Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

v twins or inline 4

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ben.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:21 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: v twins or inline 4 Reply with quote

since my sv blew up ive been on an inline 4 for a while.
i dont know what the bike is, its an old shitter, but it makes about 30 - 40 bhp.

I love the way the power kicks in when you get high up the rev range on an inline 4. You get a real sense of acheivement when you rev it hard.
But i really miss the grunt the sv has, you can sit in 3rd at 30, whack the throttle open, get an epic exhaust note and its just relentless power all the way up to redline.

Im not sure which i prefer, i like the power delievery when your working the bike on the 4, but i also like the low down grunt when your working the bike on the sv.

Commuting, got to be the v twin, you can be lazy and be quick

weekend bike, im still undecided, i really love the sound the sv makes when you go full throttle low down the revs, and i like the way you can power full the full rev range, accelerating all the way through.
I think if they made a 600 v twin that had the same power output as a sports 600 i would have that any day, but untill then i wont be able to afford the insurance for a litre twin Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:29 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

IL4 ftw.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 03:34 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have both, get a triple

https://images.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0308_z+sv650_dyno+hp_torque_copy.jpg

https://images.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0607_01_z+600cc_shootout+dynochart_tq_copy.jpg

https://images.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0607_01_z+600cc_shootout+dynochart_hp_copy.jpg

Ben.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:48 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Have both, get a triple

perfect answer, shame the only sports triple is the daytona? not to fond of the daytona.

(on the sv forum, every person that has gone from an sv to a sports 600 has gone to the daytona)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 03:50 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what the magazines have been saying, it's the best 600 sports out there ATM. I'm trying to decide between that and a TL as my next bike.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 04:09 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This crap again.

v twins don't go faster they just get louder.

Get an il4 and tear up the roads.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 04:32 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people will go quicker on an unknown road on a twin than a four, or at least something with accessible grunt. Fours are ultimately quicker as they make more power, simple as.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revvy IL4's suck on the road.

I have more fun on my 900ss than my old gsxr. It's slower and down on power but atleast you can actually use it.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=131572=0

Is a good read. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:58 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both suck. Get a V4. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:31 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said many times..
Useable mid-range relates to CC rather than the number of cylinders.
If you're saying "twins with 33% more capacity than a four have more midrange" fair enough!

Triples are the worst of both worlds Smile.

Garth: for me I generally enjoy a lack of power, however I know how to use the throttle and gears, so a revvy bike is fine, nay, better on the road for me Wink.
As above, if you went for something like, say, a 900cc fireblade, you'd probably find you have similar midrange go - probably quite a lot more if you geared them the same too!

And I've never understood people's preference to V4s over IL4s Smile.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:34 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

And I've never understood people's preference to V4s over IL4s Smile.

Philistine.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Garth: for me I generally enjoy a lack of power, however I know how to use the throttle and gears, so a revvy bike is fine, nay, better on the road for me

Slow bikes are fun.
Revvy bikes are fun until they become too quick.

I like the goose because I can thrash it everywhere. I like the 900ss because it's good for doing a bit of distance yet still handles. And, it's got bags of grunt where I need it in 90% of normal road riding.

I didn't like my Gsxr because it was only happy when it was being thrashed and had bugger all mid range. Makes road riding a bit of a chore and frustrating.

MarkyPancake
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:16 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ridden inline fours, but want to own a Duc for a year at some point in my riding life.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
I've only ridden inline fours, but want to own a Duc for a year at some point in my riding life.

I've had mine two weeks, and it's broken Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i dont know what the bike is, its an old shitter, but it makes about 30 - 40 bhp.

Aint that about 10X too much bhp for you to be safe Wink Karma

Quote:
Commuting, got to be the v twin, you can be lazy and be quick

Can be just the same on a inline 4, Divvy pulls fine from 2K in top to the red line and still has enough grunt to beat most cars. You don't have to rev the nuts off to get the best out of them.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 15:42 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned various Inline 4 bikes, and ridden dosens, still prefer V-twins all the way.
Better all round bikes, Inline 4 engine characteristics seem to be more suited for track riding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:02 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote here for a V4.
Nice torque and it can shift as and when required Very Happy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find 4 strokes boring. And that's all of them. Laughing

2 Strokes FTW. Thumbs Up

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

having ridden singles, parallel twins and il4s, id much rather have a single. bucketfuls of torque, and they sound fantastic with a good exhaust on. il4s just sound dead and character less to me, however a 600cc single with a carbon fibre race can just sounds like a complete hooligan tool, and always puts a smile on my face.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an inline 4 sounds characterless, you're either not twisting the throttle enough or are in the wrong gear Wink.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well they sound like a lawnmower at idle, at half throttle they sound pretty good, but on the redline they just sound like a very loud angry hoover IMO.

that said there are a few out there that make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when they go past.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

that said there are a few out there that make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when they go past.

Indeed. Go to Snetterton Pit-straight and hear a 16k rpm R6 scream past at 100mph and rising next to a big single and see which sounds more characterful Smile.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

each to there own i suppose.

anyways we all know that kwak h2 750 2t triple is the best sounding bike ever Cool
just listen to the awesomeness

Cheers
John

Fahd
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love inline 4's, they sound like they put much more effort into it when they are at high rev's. To be perfectly honest V-Twins remind me too much of a crappy four stroke 125. Thumbs Down
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4