Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB600F Hornet Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: CB600F Hornet Review Reply with quote

Usually seem to get a question about these machines every few month, so here's my attempt at a review/ buyers guide to the CB600F(s) from 98-06.

The formula for the first hornet back in 1998 was very simple. An easy to get one with mid sized bike for beginners, commuters and born agains. Honda raided their warehouses and came up with the Hornet. With an engine stolen from the CBR600F of the time, but slightly re-tuned for more midrange slung in a cheap steel back bone frame, fireblade wheels, brakes and suspension was similar to the CBR600F, but slightly cheaper, and the absence of any sort of rising rate linkage for the shock(It bolts directly from the frame the swing arm) helped to keep the costs down.

Possibly by more luck than judgement Honda had created a bike that was so much more than just the sum of its parts. This was a serious all round machine that could do pretty much anything, although due to its unfaired nature motorway blasting was only for the determined for those with a neck as thick as their head. A faired model later followed in 2000 making this a serious year round biking choice.

Engine

The engine came straight for the CBR600F of the time, which was the V/W model. The steel framed version. In the hornet it had been re-tuned with smaller carbs (34mm from 36mm), milder cams, less compression and some head changes.

Out on the road it climbs smoothly from about 2k rpm to the redline. There's an emissions induced flat spot at about 5k, bu apart from that it's happy to just bimble around in the lower half of the rev range, it never complains and cossets the rider the whole time.

Once you get into the upper half of the rev range you see that this really is a motor with Jekyll and Hyde characteristics. It starts to get into it's stride at around 8k and bolts for the red line at 10k before the limiter cuts in at around 13.5k. Keep the Hornet up here and some serious progress can be made. It's a match for most of the previous generation 600cc sports bikes in the real world.

If however you are keeping the motor at the business end of its rev range then you'll be luck to get more than 100 or so miles from it's 16 litre tank.

Chassis & Suspension

The steel backbone chassis and "budget" suspension work well together. Honda being Honda the suspension is more from the upper end of the budget bracket rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel, but the suspension is still overwhelmed over bumpy surfaces and during hard braking.

The unadjustable forks benefit from different springs and a thicker oil to help stop them diving so much as you brake.

The Showa pre-load adjustable only rear shock is pretty good as it is, but it will start of overheat if pushed hard. The shock only really lasts about 10/15k miles before most of its damping is gone.

Some people like to pull the forks through the yokes by small amount to help speed up the steering, I've never felt the need to do this though.

The brakes are nothing remarkable. They stop the bike well enough, but it benefits so end of braided brake lines and a different brake material. In 2000 the bike got a better pad material and a rigid caliper to caliper pass over. This improved matters, but braided lines are still the ultimate solution.

On earlier models a 16 inch front was standard, some of these may well have been changed to 17 inch for stickier rubber or personal preference(CBR600F X/Y onwards , VFR750, and RVF400 fronts can all fit)

The 16 inch front is ok, but it does make the bike more likely to flap the bars when pressing on over bumpy surfaces. In 200 the bike got a 17 inch front, which cured the problem, although it did slow down the steering slightly. The 17 inch front also gives a much greater selection of tyres.

Styling/

Styling is pretty tame by modern standards. It got a proper update in 2003 with more angular bodywork, which I prefer over the older model. The older model has aged quite well with no shell suit graphics to give away its age.

The twin analogue clocks are rather retro by today's standard, but they fit well with the rest of the bike.

Buying

There were 3 sets of changes made to the Hornet from 98 to 06(excluding colours).

In 2000 the bike got improved front brakes, 17 inch front and the pad compound was changed to match the CBR600F

In 2003 the bike received a cosmetic overhaul which also happily resulted in a 17 litre tank.

In 2005 the Hornet also got upside down forks and a new comfier than before seat.

The changes made in 2000 and 2003 improved the bike a fair bit, but the 2005 re-vamp less so.

considering the price of the earlier bikes I'd be more inclined to get the earlier model and save some money for upgrades.

Things to look out for

Not a whole lot really.

The engine can trace its roots back to the late 1980's, so it's a very well developed engine with few known faults.

As with most Honda of this era though it does suffer from the cam chain tensioner(CCT) sticking, the regular rectifier can also be a bit dippy.

To check for the CCT start the bike from cold and listen for a machine gun type rattle from the engine. A new CCT is about £50 + fitting, although sometimes you can get away with taking it out and giving it a clean.

SInce the hornet likes a wheelie now and again it's worth checking the head bearings for notcheyness or play. Check the move smoothly from lock to lock with the front wheel off the ground.

Whilst on the subject of wheelied bikes, some Hornets, although it is very few can suffer from second gear issues. I've never come across it, but apparently the bike will jump out of second under hard acceleration, but this is usually only on abused bikes.

