Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

leesteuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:42 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conzar wrote:
leesteuk wrote:
Hi and thanks people for your replies ! I have been doing a lot of reading up on the hornet and bandit and the swing seems to favour the bandit for high torque at low revs whereas the hornet you need higher revs to get moving, so in traffic you would be screwing the hornet to keep moving along whereas the bandit has enough torque it will pull well at low revs even in 3rd gear ! with no need to screw it .

Where are you getting this shit from? screwing the hornet to keep it moving..what are you talking about, the hornet is perfectly fine at low speeds in 3rd.

If you don't want to listen to advise from me that has ridden both bikes then that's fine..its called a blandit for a reason.

No I don't know what im talking about hence me asking these questions mate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornets have plenty of grunt, we're not talking 125's here. Bandit 600's are worse in every respect. Buy a 1200 if you want torque from tickover.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

leesteuk wrote:
Hi and thanks people for your replies ! I have been doing a lot of reading up on the hornet and bandit and the swing seems to favour the bandit for high torque at low revs whereas the hornet you need higher revs to get moving, so in traffic you would be screwing the hornet to keep moving along whereas the bandit has enough torque it will pull well at low revs even in 3rd gear ! with no need to screw it .

Rubbish. They're both road orientated, cummuter friendly, middleweight inline 4 motorcycles. They'll both be smooth and pull well at low revs, so it really doesn't matter. But even so, if you look up some dyno graphs for each, you'll see that the Hornet makes considerably more power and torque throughout the rev range, so what you've read is also plain wrong.

What does matter is that the Honda is better built and finished (important at the age), lighter, and more powerful. And for most, it's much better looking.

Neither bike appeals to me, but of those two, the Hornet is a very easy choice.

leesteuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:47 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
leesteuk wrote:

Rubbish. They're both road orientated, cummuter friendly, middleweight inline 4 motorcycles. They'll both be smooth and pull well at low revs, so it really doesn't matter. But even so, if you look up some dyno graphs for each, you'll see that the Hornet makes considerably more power and torque throughout the rev range, so what you've read is also plain wrong.

What does matter is that the Honda is better built and finished (important at the age), lighter, and more powerful. And for most, it's much better looking.

Neither bike appeals to me, but of those two, the Hornet is a very easy choice.

Ahh ok thanks,i feel im getting somewhere thanks to you guys replies !
Ok sooo what year hornet would you say would be best to get ? I do plan on eventually getting a 1250 bandit but not for a year or so,first I want a 600ish cc which is looking like a hornet !

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP gives a good account of the different model year versions.

But really, at this age, the best advice is to buy the best condition bike you can find within your budget.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
But really, at this age, the best advice is to buy the best condition bike you can find within your budget.

So much this. I don't doubt that a hornet is more fun, similarly the Fazer is a great bike. Bandit is sensible. Bland if you wish. I'd take a good condition bandit over a skanky hornet or crusty fazer, but similarly i'd take a good hornet over a rust encrusted bandit or a tired and flaky fazer.

I think the low down torque of the bandit 6 is a myth, it probably has more than the GSXR the engine it is descended from, but it feels tuned for a smooth midrange; it pulls hard from 4000 rpm and really takes off at 8000 which feels quite revvy when coming from a single or a twin, but it's certainly not got the torque from idle of a bigger bike. It's been an adjustment coming from a lumpy twin that would ride in 3rd gear like an oversized twist and go.

leesteuk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:25 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Alex A wrote:

So much this. I don't doubt that a hornet is more fun, similarly the Fazer is a great bike. Bandit is sensible. Bland if you wish. I'd take a good condition bandit over a skanky hornet or crusty fazer, but similarly i'd take a good hornet over a rust encrusted bandit or a tired and flaky fazer.

I think the low down torque of the bandit 6 is a myth, it probably has more than the GSXR the engine it is descended from, but it feels tuned for a smooth midrange; it pulls hard from 4000 rpm and really takes off at 8000 which feels quite revvy when coming from a single or a twin, but it's certainly not got the torque from idle of a bigger bike. It's been an adjustment coming from a lumpy twin that would ride in 3rd gear like an oversized twist and go.

Thanks again people !
Ok dare I ask your views on a bandit 1200 and hornet 900 ? re torque and suitability for some1 whos not ridden much in the last 20 years !!

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 05 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate.

Get on ebay motors and type in 'Hornet'

Get one that's been looked after by someone, mileage doesn't really matter.

I guarantee you will come back here and tell us all how epic it is!

I can leave mine in 5th gear at 30mph and wind it on.

The 900's were a bit of a let down from what I've read.

If you've not ridden much in the last 20 years the 600 is going to be the perfect setup. Over 7k you'll be amazed how the thing picks up.

Don't know anything on bandit 12's other than they can make good workhorses.

mailee
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:04 - 05 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early Hornet 98 and it has been well looked after with only 18000 on the clock. This is only my second bike after passing my test and riding a 750 Virago. I often mill around town on it commuting in traffic and it is fine in 3rd gear and will pull away fine. Like all il4s it does rev well and this was a bit strange after a twin but once you get used to it it is great. Take it out on the open road and get it above 7000 revs and it is like a stabbed rat! As has been mentioned it's a Honda and they are pretty much bullet proof. I say go for one, you won't regret it.......I still haven't. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2