Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gloves and Helmet for Road / Green lane riding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:18 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Gloves and Helmet for Road / Green lane riding Reply with quote

i need to get a helmet and gloves for road riding and light off road and green lane riding , that go with my blue dt 125 and look good but also give good safety and protection and usability

are motorcross style helmets and goves good for this ?

can anyone point out any good makes and doos and donts when looking and any advice at all ?

thanks Very Happy

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 19:28 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the helmet front get one that protects your head.

On the glove front get some that protect your hands.

On a more serious note, all helmets sold in the UK must adhere to certain regulations. So as long as you get one that fits proper (important!) then they'll all protect to a similar standard.

MX helmets are fine for on and off road. Some say they have a narrow field of vision, but realistically they're fine.

For gloves, get what you feel comfortable with. If you're using it on road I'd get some with a proper cuff, rather than real MX gloves which are just sturdier bicycle gloves. So get something you like the look of, fit nicely and you can afford.

This isn't a question that has an answer, it depends what you like and can afford. The important things are how well they fit. Especially with a helmet.

And with gloves, I'd get road biased ones because they'll have better abrasion resistance because sliding down the road sucks more than sliding down mud. Hence road gloves are tougher, and guess what it is that you put down first when you fall off a bike.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:43 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply !

im gonna go out this week to local shops and try on a few and see what size i am exactly, and what type i find most comfortable and i like best ,and try a motocross style with goggles on and see what i think, i plan on getting a visor type for when its colder/rain and road riding, and an off road style for if i go out to do some off roading ,what one il get 1st is what i like the look/fit of best and the best one for me now,same wioth gloves, i have to pay out for a cbt,insurance,hat,gloves,locks etc, so ideally dont wanna spend a fortune, but also want good proteciton

are there any makes to avoid ? as i have no idea

this dixon one for £50 with goggles seems a good deal bu would it be good/ok or cheap and nasty or ok or what ?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280209067550&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

would there be a lot of difference between one like this at double the price ?

[/url]https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330221140525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014[url]

thought this black one looked ok and had a visor but looked off road like too almost ?

again i want some road ones that look a bit motocross like for road, and il get some motocross ones too for when im off road and dont wanna get my road ones all muddy etc, as for these kind of prices its rude not to !

heres a few gloves ive seen ,any good ?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280210110890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250226671884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220215355910&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

appriciate any advice on all of those if pos Very Happy , cheers ![/url]

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:52 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dixon lid I think it's the same model as that one but in different colours.

I'm really impressed by it's quality for the money, I wouldn't have guessed it was a £35 lid.

Go for it, as a starter lid I can't fault it, in fact, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:20 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks joe !! they have them in 3 colors , bargain with £25 goggles with it for £53 inc delivery i thought ! ...is it safe for the road and a helmet id feel comfortable/safe in knowing its good protection ?

i am willing to pay more, but as i want to get a road/visor one too for pure road riding and to and from work,and to use in colder and rain if need be, then that dixon one for the price would be a bargain

if i got that, i could get gloves, and a lock all for around a ton say, thats ideal, locks last to get tho once ive got insured and done the cbt as the bikes not going anywhere until then, but i need to get a lid so i can at least have a nip round on private

found this place, is not too far away from me, so im gonna pop in their shop and try some on n have a look round

https://www.dirtbikebitz.com/

Max77
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:46 - 26 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

concider getting body protation as well.
your back is as important as your head.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2008-SIXSIXONE-MOTOCROSS-PRESSURE-SUIT-BODY-ARMOUR_W0QQitemZ370034317076QQihZ024QQcategoryZ42507QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:58 - 26 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnily enough i was looking at it in the shop earlier today , il defo be getting some after ive got the basics and im on the road , i wont be going off road anyway until im really familiar with the bike, even then il ease in to it, cant see myself doing jumps and going crazy anyway, will be more just dirt tracks and lanes and little bit of mud n that Cool

Max77
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:20 - 26 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit pricey to gear up I know, but worth evey penny in the long run.
Ive lost count of the times my suit saved me from a trip to A&E Smile
and that was on dirt tracks, lanes and little bit of mud Wink

Your enjoy the lanes, its all good fun. Wink

Polsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:01 - 26 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

i cant wait to gte out there, il be posting when i do i should imagine !!

therres some great places round these parts !

Max77
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:47 - 29 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the plain. to see what its like. ive made a video of our spin last monday.
it gives ya an idea of whats there.
check out the motocross boys and there jumps near the end.

https://www.trotter77.freeserve.co.uk/salisbury_plain_easter_monday.htm
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1