With the bike running in neutral there's usually a grumble/rumble from the clutch. This is nothing to worry about and they all do it to a certain degree. If you pull in the clutch the rumble should immediately cease, if it doesn't investigate further or just walk away. There are plenty of Hornet's out there so you can afford to be picky.

Most Hornets you come across will have been modified to some extent. Most of it isn't really worth must extra unless it's good quality kit with the originals too. The stuff that is worth something however is a rear hugger to protect the shock and a fenda-extena on the front to protect the front of the engine from road crap.

Modifications/Tuning

There are SO many options with the Hornet. Every need is catered for. If I it was we I'd spend money on a hugger, fenda-extena, can, then suspension.

You can go really to town and change the forks, swing arm, shock etc. for aftermarket stuff if that's your thing.

To finish off a picture of me enjoying my 99 Hornet at a trackday. It's a brilliant bike for the track, but the pegs are a little on the low side.

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/Big_Ham/_DSC3514.jpg

They do good burnout's too

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/Big_Ham/Burnout2.jpg

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 21:06 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting write up.

Styling - I tend to prefer the later models (not the latest though), but the looks were never drool worth. Sounded like a wet fart with a standard system on.

Performance was okay. A reasonable amount of grunt low down, but massively over geared - especially with a lack of protection as stock, led to a useless 'top end' on the higher gears (on stretches greater than 15 miles or so). Keeps up with pretty much anything up to around 75mph though.

Tank range - pants.

I found the brakes merely adequate, despite a full service with new pads and lines. The suspension was 'quirky' - comfy around town but felt like there was a hinge in the middle of the bike. This is based upon a couple of examples I've ridden, 15k old or more, so likelihood was that the shocks were well past their best. I found the same slappy steering when trying to crack on - an irritating draw back when thrashing down bumpy roads, especially when other bikes just tend to grip and carry on unflustered. Pity as the actual chasis felt rather good and it was so easy to ride at 2/3rds pace. I guess it is a budget bike so the suspension is obviously not up to comparible sports bike standards.

My conclusion were they were typical Honda - great performers, robust, reliable, easy to keep looking smart, but ultimately uninspiring.

I enjoyed my riding-like-I-stole-it CB1 more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review! I'm after a hornet for my next bike in a couple of months time. I'm after a yellow one as well. Is there any chance you could get some more pics of yours with the fenda extenda, I'd like to see if it makes the bike ugly or not! cheers

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

alun111 wrote:
I'd like to see if it makes the bike ugly or not! cheers

Unfortunately mine's been traded in to a dealer.

If you're near On Yer Bike Aylesbury it may be worth a look.

No it doesn't make the bike look ugly, you barely notice it's there, it's black and adds about 3 inches to the back of the front mud guard. It's pretty discrete.

Madmanx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review you,ve got it in a nutshell.
They,re cheap too. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Madmanx on 15:08 - 01 Feb 2008; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review Big_Ham, though I have a tiny suspicion....

...it was all a clever ruse to whore your photos, you know it! Wink

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:

That's where you're wrong Fawbs, it was a Hornet review, not a GSXR one. Wink Laughing

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 00:01 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

alun111 wrote:
Good review! I'm after a hornet for my next bike in a couple of months time. I'm after a yellow one as well.

Jay12329 will be selling his yellow one soon. Drop him a PM.

alun111
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
alun111 wrote:
Good review! I'm after a hornet for my next bike in a couple of months time. I'm after a yellow one as well.

Jay12329 will be selling his yellow one soon. Drop him a PM.

It won't be for 2-3 months yet mate Sad

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:36 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

alun111 wrote:

It won't be for 2-3 months yet mate Sad

Doesn't hurt to discuss, he won't be selling it immediately as the replacement isn't on the road yet.

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: CB600F Hornet Review Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
The formula for the first hornet back in 1998 was very simple.

The first hornet was a 250 which was released in Japan 1996, and was never sold in this country Wink

https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/250spec.html

https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images/Hornet250_r2_c1.gif
https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images/Hornet250_r3_c1.gif
https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images/Hornet250_r4_c1.gif

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 04 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: CB600F Hornet Review Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
Big_Ham wrote:
The formula for the first hornet back in 1998 was very simple.

The first hornet was a 250 which was released in Japan 1996, and was never sold in this country Wink

https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/250spec.html

https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images/Hornet250_r2_c1.gif
https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images/Hornet250_r3_c1.gif
https://www.hondahornet.co.uk/images/Hornet250_r4_c1.gif

I was talking about the uk, shrugs, but I see what you mean. Wink Incidently the 250 still had the fireblade wheels. Laughing

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Fawbish wrote:

That's where you're wrong Fawbs, it was a Hornet review, not a GSXR one. Wink Laughing

Laughing Damn right.

