Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawa er-5-Exhaust noise-need for tuning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawaz
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:29 - 30 Sep 2007    Post subject: Kawa er-5-Exhaust noise-need for tuning Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm riding again after 24 years. I buy an Kawa er-5 Twister '99, a week ago. Is in pristine condition I have only to tune it up a little and all fluids of course.
What's bothering me is the chirping of exhaust, sounds not "macho" more like a two stroke. People says that's Kawa sound but...??
Can somebody help me with an idea to change it into more bass sound? I don't wanna' be louder, I want it to be more low range sound, more full and masculine. My mechanic says to make few holes, one by one, in the end of the exhaust nozzle...?? Did somebody try this cheap/easy procedure?
Thank's

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 30 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it on my gs500, and i got the desired result, but i never liked the look of the standard can so i bought a quill can and modified a r6 link pipe to fit,

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 30 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its easy and it works. The thing to think about is if you plan to keep the bike for a long time? If you plan on selling it or part exchanging in the next year then it would be better to leave as standard. It may be better to search for a cheap replacement, maybe on Ebay, and save the original exhaust.

kawaz
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:21 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: kawa er5 Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know what's quill. The result with this quill is a lower, rich, sound? I mean like a subwoofer?
hmmmnz wrote:
i did it on my gs500, and i got the desired result, but i never liked the look of the standard can so i bought a quill can and modified a r6 link pipe to fit,

For ichy: I just buy it, I' m not concerned of what will be after, I wish to have a better sound now so, I will try with this holes. Btw. do you know haw many and the diameter of the'm?
Many thank's hmmnz and ichy

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 01 Oct 2007    Post subject: Re: kawa er5 Reply with quote

kawaz wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what's quill. The result with this quill is a lower, rich, sound? I mean like a subwoofer?

Its never going to that deep with a small engine. Its going to be trial and error with the holes but it will make it sound more raspy than deeper.

Iceland ER-5
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:27 - 22 Jan 2008    Post subject: hei Reply with quote

Plz post some pics and resaults after you tried this Smile

Stelmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 22 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine sounds like a VW Beetle.

Was wondering what it was.

mudplug
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quiet because the baffle isn't just in the silencer, it carries on down into the system Shocked i know cos i cut one open at work once.

i've done the hole-drilling thing and it makes a surprising difference. compared to paying 200 quid for a different exhaust it's worth a try Thumbs Up

though i do have an aftermarket er5 exhaust in my garage waiting to be cleaned up and sold, when there's a taker. think it's a nexxus or motad or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1