Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The newest addition to the family - project fugley

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: The newest addition to the family - project fugley Reply with quote

My *cough* bike Laughing

Kawasaki GT750.

I had it running tonight with the help of a jump and a gallon of fuel, yes I didnt believe my eyes either when it started. Even the lights work Shocked

This is going to be a mad max/general abuse/everyday thing for me so thought I would share the story while I convert it from shite to shite Wink

As you can see below the paintwork is highly modified into a moss and water mark appearance, complete with a built in fart channel on the seat, custom orange chrome and custom anodised brown nuts and bolts....

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/myratgt750001.jpg

On the front we have a customised fairing to scare away the most desperate of bike thieves, complimented by a superbly convincing belly pan which has been altered to look like it's falling off and cracked all over Thumbs Up

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/myratgt750002.jpg

Thought it was time to give you a real 'money shot' so you can see where the quality lies in this beast. Absolutely stunning engine work, finely detailed to look just like rust, cobwebs and general rot. I particularly like the green colour scheme the previous owner has provided.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/myratgt750003.jpg

Get ready and watch this space, never again will you have the unique opportunity to see a shit heap rust bucket turned into another shit heap Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 19:57 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pay him for it, or did he pay you to take it away?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Did you pay him for it, or did he pay you to take it away?

NO CRAIG DON'T LOOK

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid him for it Craig. Way too much really but it was a mate who was a little bit stuck for some dollar.

Believe it or not the actual basics are there. It runs, rides and after a decent scrub down with some acid and auto glym it shouldnt look half as bad. I have been messing with shitters like this for years but this will be the first time I have posted any of the process.

Will not be anything like your masterpieces but will be basic and a cheap fix up to show people what can be done with very little to start with and very little money. I reckon a hundred thrown at this and it will be pretty much roadworthy. Thumbs Up

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:07 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone enjoys a challenge right?

Good luck. Thumbs Up

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Everyone enjoys a challenge right?

Good luck. Thumbs Up

At this point I should point out that the pictures actually make it look better Laughing

No such thing as luck mate, just needs a bit of time. Like I say it's no contender for your beauties, it's literally going to be converted into a clean looking hack. Thats why I went for the GT as it is shaft drive and air cooled. Less maintanence and this one was the only one I could find that was under my estimated 250 pound budget - completed.

Still got the mint Bandit (thats something you would be proud of - it's as clean as your R6 and is being modified almost daily now) and still got the KX for the time being but wanted to do another 'ol shitter project. I miss doing them and have a bit of time spare at the moment so I thought.. what the hell Thumbs Up

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope you paid in jellybabies Shocked
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like it Embarassed

Has a mean looking front end Thumbs Up

Good job its a shafty though really Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

vee wrote:
I do hope you paid in jellybabies Shocked

Pound notes i'm afraid. 150 smackers Mr. Green Before you all think I am a lunatic, it has all the paperwork from new, has had only a couple of owners and came with three quarters of another bike as spares. The exhaust is only a couple of years old, full stainless steel motad system and all the bearings have already been replaced in the wheels and steering. It just looks shite Laughing

The story goes... he had it fully running in good order and was using it daily. The bike was took off the road at the end of 2003 for no other reason than he got a Triumph sprint. He left it and left it and then decided to put it back on the road. In his attempts he bought the exhaust and all the bearings and fitted them but that was as far as it got. He ran into some financials, as we all do at times and needed to get shot. I looked past the horrible exterior and once I heard the engine run my mind was made up.

I have a history with these, have had two of them so the mechanical side of things is not really a problem.

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

1samarg wrote:
Pound notes i'm afraid. 150

Shocked

I've had better for free. Wink

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/micklivesey/DSC00747.jpg

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/micklivesey/DSC00748.jpg

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I prefer the rustic look of mine Laughing

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

1samarg wrote:
Meh, I prefer the rustic look of mine Laughing

I prefer the working look of mine. Laughing

Each to their own. Thumbs Up

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxrmick wrote:
1samarg wrote:
Pound notes i'm afraid. 150

Shocked

I've had better for free. Wink

How's that project going by the way mate? have you ridden it yet, it's mental!

