Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Write off/re-sale values

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Write off/re-sale values Reply with quote

In a conversation the other day I was talking to someone about bikes that have been written off but are able to be repaired and put back on the road. So category D to be precise. I was sure that this puts the bike's value down by a fair chunk when you ever come to sell it on. But the question came up of why if it's been repaired to 'good as new' condition?

So am I wrong in thinking that the value decreases even if fully repaired?

or if I aren't

What difference does it make if everything damaged has been replaced with new parts to create the 'new' condition once more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll only ever be worth 75%ish of the full market value. I'd have no problem coughing up the full market value for a write-off though as cat d is only going to be plastics and maybe scuffs to the forks or frame.

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has a lot to do with insurance.

If the bike has been written off as far as the insurance companies are concerned then they will not pay out on it a second time (as someone on here found out recently) and often you can only get third party insurance when you put it back on the road no matter how much you've spent on it.

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It totally depends on what the potential buyer is willing to pay. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

Jack: I don't understand what you're saying, can you clarify?

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people won't buy a re-registered write-off. Typically, they will only ever be worth 75% of full-market value. I would rather buy a repaired write-off to be honest, safe in the knowledge that the damage on a cat d bike was likely to be plastics only, and i'd get the bike 25% cheaper than another.

The bike's history makes no difference to me, which is why i would be happy paying the full market value. If it's been repaired back to how it was, then why should the fact that it's been written off have any impact on the value? It's just a handy stigma that drives the prices down for the rest of us Very Happy

Jack

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, i'm with you now and totally agree. Thumbs Up
I thought for a minute you were saying that the bike would only be worth 75% but you'd happily pay 100% anyway.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
safe in the knowledge that the damage on a cat d bike was likely to be plastics only, Jack

While i fully understand what you are saying and agree with you. The biggest worry is the assesor has just looked at the damage to plastics worked out its non repair job, and not bothered to check any more, so the possibilty of a damaged frame or it being weakened is much greater.
How many people that buy them back will bother to strip down and get frame checked for alignment and damage.
I bet most repair plastics and sell straight on.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
I think it has a lot to do with insurance.

If the bike has been written off as far as the insurance companies are concerned then they will not pay out on it a second time (as someone on here found out recently) and often you can only get third party insurance when you put it back on the road no matter how much you've spent on it.

The 7R was a Cat C.

Insurance wise as its on its original plates and not a Q, then its the same as any other bike out there.

Price wise I suppose I paid a few quid less than the average for year, condition, blah blah blah. Theres a stigma attached to write offs but as long as the money has been spent to make sure that the bike is A ok then whats the deal?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1