You never hear about Kwak owners whoring photos at all, cos we is a special breed of modest ace bikerz innit Wink

Aprilia riders are gay. ner ner

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 07:45 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the faired version as a hire hire bike, it was ok but the fairing didn't seem to do anything notiable the brakes had ABS and were top notch the bike did seem to scream budget at me mind, better than the bandit I had as a hire bike previously.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 8 years, 23 days between these two posts...

leesteuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:22 - 27 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: CB600F Hornet Review Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Usually seem to get a question about these machines every few month, so here's my attempt at a review/ buyers guide to the CB600F(s) from 98-06.

The formula for the first hornet back in 1998 was very simple. An easy to get one with mid sized bike for beginners, commuters and born agains. Honda raided their warehouses and came up with the Hornet. With an engine stolen from the CBR600F of the time, but slightly re-tuned for more midrange slung in a cheap steel back bone frame, fireblade wheels, brakes and suspension was similar to the CBR600F, but slightly cheaper, and the absence of any sort of rising rate linkage for the shock(It bolts directly from the frame the swing arm) helped to keep the costs down.

Possibly by more luck than judgement Honda had created a bike that was so much more than just the sum of its parts. This was a serious all round machine that could do pretty much anything, although due to its unfaired nature motorway blasting was only for the determined for those with a neck as thick as their head. A faired model later followed in 2000 making this a serious year round biking choice.

Engine

The engine came straight for the CBR600F of the time, which was the V/W model. The steel framed version. In the hornet it had been re-tuned with smaller carbs (34mm from 36mm), milder cams, less compression and some head changes.

Out on the road it climbs smoothly from about 2k rpm to the redline. There's an emissions induced flat spot at about 5k, bu apart from that it's happy to just bimble around in the lower half of the rev range, it never complains and cossets the rider the whole time.

Once you get into the upper half of the rev range you see that this really is a motor with Jekyll and Hyde characteristics. It starts to get into it's stride at around 8k and bolts for the red line at 10k before the limiter cuts in at around 13.5k. Keep the Hornet up here and some serious progress can be made. It's a match for most of the previous generation 600cc sports bikes in the real world.

If however you are keeping the motor at the business end of its rev range then you'll be luck to get more than 100 or so miles from it's 16 litre tank.

Chassis & Suspension

The steel backbone chassis and "budget" suspension work well together. Honda being Honda the suspension is more from the upper end of the budget bracket rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel, but the suspension is still overwhelmed over bumpy surfaces and during hard braking.

The unadjustable forks benefit from different springs and a thicker oil to help stop them diving so much as you brake.

The Showa pre-load adjustable only rear shock is pretty good as it is, but it will start of overheat if pushed hard. The shock only really lasts about 10/15k miles before most of its damping is gone.

Some people like to pull the forks through the yokes by small amount to help speed up the steering, I've never felt the need to do this though.

The brakes are nothing remarkable. They stop the bike well enough, but it benefits so end of braided brake lines and a different brake material. In 2000 the bike got a better pad material and a rigid caliper to caliper pass over. This improved matters, but braided lines are still the ultimate solution.

On earlier models a 16 inch front was standard, some of these may well have been changed to 17 inch for stickier rubber or personal preference(CBR600F X/Y onwards , VFR750, and RVF400 fronts can all fit)

The 16 inch front is ok, but it does make the bike more likely to flap the bars when pressing on over bumpy surfaces. In 200 the bike got a 17 inch front, which cured the problem, although it did slow down the steering slightly. The 17 inch front also gives a much greater selection of tyres.

Styling/

Styling is pretty tame by modern standards. It got a proper update in 2003 with more angular bodywork, which I prefer over the older model. The older model has aged quite well with no shell suit graphics to give away its age.

The twin analogue clocks are rather retro by today's standard, but they fit well with the rest of the bike.

Buying

There were 3 sets of changes made to the Hornet from 98 to 06(excluding colours).

In 2000 the bike got improved front brakes, 17 inch front and the pad compound was changed to match the CBR600F

In 2003 the bike received a cosmetic overhaul which also happily resulted in a 17 litre tank.

In 2005 the Hornet also got upside down forks and a new comfier than before seat.

The changes made in 2000 and 2003 improved the bike a fair bit, but the 2005 re-vamp less so.

considering the price of the earlier bikes I'd be more inclined to get the earlier model and save some money for upgrades.

Things to look out for

Not a whole lot really.

The engine can trace its roots back to the late 1980's, so it's a very well developed engine with few known faults.

As with most Honda of this era though it does suffer from the cam chain tensioner(CCT) sticking, the regular rectifier can also be a bit dippy.

