Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going to look at /buy this DT-R 125 tomorrow ..thoughts ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:17 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Going to look at /buy this DT-R 125 tomorrow ..thoughts ? Reply with quote

Hi folks, could have my 1st bike tomorrow, been looking for weeks now and trying to decide between the kmx or dt, dt might of swung it and this ones came up

1998 , 16k miles ,12 months mot, datatool alarm, data tagged, new parts been put on, lots of reciepts and some spares,its standard and not been messed with, well maintained and looked after and the owners bought a bigger bike that hes going to be working on when i turn up tomorrow, hes also a bit older by the sounds of it and not a nipper and sounds like a nice bloke

https://img388.imageshack.us/img388/4411/1998yamahadtr1251iq4.jpg

https://img388.imageshack.us/img388/8489/1998yamahadtr125lj8.jpg

what do you think ? , looks really clean to me, said the pics were taken sunday, looks real nice and clean to me !!! Very Happy

im taking someone with me who knows a bit about bikes and engines , but i wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on things to ask and look for and how to tell a good dt from a bad one and if i its a really good one and a bargain or to be avoided ?

and any rough valuations of it and thoughs on it !!

cheers folks Very Happy

superslick
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:23 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Polsta

All i can say is make sure you ride before you buy (owner permitting!!) . Check that the gears select properly, no inconspicuous knocks or clangs (although the odd rattle is to be expected), check all the electrics and looks for any buckles in the wheels or any major leaks in the suspension. Apart from that just do the basic checks aswell i.e. tyres and plastics but these aren't to major as they are easy and usually cheap enough to replace.

I once went to look at a bike i was planning on buying but the only thing keeping the engine running was the idling screw almost fully open and a spacer on the accelerator cable to stop it cutting out! But that dt looks like a beauty, if everything is where it should be..dive in there head first and get the cheque book out! Cool

Ta

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thanks mate , took me a while to find one im keen on with the right details, the fact its only 16k and got a datatool alarm and datatagged ,and loads fo reciepts etc shows its been a valued and look after bike which is what ive been looking for as opposed to a pile of abused crap !

im not gonna be riding it myself as ive never rode one, but my mate whos driving the van up does a lot of motorcross and has had motorcross bikes all his life, so hel knows whas what engine and gear wise and how she drives !

any advice on dt things in particular and tell an ok one froma really good one or anything ? any little tell tale signs of anything etc ?

if its as good as it looks and sounds and is all as it should be, i shall have it here by the afternoon making it as clean as possible in the garden lol

im quite excited to be honest Cool Very Happy

im just waiting for a replacement provisional to come back in the post then i can book my cbt up and get out on the road !

superslick
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:57 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well iv mainly ridden Aprillia's before but as i said the main thing to look out for on these bikes is the gearboxes, you dont want a clunky or rattly gearbox nor one that is so worn it basically "falls" into gear and slips out alot as they are a nightmare to learn on.

one thing i will say is put an acerbis or polisport blue front mudguard on and a smart enduro looking headlight as the standard ones arnt the nicest design.
(https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alien-Enduro-Motocross-Fairing-Headlight-Blue_W0QQitemZ380007991965QQihZ025QQcategoryZ122304QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem)

Ta, Jon

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:19 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one ! ive seen those lights on dts ive looked at on ebay etc

in fact from the pics, the only things i thought had any issues was the slight fading of the blue on the 2 bits you mentione,d head light and mudguard !

il have a bit of cahs to spend and might buy those bits,and a full exhaust system too , any idea what good ones are ? most seem to have dep or big one`s !

cheers mate Very Happy Cool

superslick
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:27 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you can get the full D.E.P performance exhaust systems for about £220-240 but you would obviously have to make adjustments to the carb jetting so a bigger main jet at the least would be essential.

maybe put some renthal bars, grips, bar pad and a swanky graphics on if you want it to look good without breaking the bank, oh and definately change those handguards! get some wrap around acerbis ones on that are re-inforced with metal, i picked some up for my aprilia for around £30, they look the part and will save you money in the long run because you are more than likely to drop the bike afew times when learning and its a pain waiting for new levers to come in the post due to the old ones snapping.

pimp it out i say Cool

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:38 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound advice mate !!! il get right on them hand guard things

i plan to keep the bike years, and will be spending money on it and make it look and perform as nice as possibe over time, is the dep exhaust the best one ? how much does the carb jetting cost to make it all proper ? or is that something a bike mechanic minded person could do ?

