Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to get started??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

treesey200
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:43 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: How to get started?? Reply with quote

Ok so I have a full bike license and currently own a Honda Hornet 600 which I love, but recently have become interested in having a go at off road riding. The problem is I don't no where start!

My biggest concern is where to do the riding? I live in St Helens (merseyside) and there is no where legal to ride in the area. I am sure other people have this problem is there areas so whats the alternatives?

Whats a good bike for learning on?

Are there any good shops around the northwest where I can go and have a look for off road stuff as all the bike shops I have been to tend to be for road bikes.

Helen

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 18:17 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick look on wayfinder - and there are a few small lanes that you can ride -- such as the one in Sherdley Park and over near Sutton Heath rd.
But they are pretty small and not sure what surface conditions they are.

You best bet it to have a look at any local motocross tracks in your area (there is one upo in Preston) or get a van and head for the hills Smile

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:08 - 27 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treesey,dont make the almighty mistake of assuming you need a 650+,try to get a ride on some 250s,they will be plenty ,id get a nice 4 stroke to get into it,check out your local TRF for rideouts.

short1uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

see a few quads for £500 on ebay place called Formula 1 they are 110cc, is that cack?

C

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:58 - 28 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

short1uk wrote:
see a few quads for £500 on ebay place called Formula 1 they are 110cc, is that cack?

C

Avoid chinese at all costs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyd wrote:
Treesey,dont make the almighty mistake of assuming you need a 650+,try to get a ride on some 250s,they will be plenty ,id get a nice 4 stroke to get into it,check out your local TRF for rideouts.

i agree. an enduro 4t would be perfect. 2t are more fun but they are a little different to ride and you need to be higher up the revs to use them whereas a 4t you can just bimble along Smile

dodger
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:33 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen the Leisurelakes track has been re-built and in much better condition than it used to be which isn't too far from you.

I done a taster session at the NEC Bike show and it is something I'd like to get into also. Anyone recommend a decent starter bike for use on a motocross track? Cool

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:20 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

element wrote:

i agree. an enduro 4t would be perfect. 2t are more fun but they are a little different to ride and you need to be higher up the revs to use them whereas a 4t you can just bimble along Smile

Depends the 2 stroke. Newer enduro 2 strokes can be pretty flat - if anything you get a broader 'torque band' than you do on the revvier 4 strokes.

The old 87 KTM350 (no powervalve) I had was also quite good despite getting a big hit when you revved it - keep it at low revs and it was fine to bimble on. Of course if you turned the throttle enough it then either span up or tried to rip your arms off Very Happy.

treesey200
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:40 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice folks. Where do you think i can get a cheap bike to get started?
I don't want to spend too much

Helen

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:17 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the sticky at the top of this forum Smile.

Oh and dodger, if you're thinking motocross rather than enduro/greenlaning, then something like a cr/kx/rm/yz 125 should do you fine.

dodger
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:27 - 30 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,

Just had a quick look on e-bay. The prices are really tempting... Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1