Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My mean & dirty CB250RS-Phs 2!!(and 3-dont wanna clog fo

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: My mean & dirty CB250RS-Phs 2!!(and 3-dont wanna clog fo Reply with quote

Ok, I did a couple more bits on the CB250 over the weekend. Namely sprayed the exhaust with matt black VHT paint, and fitted the ammo box panniers.

Here she was after 'phase 1':

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase1030.jpg

Here she is today:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/cb250phs2004.jpg

Exhaust looks v. cool, a lot of time was taken up getting the stupid old stickers off the ammo tins - lots of WD40, a dishcloth and some fierce lengthy rubbing! Luckily I am very good at that. Razz

Anyway I thought the 'explosive' stickers would be amusing, got a pack of 5 for 2 quid or so delivered off fleebay.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/cb250phs2001.jpg

I decided after much deliberation to mount them at the back of the rack, high up, like so...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/cb250phs2002.jpg

Reasons for this - I have no way to properly fabricate any kind of brackets, I got some flat bar off a mate, but fuck knows how I was planning to work it!

So as there were two R shaped brackets already (which had been used to secure that minging top box) I just used them, and the two mounting points of the top of the rack.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/cb250phs2003.jpg

Et voila!!

They feel pretty solid, if I fill them with heavy stuff maybe I'll be able to wheelie everywhere Laughing

The pouches are just 58 pattern kidney pouches from army surplus (£1) which I split into two to go either side. Obviously more for decoration than serious luggage capabilities!! I still need to finalise their fastenings though.

Next on the list is more paint(!) which I hope to complete this weekend.

R is in bold as the karma bot thought I was using fucking text speak!! The cheek of it.

Last edited by Mudskipper on 21:46 - 17 Mar 2008; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

69.9mph
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:06 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking better already Thumbs Up

I think I'd have been inclined to mount the boxes and the pouches the other way round though to keep the weight as low as possible (?)

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxes look pretty cool up there! I was thinking of putting them where your whatsit bags are on my bike, as I suspect you were too- but I like where you've got them!

Definately gotta get me a rat project next year Smile this is looking great.

No blackboard paint yet though- you need blackboard paint so you can write random shit on it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AJI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty tidy, nice one Very Happy I agree with 69.9mph though, wondering if it would look better with the ammo boxes where the bags are. Not that I'm suggesting you want to re-engineer your handiwork though... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 17:18 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that.

Now you can put some weight in those boxes and just wheelie every where Wink

19van71
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:26 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Cool ratbike Reply with quote

Nice job Thumbs Up Very Happy

Carefull the cops don't ask for your Hazmat license with those stickers! Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:28 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: My mean and dirty CB250RS - Phase 2!!! :D Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:

R is in bold as the karma bot thought I was using fucking text speak!! The cheek of it.

You'd normally hyphenate this. So an R-shaped bracket

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good,

im trying to find a decent supplier for hazard stickers, cant find em anywere and only need 1 of 2 different types.

it does look really good though, i think you need some flat bars on there, just like drag bars Smile

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had chance to ride her yet, to see how the handling is with them placed so far back...I guess I could always work something out to get them in the original decided position.

As for the paint...well I was going to do a complicated black/white/grey 'urban' dpm with stencils...however I have now scrapped that cause:

a) It was gonna be far too much work - drying time between layers etc and time is one thing I defo don't have!
b) The cost of the white and two shades of grey paint was too much and
c) I would look like some kind of survivalist power ranger, with my textile jacket matching my bike!!! Neutral Laughing

Soooo... I have now decided to go green. Mr. Green Matt Nato Green, to be precise. I figured it would match up with the boxes and any subsequent military tat I get off my squaddie mate.

Only drawback is my masking will have to be more precise! I am just doing the tank and plastic panels, rest will remain black.

Virus - I was thinking about bars today, actually. I'd quite like straight ones with risers and chop an inch out of the riders seat? Hmm.

I got the stickers off these guys

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cg would be nato green if i could afford it, that paints expensive Crying or Very sad

scooping the seat is easy, go for it.

cheers for the link, will use them if i cant find a supplier of single stickers, i only need one compressed gas and one irritant.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
the cg would be nato green if i could afford it, that paints expensive Crying or Very sad

scooping the seat is easy, go for it.

cheers for the link, will use them if i cant find a supplier of single stickers, i only need one compressed gas and one irritant.