T

J0Al1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuk me it needs TLC.
Looking forward to seeing you at FC's on it soon.

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 23 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypie wrote:
Fuk me it needs TLC.
Looking forward to seeing you at FC's on it soon.

It wont be long I can assure you Wink

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, you lot have no imagination! I think there's a lot of hack potential there, could be a lot of fun. Mind you, I'd be tempted to try and get it through an MOT without a clean, just to see the expression on every other road user's face!

I like it, or at least I think I'll like it when it's done. Have fun sorting it!

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 03:29 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it recovered from a lake?, I kinda like how ugly it is.

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Was it recovered from a lake?, I kinda like how ugly it is.

Laughing I see where you're coming from. It was stored under a sheet but the wind blew it off and the sheet sat at such an angle it actually directed more water onto it than off it.

Just going out now to give it a good scrub down and acid bath. Going to get it running properly too. Will post some pics up later Thumbs Up

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

How's that project going by the way mate? have you ridden it yet, it's mental!

T

Not yet. Havent had time recently.

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped the carbs and given them a clean out. Drained the tank and cleaned it out. Plugs out and cleaned, new battery picked up, oil changed, all put back together and ...it's alive!! (properly)

Need one rubber from the head to the carbs as it's perished and has a split in it unless anyone knows a cheap fix? Was thinking of a resin based glue... Question

Washed down fully, not too bad to look at now. Got the lights working at the front, and all the indicators but no back light yet (just brake light). Just a bulb though and I have to sort out the switch for the back foot brake. No front brake at all, suspect seals gone but will try to bleed it up first and see how it goes.

Seat for now is going to get gaffa taped up until I can source a cheap cover or second hand seat.

Ran into a problem I didnt budget for though - front tyre. Perished to hell but should have one coming for it. The back tyre is good but keeps going down. I will have to take it off and check the beads and seals.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/myratgt750004.jpg

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/myratgt750005.jpg

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/myratgt750006.jpg

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/myratgt750007.jpg

Obviously a way to go yet but hoping to get some paint on it tomorrow if I can get the brakes sorted out in time.

davidlewtas16
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:43 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks a nice bike but i think you need to clean the engine up it lets the bike down and so do some of the body panels Very Happy

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going mad max black Wink

Got the back brake fully functioning with brake light now.

Found a front tyre 34.00 brand new, it's a metzeler the same as the back.

Ran into a snapped bleed nipple on the front left caliper but a good friend has whisked that off to his workshop to get sorted and is making me up a front braided hose as well as the one on there was a bit naff.

Secured the tank into place, for those of you who dont know, this bike has been altered a bit. The rear tail section and front headlight surround are non standard. The tank is off a Z750 and so is the seat. This is why I have had to bodge ... err... modify a few bits. Sorted the petrol cap as it didnt have a key. Stripped it down, removed a couple of bits and hey presto... working well with the gt key Wink

Put some gaffer tape on the seat for now just to stop the soggy arse syndrome. I may just leave it like that for now as it adds character Laughing

Tomorrow I plan to hit the brake reservoir as the piston is seized but that shouldnt be a problem.

Spent the best part of an hour making a superb extender as the clutch cable was over full stretch only to find out that it is frayed big time at the engine end Evil or Very Mad Not to worry, sourced one for 12 quid Thumbs Up

Took it round the farm where I live today for a quick hoon Very Happy

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAO anyone who does end up breaking a bleed nipple...

you can get banjo bolts with bleed nipples integrated for just this purpose.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cleaned it?? Spoilsport.

Karbon Kid
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:23 - 24 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish i could get something like that for £150 quid. Id have a go at building a low rider or even a trike just for the hell of it. You would probably pay more than that for the engine around our way.All the despatch riders used to use those kwacker shaft drives.
Let me know if you hear of anything else like that going. Surprised Surprised Surprised
StevieH
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4