saw an advert for this fella on ebay,hes only local so i emailed asking how much them helet jobs and bike work costs roughly,imagine a dt witha custom paint job and matching helmet lol Cool Cool Cool , not got a clue if were talking stupid or reasonable amounts of money tho,looks amazing work !!

www.oldboyart.co.k

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

those alien headlights are absolute shit, not only are they useless they are fucken ugly as well,
the dt looks to be in fairly good condition,
i would find out if its had a rebuild, as at 16000 miles it'll be due for one soon if it hasnt had one already,
look at the discs to see if there is any scoring, its an expense you dont really want when buying a new bike,
good luck
Thumbs Up

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:00 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

he says its had many new parts and got lots of reciepts

im compiling a list of what to look for and ask !! lol

what do you mena by scoring on the discs exactly ?

im hoping my mate whos taking me tomorrow will be right on the ball anyway but i want to be armed with as much as possible aswell to ensure all goes well !

thanks for the help and advice , appriciate it ! Very Happy

superslick
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:10 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

you buy it mate?

chrisstone
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:49 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good nick are they 4 stroke now i use to have dt 125 when i was a kid many years ago i loved it to bits
ive lost count how many bikes i had since then but still remember it well
enjoy get it serviced and checked out
look after it and it will look after you.
you can jet carb easy also get reeds & open power valve dep pipe k&n air filter and your away

good luck with it Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

big thanks for the help people, appriciate al that people have said on here to me in the past week or so, top forum-top people !! ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

drove up today, had a good feeling about it , as id been looking a while now,the seller was a good bloke,and at 28 he wasnt a younger owner, a sensible type of lad whod looked after and cherished it, he was mechanicly minded too and had well maintianed it and loved the bike and only taken it out in good weather,never off roaded it, and had done 400 miles in a year and mostly just on nice sundays ! lived in a nice plush area ina nice house, parents were there and nice people, far from a chav abuser type owner

we checked it right over for a good long time going through everything mentioned in this thread and every detail, couldnt find a fault with it, couple of scratches on the mudguard and some stickyness where an L plate had been on top of the headlight bit, that was it !! very very clean bike, took the pi** out of another 1998 i looked at 2 weeks ago that was beat to death and wanted £750 not a penny less, by speaking to him and the way he talked about the bike you could tell he loved the bike and had treasured it, he was a god bloke and a careful owner who had spent money on it whenever it needed and never cut corners or neglected it or even taken it off road , he wasnt that type !

the tyes are great, the sprockets and chain are new not long ago and in super order, it had the pistons done before the last mot 400 miles ago, got stacks of reciepts for every penny spent on it from him and the previous owner, all paperwork,haynes manual, all paperwork for the datatag,the datatool alarm which is a nice alarm, log book - frame and engine numbers match, its a lovely lovely bike thats been very very well looked after , had a box of spares, loads of paperwork like past mot slips etc ,it went straight through the mot last week

my mate was brilliant for me, asked all the right questions, checked it all over with me, took it for a drive, he told me it drove brilliantly and engine was sound as a pound, grears/gear box was all perfect, the bikes all totaly standard and not been tweaked or abused in any way at all, the bike even had wing mirrors on which ive taken off already !

after haggling for a while,i paid £840 for it for a gleaming 1998 dt with all its got,im lovin it !!! he made me promise to look after it, which for a bike of this standard with all it has got,datataged, alarm, all history paperwork n reciepts, year mot , im over the moon and my mate said ive got a lush dt !!!!! Cool Cool bargain or what ?

all in all im over the moon and my patience and homework i put in has paid off, read so many hours and looked at hindreds of pics, read and asked as much as i could all over the show, thought long n hard, checked and watched shed loads of bikes on ebay and from any and every site and source as i could find, searching for the one, and today shes come home to pappa !!! lol

heres some pics i took after i got it to its new home Very Happy Very Happy, let me know your thoughts and opinions,and i look forward to getting on the road and a nice long summer of dt love and being a bike owner on the forum at last !!! lol , thanks every body ,polsta

https://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9997/dt125r800x600oq2.jpg

https://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7193/dt125r2800x600fz6.jpg

https://img366.imageshack.us/img366/550/dt125r3800x600yx2.jpg

https://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4846/dt125r4800x600lq7.jpg

https://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8349/dt125r5800x600iy7.jpg

https://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6003/dt125r6800x600vp1.jpg

https://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4871/dt125r7800x600rj6.jpg Very Happy Very Happy Cool

chrisstone
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks very sweet,
just take it easy at first get use to it dont be like me when i was young i spent near enough 2 years of my life in hospital you can have fun on a bike but do it safe keep it clean and serviced and it wont de value much more you got a good bargin. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Madmanx
World Chat Champion

Its in beautiful condition , I'm glad you went for that one and you'll have loads of fun with it.
Just a bit of personalisation to detail and you'll never forget your first bike. (wish my first one was as nice as that)
Mine was a DT100. GL and happy hooning.