Cheers
John

Doesn't the RBZ shop stock them? I was gonna get my explosive ones off them but they had ran out. I considered 'corrosive' for mine after hacking off that rusty sidestand!!! Laughing

Nato green 400ml spray can - £10.45. By the time I had bought the 3 colours for DPM, I would have spent that anyway!!

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, was my first port of call,

im running low on cash at the moment so i might just make my own paint kinda thing, like that laquer and sand thing you said on RBZ, but with mud and half dried paint. Laughing

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chop the seat and stubby the can!!!11one

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really making me want to go outside and rat my bike. Mine is almost exactly the same, except being a twin.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

and about 50kg heavier Laughing Karma

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 15:19 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought rat bikes followed a form over function ethos.

In that regard, seems that there are far two many de rigeur parts to bolt on to make them a 'rat bike'. I thought the term was more based on whatever was to hand, rather whatever you can get on Ebay. A kind of "that should do, I'll find a way to bolt that on" rather than "I need some ammo boxes and black paint to "Rat" my bike".

Wonder how long until Givi catch on.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Some boring old waffle

Nice mudskipper. Thumbs Up If it were a bigger cc-bike, I would have thought some more securing brackets, or better ones would have been more suitable but for a 250... Thumbs Up

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

So if I hold an opinion that's not among the general consesus of rat bikes=cool, I'm ignored?

Hpmph.

I'm going to start a revolution.

Vive-La-Autoglym.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Laughing

So if I hold an opinion that's not among the general consesus of rat bikes=cool, I'm ignored?

Hpmph.

I'm going to start a revolution.

Vive-La-Autoglym.

come to the dark side, we have barbecue paint Laughing

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
I thought rat bikes followed a form over function ethos.

In that regard, seems that there are far two many de rigeur parts to bolt on to make them a 'rat bike'. I thought the term was more based on whatever was to hand, rather whatever you can get on Ebay. A kind of "that should do, I'll find a way to bolt that on" rather than "I need some ammo boxes and black paint to "Rat" my bike".

Wonder how long until Givi catch on.

This is how I see a rat bike. Theoretically my RX-S is a rat bike. If something needs fixing I will see what I have at hand first. Rat bikes can't just be made but developed over time.

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me where in show and tell I have ever referred to the CB myself as a 'Rat bike' Wink I know full well the rules and ethos.

It is a mean and dirty bike, modified to my taste for the function and appearance I am looking for for this bike.

It fits into no rigid genre. Razz

And it is too bloody light, I nearly got blown into a hedge this morning!! Anyone got a CX500 for sale? Laughing

AJI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
Show me where in show and tell I have ever referred to the CB myself as a 'Rat bike' Wink

Was just about to point that out myself!

Isn't 'rat'
Is cool

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did most of the respraying today, only had 2 and a half hours of garage time so had to get a shimmy on!!

Took a full hour Shocked to sand back the tank. Thing is, the black had been flaking off in places, since I hadn't rubbed the blue enough to key properly originally Rolling Eyes Embarassed So I decided I had to take all the black off, and properly key the blue ready for the Nato green.

Used 240 grit damp wet n dry, was exhausted by the end!! Morale of the story - there is lazy, and then there is so lazy that you end up making extra work for yourself... Laughing

Here's the tank back to blue!! Shocked
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase3001.jpg

No time to waste, a good thick coat of Nato Green 285...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase3002.jpg

Put a spurt on as was running out of time, rubbed the side panels and got them sprayed:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase3003.jpg

Pics are a bit wank, if it doesn't snow tomorrow then I'll put everything back together and take some proper ones.

Will try to do the mudguard too, might keep the tail panel black for now as it doesnt really get seen anyway. Kept the seat off to investigate whether I can chop any height out of it easily.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good, if your thinking of dropping height by bodgery of dropping the seat rails a bit then its major work, damn being such a compact bike Laughing

seats got plenty to give though, easily an inch or 2 there.

cheers
John

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 17 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

All back together...and green!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase3004.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase3005.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase3006.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/super_jo/phase3007.jpg

Frame/engine etc is covered in flecks of blue paint dust sludge Mad so I may...have...to wash it!! Shocked only a bit tho. Razz

Needs another coat on the green and a squirt more VHT on the exhaust (I scraped it parking it secure at my mates over the weekend Rolling Eyes )

Seat is looking far too shiny leather black now, may have to do something to remedy that. Not sure what yet.

Otherwise I am fairly happy! Good bloody job as it is off to it's first rally Thursday. Thumbs Up Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2