To check for the CCT start the bike from cold and listen for a machine gun type rattle from the engine. A new CCT is about £50 + fitting, although sometimes you can get away with taking it out and giving it a clean.

SInce the hornet likes a wheelie now and again it's worth checking the head bearings for notcheyness or play. Check the move smoothly from lock to lock with the front wheel off the ground.

Whilst on the subject of wheelied bikes, some Hornets, although it is very few can suffer from second gear issues. I've never come across it, but apparently the bike will jump out of second under hard acceleration, but this is usually only on abused bikes.

With the bike running in neutral there's usually a grumble/rumble from the clutch. This is nothing to worry about and they all do it to a certain degree. If you pull in the clutch the rumble should immediately cease, if it doesn't investigate further or just walk away. There are plenty of Hornet's out there so you can afford to be picky.

Most Hornets you come across will have been modified to some extent. Most of it isn't really worth must extra unless it's good quality kit with the originals too. The stuff that is worth something however is a rear hugger to protect the shock and a fenda-extena on the front to protect the front of the engine from road crap.

Modifications/Tuning

There are SO many options with the Hornet. Every need is catered for. If I it was we I'd spend money on a hugger, fenda-extena, can, then suspension.

You can go really to town and change the forks, swing arm, shock etc. for aftermarket stuff if that's your thing.

To finish off a picture of me enjoying my 99 Hornet at a trackday. It's a brilliant bike for the track, but the pegs are a little on the low side.

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/Big_Ham/_DSC3514.jpg

They do good burnout's too

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/Big_Ham/Burnout2.jpg

great review mate even tho its a while ago ! in your view which is best mate.. 650 bandit or hornet 600 2006 upwards ? im torn between the two and have just got the bike bug after not riding one for 25 years !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you can find under budget in good condition. Consider also FZ6.

leesteuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:24 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Whatever you can find under budget in good condition. Consider also FZ6.

ok thanks mate !

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:29 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet > Bandit 650 IMO. Thumbs Up

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet over bandit everyday more superior machine.

I had one for 10 months put 10k miles on it, it got thrashed everyday and the only thing was played up was a dodgy battery.
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

leesteuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:49 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conzar wrote:

I had one for 10 months put 10k miles on it, it got thrashed everyday and the only thing was played up was a dodgy battery.

Ahh well I wont be thrashing it I want it for carefull riding with a burst of speed when needed haha ! I have heard the bandit is better for town/traffic riding as you get good torque at low revs whereas the hornet needs high revs to get it moving ?

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

leesteuk wrote:
Conzar wrote:

Ahh well I wont be thrashing it I want it for carefull riding with a burst of speed when needed haha ! I have heard the bandit is better for town/traffic riding as you get good torque at low revs whereas the hornet needs high revs to get it moving ?

Quite the opposite I'm afraid, the blandit is much heavier, the hornet is better for town riding easier flick-ability, the hornet is more than happy being in higher gears at low speed, you have to rev the hornet if you want to go FAST but for normal riding its fine.
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:14 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit is the heavier, more sensible option. I like my 600S, good headlights, screen is big enough to shield from weather, very stable in the wet. Could do with being lighter and the reassuring handling mean it's not particularly sharp feeling. Newer bandits are more powerful and more refined, but they're sensible bikes. Works for me as a daily ride. Very comfortable.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Bandit is the heavier, more sensible option.

Thinking Thinking Thinking

Honestly just look into the Hornet, im sure other users will back me up, its a all round do it all machine with better build quality

leesteuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:46 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conzar wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:
Bandit is the heavier, more sensible option.

Thinking Thinking Thinking

Honestly just look into the Hornet, im sure other users will back me up, its a all round do it all machine with better build quality

Hi and thanks people for your replies ! I have been doing a lot of reading up on the hornet and bandit and the swing seems to favour the bandit for high torque at low revs whereas the hornet you need higher revs to get moving, so in traffic you would be screwing the hornet to keep moving along whereas the bandit has enough torque it will pull well at low revs even in 3rd gear ! with no need to screw it .

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

leesteuk wrote:
Hi and thanks people for your replies ! I have been doing a lot of reading up on the hornet and bandit and the swing seems to favour the bandit for high torque at low revs whereas the hornet you need higher revs to get moving, so in traffic you would be screwing the hornet to keep moving along whereas the bandit has enough torque it will pull well at low revs even in 3rd gear ! with no need to screw it .

Where are you getting this shit from? screwing the hornet to keep it moving..what are you talking about, the hornet is perfectly fine at low speeds in 3rd.

If you don't want to listen to advise from me that has ridden both bikes then that's fine..its called a blandit for a reason.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2