Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

v twins or inline 4

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't got any experience of anything higher than a 600cc IL4. But for the smaller capacity machines I would choose a V4. A good mix of the two without being either too ploddy or so revvy you just can't be arsed to keep turning the throttle.

Two strokes on the other hand anything will do, fantastic.

Nixon
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:21 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: v twins or inline 4 Reply with quote

Quote:
makes about 30 - 40 bhp.
kicks in when you get high up the rev range
real sense of acheivement when you rev it hard.
epic exhaust note

what you want is a two stroke Laughing you know it makes sence!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:32 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never riden a Vtwin so cant comment on them.

Ive owned a 125cc Single, Honda XL125.
Loved its bullet proof reliability. Obviously power delivery wasn't all that. It was good for 70~ at a push.

Had a couple of CBR400s (IL4 of course)
Love them all the way, Ok at 160kg and only delivering 60bhp, They arent exactly the rockets of the bike world. But they will still give 99% of cars you meet on the road a good run for its money up to license loosing speeds.

Had a VFR400 too. Bought it, Grew a hate for it from day one.
Removed the restrictive horrible end can. Bolted on a straight through Art Slip on. It unleashed a new beast. Sounded infinitely better and had a damn sight more low down grunt. (became wheelie-able).

Still prefer the IL4 over the V4 though. Just alot more fond of the roll on response, The sound and the power delivery. The V4 seemed to have a terrible lag. Although once rolling at around 30mph, It didn't half have some good mid range.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daz_d_biker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:26 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
anyways we all know that kwak h2 750 2t triple is the best sounding bike ever Cool
just listen to the awesomeness

Cheers
John

Definately... My dad has one Laughing

I think i prefer the sound of the 2t triple, power delivery and revvyness of the v4 and IL4's are overall...good!

Daz.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:36 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

anyways we all know that kwak h2 750 2t triple is the best sounding bike ever Cool

Nearly right but you can't hear one coming from three miles away Mr. Green .
250cc, inline 6 with 6-6 megaphone exhaust

MP3 of the same dopplering along the start-finish straight at Brands Hatch

I am reliably informed the sound causes spontaneous praipism at 200 paces in real life.

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: v twins or inline 4 Reply with quote

half_lyfe wrote:
since my sv blew up ive been on an inline 4 for a while.
i dont know what the bike is, its an old shitter, but it makes about 30 - 40 bhp.

Confused How do you not know what bike your riding? surely you have some idea, if for nothing but insurance and other paperwork.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TUBZ69
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
virus wrote:

I am reliably informed the sound causes spontaneous praipism at 200 paces in real life.

thats the best sounding bike ive ever heard Thumbs Up

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood all the bollocks about il4's lacking go in the mid range Confused use the gears, they have an astronomical rev range after all!
Twin riders always go on about how they dont have to change down to overtake... tbh, if youre in the right gear, as you should be, there wont be a problem Laughing

My ZX6 iirc, pulled hard from 60 in 3rd up to something like 120 mph. Thats pretty damn flexible.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
virus wrote:

holy shit i may have to go shower now Cool Laughing

that does sound pretty cool, but does it match the kz1300?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B-CrUqOYzY&feature=related

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 15:51 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram_doom wrote:
I've never understood all the bollocks about il4's lacking go in the mid range Confused use the gears, they have an astronomical rev range after all!
Twin riders always go on about how they dont have to change down to overtake... tbh, if youre in the right gear, as you should be, there wont be a problem Laughing

My ZX6 iirc, pulled hard from 60 in 3rd up to something like 120 mph. Thats pretty damn flexible.

The problem with Inline 4s is they HAVE to be revved to move, especially 600s, my cbr600rr was terrible for it, it was fun to ride sure, but you had to be at 10,000rpm+ all the time, which gets you in trouble.
When you ride a twin you dont have to rev the bollocks off the to get the same feeling of speed hense to expression 'loads of midrange'
Otherwise surely we are talking about 'loads of top end' if we are talking about powerband punch and using the right gears ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

acwman
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I do prefer the V twins on the Road. I'm drawn to the new KTM RC8 at the moment.... but There is part of me which misses my old GSXR600..and that part is pointing me towards a gsxr1000..

