350.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 30 Dec 2007    Post subject: Suzuki DR 350..... Reply with quote

clicky

Straight to the point! Is this anygood. Anything i should look out for if i go look at it!

Robchester
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:38 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive looked at this as well, still tempted to spend the cash on a DRZ though

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 13:15 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

might just be my tired old eyes ... but the rear wheel looks a bit squiffy:
https://i5.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/ce/47/66d9_1.JPG

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thikning that. Reckon it might have been 'eatting' dirt few too many times.

I'm struck what to get; i've got it down to an XR250, Xr400, DRZ400, CCM404 (with off road wheels) or a DR350.

Will see what it goes for. been looking for a month now, still nothing that is any good has come up. I got till mid feb b4 im in trouble

(insurance on other bike ends, and i dont want to use bennetts again! as messed me around when i cancelled my policy; it took 7months to give me my money back)

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:01 - 03 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a DR350 and a DR-Z400.
The DR350 was a good bike, but its getting on now. They can be bast##ds to start!
If you are thinking of trail riding get an electric start, when you are knackered after dropping it, the last thing you need is to be kicking it until you are blue in the face. Come to think of it, even if you are just riding to work you don't want to be all hot and sweaty before you start, I know from experience!
If you have a choice get the newest eleccy start bike you can. If you are stuck on a DR350, get the SE (electric start) from 1996 onwards. The DR-Z is probably better value, for £2000 you can get a decent one. If you want to use it off-road get the "E" model not the "S".

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 03 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRZ is defintly on my list! probably be a better choice!

Thanks, Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1996 DR350 SET model, which is the electric start with the auto decompressor. Starts first press of the button everytime. I do remember my mate on his kickstart 385 overbored DR having hell trying to start his though.

My DRZ started first time everytime too, till it lunched something the other day. Word of advice though, the DRZ400 is really heavy for an offroad bike, wouldn't entertain it for offroad use, not even an E spec. I use mine as a supermoto, in your position I'd look at maybe a 250 2 stroke.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and that dr350 on ebay has a bent rear subframe. Takes about 30 seconds to fix. To be frank you could throw a DR350 off a cliff and it'll still be rideable at the bottom.

It's condition ain't great overall though, not like mine.

https://img108.imageshack.us/img108/1397/bike34rearmb3.jpg

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8139/bike34frontbu7.jpg

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On 03-Jan-08 at 20:07:52 GMT, seller added the following information:

just noticed this weekend theres a very small oil leak that looks like its coming off the pipe that bolts onto the head . it didn't lose an egg cup full with allday use on sunday we were out 7 hours. there will also be a new intube as i got a punture yesturday , ive lowered my reserve and will end auction for £775 because of the leak

The seller added this; I think im going to leave it till i see one in a better condition! this ones probably a wreck! Neutral

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the weight of the DRZ.

TBH i cant even remember the weight of any of the bikies ive been looking for! Laughing

Anyone know?

XR400
XR250
DR350
DRZ?
CCM?

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:58 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry weights:-

DR350S 113kg
DR-Z400E 119kg
DR-Z400S 132kg

You can see the main reason why the "E" is better for off-roading! It also has better suspension, a hotter cam, flatslide carb etc and is more responsive and powerful than the "S".

The comment above about the DR-Z being too heavy for off-roading does not ring entirely true. It certainly is not a motocrosser, but the "E" is perfectly adequate for trail riding and the odd enduro. A lot of serious trail riders and trail tour operators still use them because they are almost bullet-proof as long as you maintain them and good value for money.

Most people these days are riding 250/450 4-strokes and they are all around the 120kg mark.

Having said that I have had a DR350 and 400E and now have a KDX220 at 101kg dry! It is certainly easier to throw about but it does not have the grunt of the 400E which can get you out of "sticky" situations.

As with everything it is not "black & white". The best advice is to try some if you can and see what suits you. Good luck.

Last edited by tony_d123 on 18:14 - 06 Jan 2008; edited 1 time in total

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 05 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Word of advice though, the DRZ400 is really heavy for an offroad bike, wouldn't entertain it for offroad use, not even an E spec. I use mine as a supermoto, in your position I'd look at maybe a 250 2 stroke.

That's just ridiculous, an 'E' makes a fantastic laning bike. I even did a couple of motocross track days on mine and it sure as hell wasn't the bike slowing me down. Yes there is appeal in the 1.5kg 2 strokes but it's nice having some low down grunt and engine braking to play with.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 06 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it's not ridiculous. I'd sooner take my DR offroad than my DRZ. Offroad weight is king, and the DRZ is king size.

A KTM 400 EXC is both more powerful and about 10 kilos lighter than the E spec with fuel and oil in.

Not making a thing of it here, but if you are going to buy something for a specific purpose you may as well buy it right first time and not blow a dollop of money on something you won't like.

Quote:
It also has better suspension

Only up till 2003, after the S and E had the same suspension.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:11 - 06 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

But getting back to the point, the guy is spending £2000.

He is not going to get a decent KTM for that money, but you can get a decent 2002-2003 DRZ (with the better suspension!). The KTM's are also a bit "highly strung" and high maintenance. Great if you can get the best out of them but not necessarily the best for a newbie.

I have ridden the DR-Z400E and recently a new CRF450, both for 3 day stints in Spain. The CRF450 was no doubt an incredible bike and lighter, but I was much more comfortable and faster on the DRZ.

As I mentioned before, best to try before you buy if possible.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 06 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A: You can get a good KTM for that money.

