Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Really silly question time...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

konrad565
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Really silly question time... Reply with quote

Ok I passed my test yesterday Laughing Very Happy So I'm obviously very happy!

Now it's time to buy a the gear and of course a bike. Thinking of getting a supermoto as they seem loads of fun and they are cheap to buy, cheap insure and cheaper to drop (I'm assuming I will drop my first bike a few times).

This is a bit of a daft quesiton but what does everyone wear when they're out on their supermoto? full leathers? Moto-X gear? What are the best boots to wear?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:06 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear whatever fits best and is most comfortable.

I personally think the "offroad" style helmets with the extended chinbar are something of a liability on the road. Think about what would happen if it dug into the road during a crash.

I used to wear combat trousers, a black leather jacket and a black helmet on my MZ supermoto, but I sometimes wore my black leather jeans too.

In short. Select your gear according to what suits you rather than what others expect you to wear.

Make sure the trousers allow plenty of movement, you need to be able to get your leg over the saddle to get on and you tend to move about a fair bit on a motard.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:24 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't wear moto-x gear on the road. It's not going to protect you from road rash, where leathers will.

MX style helmet is a fashion choice. I'll be getting one shortly as I think a normal road lid looks a bit weird.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Wear whatever fits best and is most comfortable.

I personally think the "offroad" style helmets with the extended chinbar are something of a liability on the road. Think about what would happen if it dug into the road during a crash.

+1

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:04 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offroad kit is designed, primarily, for impact absorption on relativelt soft or uneven ground, where sliding is minimal.

On the road, you need abrasion resistance as well as impact absorbption.

a

meach
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:40 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your test pass.
Stinkwheel's comment is good about what suits you rather than what others expect you to wear Thumbs Up
Nobody has mentioned textiles????
And Sidi Courier boots are highly recommended although some find them a bit restrictive.
https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/Picts/Stock_128000000001.jpg
And Gazdaman is right, a normal road lid does look a bit weird.
This is my helmet but mine has obligatory black visor
https://www.buysellhub.com/user_images/5009887.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 10:02 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find that lid?

I found them on eBay. That's one of the obscure 'Airoh' ones isn't it.

I've been looking at that one, the wulfsport prima:
https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/leaforge/Helmets/BLACKPRIMAVISOR.jpg

And the Marushin x-moto:
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/3/4/2/4/6/7/webimg/102515457_tp.jpg

The x-moto's visor got a pretty poor write up. It has no 'clicky' positions. Just friction from the screws on the side. And the Wulfsport is about 2/3rds of the price, and looks just as good with the visor removed and goggles used.

MX boots can be got quite cheap, they look good. But I tend to wear my boots walking around too.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:43 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine has one and says the visor slightly distorts your vision depending on the level you look through it at. I personally couldn't cope with that, it would give me a headache.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 10:53 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review said that too.

That's really put me off of the x-moto. And the price.
Although I wore Korn's expensive Arai version and that was just fine. But I suppose that's what you get when you spend £200.

Gaz

konrad565
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:

MX boots can be got quite cheap, they look good.

Gaz

So would you recommend MX boots rather than road/race boots?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:54 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've not tried MX boots. But I don't think they'd work for me. I'm wearing my bike boots at the moment. And if you're using a bike everyday, or even more regularly than just weekend fun you'll probably want something easier to walk in.

MX boots are notoriously inflexible at the ankle. Personally I'd try some on in a shop before commiting to some.

I wear race boots at the moment, but if some MX ones come up cheap I'll give them a go.

Gaz

konrad565
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
Personally I've not tried MX boots. But I don't think they'd work for me. I'm wearing my bike boots at the moment. And if you're using a bike everyday, or even more regularly than just weekend fun you'll probably want something easier to walk in.

MX boots are notoriously inflexible at the ankle. Personally I'd try some on in a shop before commiting to some.

I wear race boots at the moment, but if some MX ones come up cheap I'll give them a go.

Gaz

I'll only be using the bike for weekends. So I take it that it doesn't make much of a difference which I go for? (I'll try some on and just see which are more comfortable)

meach
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:05 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
How do you find that lid?

I found them on eBay. That's one of the obscure 'Airoh' ones isn't it.

Gaz

Its an Airoh S4. It can be quite noisy at speed and the visor doesn't close the best but i love it. I think it looks good especially with the dark visor and it gives me alot more peripheral vision than my other helmet and for the price they are amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisstone
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:13 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your going for it supermoto boots a must but since you just starting you may be just taking it easy then normal boots and leathers would be fine def leathers since one day hopfully never you might come of and it burn i can tell you that much i had my leg crushed a couple of years ago it hurt also went over car last year bugger that burned all skin of my back and leg

so enjoy it but wear the good gear

konrad565
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking around and talking to different people and have decided to go for a Suzuki DRZ400 SM, Supermoto Leathers (not sure where from), Alpinestar Tech 3's and and ''supermoto helmet''. Really wanted the Arai X-Tour but at £300+ it's a bit too expensive, I really like the Airoh S4, the HJC CLXS or the Shoei Hornet DS (Bit steep).

Not really sure any ideas (with regards to the helmet)?[/img]

chrisstone
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:22 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marushin x-moto i got black one of these had it for a year no issues nice helmet cant say anything bad looks good diff aswell ,its well priced i mean ive got 60k in bikes and could by any helmet but thought this was ok and it is and if you drop it so what buy another one Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1