Got to try and convince the other half that I'm in need of good weather bike.. Confused
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/

Tango675
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:03 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like V-Twins, its a personal choice. I have driven IL4's in cars for ages and wanted something different when I got a bike.

I think we, as motorcyclists are really spoilt for choice when it comes to engines:

Small cc Singles and V-twins
Big thumper Singles, V-twins, Boxer Twins, Tripples, IL4, V4, Boxer 6
Air Cooled/Oil Cooled/Water cooled
and I am sure I have missed a few.

I think its different strokes for different folks, Not everyone wants to go fast and not everyone wants to go hunting powerbands.
personally, I think noise is a big thing for me and a 650 V-twin has the edge over a 600 IL4 in the noise stakes imho.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:13 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram_doom wrote:

Problem is that on an unknown road you land up forced to use the gears, which ultimatly slows most people down.

Peaky power delivery can be fun, and in the right situation a peakier but more powerful bike will be faster. But for much of the time for most riders a less peaky and more forgiving power delivery will be rather faster.

Torque is more related to engine stroke than capacity. Torque is what makes you go fast (hp is basically irrelevant). However while a 4 will have a shorter stroke and so less torque, it will manage to make its torque at higher revs. So for the same road speed it can use lower gearing. As your acceleration is from thrust which is basically defined by torque * gearing, the lower gear ratio (which for the purpose of that equation means a higher gearing number) the 4s use gives them an advantage there.

In racing the classes are often defined by a fairly random capacity limit, and that automatically gives the 4s an advantage (and would give a V8 even more of an advantage, except most classes randomly limit the number of cylinders to 4). Equally randomly you could limit the engines to a max cylinder wall area which would give the twins an advantage. Thus to even things up the twins are often given a capacity advantage.

All the best

Keith

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
G wrote:

And I've never understood people's preference to V4s over IL4s Smile.

Philistine.

A) They sound like jesus
B) You get low down VTwin grunt, and an IL4 peak
C) They sound like jesus

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:43 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

No reason why they should at all. The low down power / top end power has nothing to do with where the cylinders point.

All the best

Keith

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought it would be to do with being able to fit a longer stroke in a more acceptable space with a V4.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:22 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXS100_Chris wrote:
I'd have thought it would be to do with being able to fit a longer stroke in a more acceptable space with a V4.

A few mm of stroke is neither here nor there compared to the size of things like the heads.

Although possibly a V shape does limit using a larger bore / short con rod just due to clearance between pairs of cylinders.

All the best

Keith

chrisstone
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:42 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait till the new aprilia v4 comes out then will see power,
but i'm sort stuck inline 4 faster but yet i always go for vtwin yet did have r1 for a bit til transit van hit me head on.
But yer fast bike nice inline four def. yet i ride new mille factory but gone for looks on this bike got to slow it down a bit .

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 20:54 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

How'd you figure that one out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single Cylinder FTW! Laughing

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
Toby R wrote:

How'd you figure that one out?

From how I feel the V4 I've ridden compares to the V2s and IL4s I've ridden? Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
From how I feel the V4 I've ridden compares to the V2s and IL4s I've ridden? Rolling Eyes

That will be more down to how your choice of V4 has been tuned compared to the V2 and IL4s.

All the best

Keith

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Toby R wrote:

That will be more down to how your choice of V4 has been tuned compared to the V2 and IL4s.

All the best

Keith

True, but that's what going on experience does Smile

Thanks K,

T

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:40 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

No reason why they should at all. The low down power / top end power has nothing to do with where the cylinders point.

Ahh. But they do. What has reason got to do with anything? If you applied reason to motorcycle manufacturing where would we be now?

For one thing a certain piano maker in the 1960's wouldn't have built an engine that exceeded the then accepted maximum possible piston velocity.

For another thing, nobody would build 2-strokes. I mean really. An engine that has both the fresh fuel and exhaust gas in the cylinder at the same time? And the exhaust gas just shuffles its way out though a hole of its own accord leaving the fuel behind? You're joking right?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4