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly

Looks a very good deal you got there Thumbs Up One thing; if you are a learner, surely it would be better to have mirrors on?

Joe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you finally got one m8 Thumbs Up looks really smart.

I have to say though,they look better with the blue seat Wink .

So what you doing on here posting,you should be out riding it Laughing .

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with applejoe,regardless if your a learner or not,keep the mirrors. Thumbs Up

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fellas Very Happy Very Happy im ghuffed to bits

lol that bikes better than my 1st, i had a suzuki roadie moped about 11 years ago, lol shuda seen it , then i had a honda step through thing that served me well !!

im just so chuffed with the condition of it, i wanted a great base of abike and ive got one, couldnt of asked for more for under a grand, he wanted a grand for it too !! and it was worth it, seen em on ebay finish at that reserve not met !!

i love the fact hes spent money on the security on it,and all the history and paperwork, what an absoloute bargain , im pinching myself !! lol

i wont be abusing it,and will take my time to really get to know it,never really driven a geared bike before, so willt ake time to learn and get used to the bike, had a wee little go up and down the car park just to have my 1st ride of it , she felt great !! Very Happy Cool

cant wait to buy a few bits for it and make it that little bit more personal and better, acerbis hand grips and protecter things are 1st up, and maybe a full dep exhaust ina couple of months if its worth spending £200 on ? wouldnt mind seeing/hearing one 1st

im just pondering what to do with the white panel side bits ? not sure weather to leave as they are or put some numbers or some sort of stickets or something on ?

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:13 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fellas, its dark and raining ,and ive not done my cbt yet or got a crash helmet !! lol Sad Sad Sad , im waiting for my provisional replacement to arrive too,should be a week,2 max

i took the mirrors off for the pics,and one of them was a bit iffy, il get some better ones and will defo be using them for the road for sure

the seats in great nick so il leave that be for this year probably,and geta new one over the winter, im gonna spend the next few weeks compiling a shopping list and looking at pics of others and deciding exactly how i want it to look,ive got a great base and im a happy man and gonna have lots of fun Very Happy

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polsta wrote:
and maybe a full dep exhaust ina couple of months if its worth spending £200 on ? wouldnt mind seeing/hearing one 1st

IMO no not worth spending 200 quid on,but it's all personal preference.They do look good,my standard de-restricted exhaust sounded 99.9% the same as the dep system.

As for what it sounds like,i must have give you the link to this site a 100 times now (did you even look? Laughing ) but theres loads of vid clips and sound clips here www.dtr125.net

Personally if i had another dtr i would de-restrict the front pipe,and fit a big-one rear silencer.....

Madmanx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those BigOne exhausts are cool Thumbs Up

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:49 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen the site mate LOL, not had an extensive look round it and seen the vid or sound clips yet tho, but will be doing now i have one and didnt get a kmx !, il be having a good look around it tomorrow !

the de-restriction stuff is all on there, i wont be de restricting anything or fiddling with anything non cosmetic wise until im fully used to the bike and have a good few hours/weeks ride time and im 100% comfortable and familiar with the bike and how she rides and works

so is de restricting the front pipe an easy/hard job ? and is the big one back bit better than the dep would you say ? , ive not looked in to them yet i just presumed dep was the peoples choice and better as thats what most have got ?

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big one exhausts are slightly cheaper,but i just like the looks of them compared to the new dep silencers.

As for de-restriction,the exhaust has to be cut in half to have restrictions removed,so you would have to pay your local welder a couple of quid to do it.But the info on how to do that is on that site,and is not as big a deal as it sounds Laughing .
Yeah i would say if it's totally restricted now,get used to the bike first because there is a huge difference in power with all the restrictors out Very Happy Thumbs Up (wheelie machine)

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:08 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thumbs Up

gonna look right in to it all today, so if i bought a big one/dep exhaust system they have no restiction issues in them do they ?

id maybe rather do that and keep the standard system in one un fiddled with piece so it can be put back on if need be as its in great condition aswel, as my bikes in great standard condition,il keep all the original parts so it can be put back that way id need be in the future somewhen

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the best bike by the looks of it mate, That must be the one i couldn't find on the autotrader page, Well done it looks like youve got a bargain Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2