Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

lowering cbr 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Roco1970
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: lowering cbr 600 Reply with quote

just wondering what options are available to lower the back of the bike 1" as my mate cant put his heels down and he doesnt feel comfortable in not doing so.
He had the seat lowered and suspension is set to soft.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get lowering kits on ebay, search for them, they basically change the angle of the rear shock which lowers the back end.. if that makes sense.. easy enough to fit as well.

Roco1970
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers sparks i found this,
https://www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=645&products_id=403000

acwman
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:58 - 13 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lowering your seat and softening the suspension..and you still want it lower?? Wow...How tall is your mate!??? Shocked

Think that you can drop the front forks through the yokes, and you should be able to get a lowering kit to lower the back end...though they are not cheap though.

Playing around with the suspension settings could drastically ruin the handling of the bike, and hear it's not the best thing to do to just to get the bike lower.
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 14 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell him to put on weight.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread, but seems totally pointless to start a new one...

Just passed my A2 test today, and i'm looking to get a CBR600F. Smile

I went and sat on one yesterday night, and whilst i had the balls of both feet on the floor, i feel like a brisk wind would have me over. I'm a particularly strong or muscular guy, and i just didn't feel as if i could save it if i tryed to go over.

What are my options for making it lower, and what are the pros and cons of each?

I understand that with different suspension linkages tha back end can be lowered. An inch would be plenty i reckon. Would this mess with the handling of the bike?

I'd have thought that lowering it slightly would give better results than just messing with the preload. (Because that would make the suspension far too soft, all the time surely?)

Would it be better to drop the rar by 1/2" and droped th forks through the yokes by 1/2", to keep the "geometry" of the bike?

New linkages are gonna cost some £££, but dropping the forks is something that could be done by myself, right? (or by a mechanically minded friend Smile )

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but seems totally pointless to start a new one...

Just passed my A2 test today, and i'm looking to get a CBR600F. Smile
)

use my technique, when you stop , slide off slightly to flat foot one of your feet, (for the CBR600).

its more technique that strength, keep it in gear and in 1st holding the clutch in so that IF you do feel it going over you can save it as the torque should stand it up.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:13 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore it for a month, you'll get used to if. If you haven't, then look at hacking the seat down a bit.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:26 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
I went and sat on one yesterday night, and whilst i had the balls of both feet on the floor, i feel like a brisk wind would have me over. I'm a particularly strong or muscular guy, and i just didn't feel as if i could save it if i tryed to go over.

The lesson isn't to stop it going over, it is keeping the bike in a position so you don't have to stop it going over. Frankly once on its way down there are few people with the strength to stop it hitting the ground.

Balls of both feet is far more than many people can manage.

Noxious89123 wrote:
I understand that with different suspension linkages tha back end can be lowered. An inch would be plenty i reckon. Would this mess with the handling of the bike?

I'd have thought that lowering it slightly would give better results than just messing with the preload. (Because that would make the suspension far too soft, all the time surely?)

Yes, both will affect the handling. softening the rear shock more so.

Noxious89123 wrote:
Would it be better to drop the rar by 1/2" and droped th forks through the yokes by 1/2", to keep the "geometry" of the bike?

That would be better, but half an inch is a tiny amount (and you would make that up from cutting the seat down a bit).

Noxious89123 wrote:
New linkages are gonna cost some £££, but dropping the forks is something that could be done by myself, right? (or by a mechanically minded friend Smile )

Linkages are pretty cheap, although if you lower the bike you will also likely need to shorten the side stand. Dropping the forks is easier, just make sure that the wheel won't touch anything when braking hard.

All the best

Keith

b-f-c
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropping the forks through the yokes will reduce the angle of rake, which will change the way it steers - I think it translates to 'will turn into corners quicker'

I would ask the owners club too see what they suggest

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:13 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjrat wrote:
Dropping the forks through the yokes will reduce the angle of rake, which will change the way it steers - I think it translates to 'will turn into corners quicker'

Should be compensated by dropping the rear the same amount if they do what they are thinking of.

All the best

Keith

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, will bear that in mind. Still gotta save some pennies before i buy!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1