B: A KTM EXC 400 will do a good 20k miles without much fuss, decent oil change intervals are all that's needed. My bosses 2 525s and 660 have never let him down or needed a rebuild, despite receiving abuse to and from work every day and championship racing at the weekend.

As opposed to my DRZ-E which has just gone pop, having received relatively gental commuting to and from work with long gearing. And before you say it happens rarely, the Suzuki dealers it is now in for work have sold 2 on the Island, one came back at 5,000 miles having suffered a main bearing failure that destroyed the crank, and the other at 5,200 miles having had a cam chain tensioner spring fail and destroy the head. Mine has lasted all of 7,300 miles, despite observing the service intervals and maintenance procedures, and being maintained by a professional race company before i got it. Not exactly a great record there. So much so that the Suzuki mechanic advised me to fix it, then sell it and buy 'Something that won't blow up every ten minutes'.

My DR350 on the other hand is still trucking at 23,500 miles and shows no signs of letting up. Now that's a proper bike.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 06 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
no, it's not ridiculous. I'd sooner take my DR offroad than my DRZ. Offroad weight is king, and the DRZ is king size.

A KTM 400 EXC is both more powerful and about 10 kilos lighter than the E spec with fuel and oil in.

Not making a thing of it here, but if you are going to buy something for a specific purpose you may as well buy it right first time and not blow a dollop of money on something you won't like.

Something you won't like. Because yours fell apart after five minutes. Mine was excellent and it's only faults were a result of the crappy job the original owner did of making it road legal.

You are the only person I've heard of having such bad luck with a DRZ, and a KTM will generally cost a bundle more than a DRZ (both to buy and to run), so it's apples and oranges really.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 06 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasn't fallen apart. It's just not running. I love the chassis, brakes, flickability of the thing, the suspension's great. The only thing I didn't like was the engine, it's pretty gutless, but I put up with that as i figured it woudn't go pop like something pokier. Obviously I was wrong.

No one appears to 'have heard' of them having reliability issues, until you speak to the poor buggers that have to rebuild the things, and the poor buggers that have to spend upwards of £800 having them rebuilt. So that makes a 100% failure rate for the E spec on the Island, and the dealers haven't yet sold an S model that didn't need decent amounts of engine work to make it past 15,000 miles.

I really ought to stop buying Suzukis, they really suck. Shoulda got that XR650sm instead Brick Wall Mad

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 06 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
I really ought to stop buying Suzukis, they really suck

That's a massive generalisation and you are wrong. Things don't break on their own.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, you're saying that to the bloke that had the gearshift mechanism on his 10,000 mile SV come apart for no apparent reason and throw itself through the bottom end of the motor, shattering the crank case.

I'm well aware that all suzuki's aren't like that. However my personal experience of them, and a few others i know of have been bollux. Apart from the DR, that's a tank.

And things do break on their own, thats why you have a manufacturers warranty Rolling Eyes

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I bought a new bike with a year warranty, left it in the showroom, it might break all by itself?

However, if it was ridden, by someone, i.e not by itself?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it may break. Calipers may seize, fuel goes stale, fluids degrade, rubber degrades, you wanna get pedantic anything could happen. Showroom might burn down.

If it was made by Suzuki it would probably catch fire by itself Rolling Eyes

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol my all my mates ride off roaders and one owned a DRZ 'E' (Till it was swapped for a WR250F). It needed major engine work on 2 seperate occasions. prob around 3k miles apart (mainly road miles). So his experience with them isnt too good either! Another mate of mine ownes a DR250 and rates it highly yet completely dislikes DRZ's! He would say that anyway when he has a WR250F that is actually quicker that the DRZ! Once my mate rode the WR250F he was converted. Ive ridden both and the WR was definatly the better bike. Theres one word that describes a DRZ completely....LUMPY Mr. Green yamaha all the way Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

UKRobT309
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:10 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my XR400, best off road bike ive ever had in 30 years of riding. Mines a 2002 model and ive raced it, pottered about on it on road, done numerous big days out off road etc etc. Its bomb proof, easy to work on, spares are easy to get hold of etc etc etc. Ok, it may be a few kilo's heavier than some bikes and the kick start can be a pain when your up to your knee's in water but as im not planning on being the next Enduro world champ like David Knight then its fine.
In my humble opinion (if your new to bikes and off road stuff) you want to go for reliability and strength in a bike. Dont panic if its a few kilo's heavier than the newest whizz bang super shit hot machine cause it dont matter that much. Half this my bike is lighter than yours is pub talk to impress people.
Get a good XR400 or maybe 250 if your new to off roading. A good DRz is an option to and so is a TTR250, spend a few quid on sump guards and frame guards etc (if it hasnt got them already) and dont worry about the facts and figures and the slight lack of BHP compared to the newest KTM for example because you'll still be riding when the newest lightest crop of bikes are in being repaired, serviced every five minutes etc etc.
Oh, remember to budget for some good boot's, good jacket and lid etc etc. They can make the difference between good times out and misery aswell.

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to leeds to start looking for some gear this week.

I'm a little bit stuck. I've been looking (on and off) for the past month and i can only find wrecks Mad

I think the XR400 would be the best, as (you said) it can cover road miles pretty well.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

element wrote:
lol my all my mates ride off roaders and one owned a DRZ 'E' (Till it was swapped for a WR250F). It needed major engine work on 2 seperate occasions. prob around 3k miles apart (mainly road miles). So his experience with them isnt too good either!

heh, in a bittersweet way i feel vindicated Thumbs Up Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1